does anybody make there own clothes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    hey just wonderin if anybody makes there own clothes cuz i've made some jumpers and tops and stuff but i've got this black net to make a top with and i'm just wonderin what to do with the ends on it, any ideas?
  2. Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Jun 18, 2002
    GY - England
    i made a pair of gloves out of some socks once. Does that count?
  3. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    the thought was there
  4. i often make my own clothes, recently made a few other things aswell, like a tie. fishnet top! oooooh! get a t-shirt and cut out holes from it, and where the holes are put some of the netty stuff. thats is tres cool. oh and for the ends, you and sorta fold it back and cross stitch it to the other sides, or burn them with a lighter so they dont shrivel out. i'd have to see the material though. thats my best advice!
  5. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i'll try that t shirt thing man it sounds cool ;) another thing is get some tights, stockings, or fishnets and cut them near the waist then cut and sew sum wide elastic to keep it up and cut finger holes in then put a t shirt over it, its real cool. how did ur tie turn out?
  6. I made some bondo pants. They're greatness.
    Normal pair of black pants, slit the legs. Fill in with plaid courderoy, making the leg openings HUGE. Add random zippers, and long straps in the back (make sure they cross)

Viola. Home made bondo pants. :rolleyes:
  7. whoa! i wanna do that.
  8. whoa this gets the award for:

Thread least likely to apear on the talkbass forums

:rolleyes: :D
  9. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I made a hat out of pants.
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i can make chain mail and leather armor...does that count?
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I sewed throughout most of my life, but in the past few years have lost the feeling in my fingertips, so I can no longer tie knots or thread needles. It has made it much harder to sew, thus I seldom do it anymore.

Some ideas for that black net. Net is more effective if it is gathered or ruffled as in ballerinas' tutus or as in a wedding veil. I assume you mean the black net you puchased is a delicate woven net and not "fishnet" size with large holes. What you do with the netting depends largely on this distinction, because the much larger and courser "fishnet" netting lends itself better to use as a trim and does not respond as well as finer net to ruffling and gathering.

The larger net would look good with flesh, white, red, or black silk or satin underneath it. Both fabrics can be sewn as if one peice. You could make a cool tank top or a top with spahgetti straps that way.

However, if the netting is the finer net, gather it very tightly to make ruffles as a trim. Or sew long lengths of it to your garment to give a gothic look or let it trail behind like a bridal train or drape it over your shoulders like a stowl. You can sew many panels of it to the waistband of your skirt/dress, again for a gothic, Elvira look.

Trouble is, I don't know what look you are going for...biker chick, dominatrix, or whispy gothic chick or vampiress. The thicker fishnet works for the first two. The finer, more delicate net works for the last two.

If I had a scanner, I would draw some designs and send them to you. Check some goth web sites for ideas. Also check jean Paul Gauthier designs.
  12. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    the only thing ive made was wrapping a belt strap in electrical tape and putting on a 8-ball buckle i found at some shop with a bunch of buckles.
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i've made a belt buckel out of chewing gum, a paper clip, and some toothpicks...

well...okay. i've never made any article of clothing.

i can at least dress myself, though.

well...i plan on learning one of these days...

okay, i'll try to put some relevant words in.

one of my friends kinda made his own t-shirt designs...kinda. he pressed on the words "thank god for devan" (his name) and has another shirt with his face on it. sure, he didn't ACTUALLY make the shirts...but it's funny, and isn't that what the off-topic forum all about?

:confused: :confused:

no, it's not!
  14. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    um i'm not really into skirts and dresses being male an all but there was last halloween which i won't go into...

i'll keep your advise in mind though for edging bits and stuff.
    btw my nets thin with little honeycomb type holes in it.