Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody modify their amps or cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Hello,
    I was wondering if there are tweakers in this forum, do you modify your amps, heads or cabinets and simply take what's good enough and take it to the extreme?

And does anybody knows who does this kind of work?

I do a little tweaking of my self, like my amps, I lined the inside with damping sheets, coat the capacitors, resistors, IC chips, heat sink with special coatings to minimize solid state glare with this outrageously expensive products called Music Coat that also make high end capacitors for the audio industry. I extensively coat pots, switches and plugs with products from Caig Labs and sometimes I upgrade to more expensive capacitors and resistors.

Is anybody else as nuts or got too much time on their hands as I do. Oh yeah, but I never forget to play my bass until my room mate can't stand it anymore. Hehehehe.

2. Nope. I don't believe in any of that magical audio stuff.

Chris

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All those mods won't improve anything.

If you want highend, start from scratch and build your rig accordingly.

I'd go for a real Class A design rig, most of the amps around are Class A/B:

Glockenklang Bugatti preamp

Glockenklang Bugatti 400 poweramp

Glockenklang Take Five 4x10

Glockenklang BassArt Mk.II 1x15,1x6

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Every one of those modifications that you mentioned would void the factory warranty. That is bad.

Chas

5. Sounds like knob polishing to me. The only real beneficiary is the knob.

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I found a slight design deficiency in my Fender BXR300 amp head. The power resistor used to step down voltage to the cooling fan was soldered to the circuit board, and would get so hot that the solder joint would fail. I carved some air space around the nearby foam padding to help circulate air to cool it, and I used regular wire to hard-wire the resistor's terminals to the board so that the heat wouldn't affect the solder joint. Problem solved.

The other stuff you mention sounds a lot like snake oil, as the other posters imply. The audio "industry" seems to be rife with such. A lot of companies prey on people's lack of understanding of technology and physics. Buyer beware.
    - Mike

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use Caig DeOxit or Re5 sparingly to clean some pots and switches when necessary. The other stuff you mention sounds like snake oil to me. What is "solid state glare?"

Expensive resistors and capacitors cost more but generally don't do anything unless the original part was actually defective or inappropriate for the circuit.

-Bob

8. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Why don't we all go get our knobs polished?