1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anybody mute with their left hand?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've read some threads and it seems like a lot of people use their right hand for muting. I have not been able to do this, and I use my left hand. Does anybody else use their left hand?

Skel

2. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    i dont usually mute, but when i do, i use my left hand.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Left for me, unless it's during a longer passage, which is when I'll switch to palm muting and plucking with my thumb.

4. ahaTFJ

ahaTFJ Guest

Apr 2, 2006
    Chicago
    It depends on what I'm playing.

I usually mute with my right hand though.

5. I play with a pick on a Rick with a bridge that requires me to move my hand forward a little from playing directly over the bridge pup(my preference)....

since playing this way my left-hand muting has gotten a lot better - both my hand share the muting, depending on what I'm doing fret-wise....

6. I mute with both hands. The higher pitched strings are muted with my left hand, and the lower pitched with my right, so when I fret the D string, I mute the G with my left fingers, and the E and A with my right thumb.

7. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i also mute with both hands. not really any particular formula for which hand does does what, but i also use the thumb on my picking hand quite a bit too.

8. If you mean muting as in stopping strings from ringing after notes or strings that arent being played, both play a part. My thumb will mute any strings under it, whilst my index on my left hand generally stays straight, muting higher strings than the one I'm playing.

If you mean muting to create muted notes, like palm muting, I find this near impossible while playing finger style, so I use my left hand. Its hard to play anything with a lot of notes like this though.

Emlyn

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    No - I mean muting as in stopping strings from ringing. I really haven't found a reason to intentionally mute yet.

10. Then I wouldnt worry about it. The left hand is easier. I play with quite flat fingers, so it keeps everything I'm not playing muted off nicely. If you're playing on higher strings, move your picking hand thumb down to the string above it, and lean it back a bit so that it mutes off the other strings. That will leave your left hand free to worry about the strings you're playing.

11. My basses (Status and Parker) are so response that I have had to alter my technique to include muting at all times with BOTH hands, unless of course I am going for a wide-open, sustaining sound.........I was playing a MIM Jazz 5 last night and it was retardedly forgiving. I don't even think fret noise was possible. Ah, the forgiving nature of wood!!!! ;)

Learn to mute with both hands and then apply the technique to a given composition, as appropriate to the song. :)

12. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    +1 i do the same

13. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Fingerstyle I mute on the neck and with a pick I like to use the little finger of my picking hand.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really think about how they do it. I know I'm muting, but I'm not really focusing on how I'm doing - just that it needs to be done somehow, and I naturally do it with my left hand, although as I progress I'll probably find that I can play even better if I can do it with both hands.

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i mute with both hands.

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I use both right and left hand muting.

Cant imagine how terrible i sounded like 1year ago... :)

17. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Mute with both.

Dont think about it and it just seems to happen:D

BB:hyper:

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Both hands.

19. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    My technique is so poor that for a while I had to teach myself how to NOT mute. :D

I use either hand depending on the situation. Sometimes I find I can accidentally hit a harmonic, so I try to use both whenever I can.

As for palm muting in fingerstyle, I just use my pinky for the muting.

20. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    I mute with both hands

If you focus on when a note should end, you'll find a way to get it done with the best choice available. When I'm playing something that require spaces between notes, I find that both hands are all over the strings.

Right hand is mainly thumb, ring, and index finger. Left had is busy fretting, so whatever finger(s) I'm not using at the time.