Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody play a 'Burger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluke, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

Anybody here play a Steinberger? They truly are the "fast food" of basses. All the same, quick to get and never leaves you hungry. Just kidding. But i've started to think they're cool. Know if there has ever been a Steinberger six string?

[​IMG]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have several - a "real" pre-Gibson XM2A, a couple of Korean Spirits. Obviously, I like the Steinberger System!

I'm not aware of any six string basses ever being built, but I'm no expert. Go check out the Steinberger World YahooGroup - they'll know for sure.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The only Steinberger 6s were guitars.

I own an early L2 4 string (used to have two in fact, sold my fretless one last year).

I like it a lot but don't use it much because the blues guys I work with think it looks weird :rolleyes:

It's really very much like a Jazz Bass...the neck is similar to those fat 70s J necks and the pickup and control setup is J inspired. Even sounds like a Jazz, only better :D

4. I used to have an early L-2. It was my only bass for about 4 years, and I definately miss having one around sometimes.

The only Steinberger 6-string bass I've ever heard about was a prototype Q-series that's over on SteinbergerWorld (http://www.steinbergerworld.com/Xbridges.htm#6Narrow). Looked like a 5-string with 6 strings on it, so the spacing was pretty narrow.

Mike

5. Nice playing, nice sounding basses.

:D

6. I play an Black XL-2 (rare one with transtrem) It plays great, never comes out of tune, easy to transport, and really easy to change strings. I like the ones that have a body better(XQ2A I believe), I played one with some Bartolini pickups and it had a great sound. I would love to try some of the Status basses, especially the headless ones. I just prefer the double ball tuning, makes it so much easier.

7. Also anyone try the Double-Ball Status strings? I hear they are better than the LaBella ones. I might order some, so I am just curious to what they are like.

8. I haven't played the Status ones, but the Ken Smith and GHS Super Steel double balls were my favorites back when I had my 'Berger. I never liked the La Bellas at all!

Mike

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use the GHS double ball sets on my L2.

Noone around here carries the LaBella sets.

10. I have the Spirit doubleneck. I picked it up on eBay a couple of months ago, and I like it a lot. In one of my bands -- the 3-piece -- I have to cover both bass and guitar in the same tune. It's heavy as anything, though! Rock maple, all the way through. You need an orthopedic strap for it. I use a neoprene job and it helps, but I'm a big guy and I can't play more than ten songs a night with it.

It also elicits the strongest reactions of anything I've ever played, both from the sounds and the looks of it. People either love it or hate it - no middle ground. The lead player in one group I'm in said, when I brought it to a rehearsal, "Never, EVER bring that thing here again!" Others have remarked about how it nails the '80's vibe, totally.

Some have remarked that the guitar neck's pickups sound bad, but when I put it through my Fenders, both the tube and solid-state amps, I can get tones that work well. It sounds good through a Tube Screamer. The bass neck needs to run through my Avatar B210/B115 stack for the best sound. It sounds thin without the 15.

11. Unforlunately I sold my early L2 and XL2 basses a little while back and bought a Status headless. At the time the folks at Status told me that the Status strings are actually the GHS 5600 double ball ends. They're readily available and a lot cheaper here than the Status sets, and they sound great.

12. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I played an XL-2 for 6 years. I loved it. Very bold and agressive tone. For live work it was super. In recording however, it sometimes sounded sterile and clunky. Though that bass is long gone, I still think that they are the most brilliantly designed basses ever. In the headless dept. I now have a Status S2 classic. That one is quite wonderful for everything.:)

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own a Steiny copy. A Cort B2a 4 string. That's as close as I get to the real thing! :( Hey Trip, we almost have the same last name! Mine is spelled Walmsley.

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Having grown up in the 80's, I have a real soft-spot for the Steinie. I am actively looking for a pre-Gibson XL-2. There is just something so cool about them. I also love the idea of a compact/graphite bass.

15. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Wow. Names are close! You may want to check out Ed Roman Guitars for all things Steinberger. Hope that helps.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Some of the Status strings may be made by GHS, but Status's range is much wider than what GHS offers. I use nothing but Status on my Steinies - I'm a user of flats.

17. It's very likely that Status' string line includes much more than when I called England to find out the make of strings on my new Empathy II headless (7-8 years ago). We only see the GHS brand locally. Perhaps I'll scout for some Status flatwounds. Thanks for the update, HD.

18. I believe Status makes their own line of strings now. Maybe they used to be GHS ones, but from what it says about their 'hotwire' strings on their website.

"These precision hand-wound bass strings are NOT simply another
    company's strings with yet another different label on the outside!
    We have spent a lot of time developing this range of strings and
    wanted to produce a complete range of strings to cater for any style"

19. Times have changed... and I will start scouting for Status strings. Sorry to almost hijack this thread.

On the topic at hand, I have to agree with Trip that my Steinberg had an aggressive tone and further, was one of easiest basses to slap.

20. yeah I think I am going to try those Status strings. I read some good things about them on a steinberger group. I hear they are a lot better than the standard Labella.