1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anybody play ESP/LTD's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Outlaw_son, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    I love the looks and I think they would be a good choice for heavy rock music, but I dont hear much about them around heae. Does anybody here use ESP basses? Anybody own a B-500 or B-2005?

2. Yes, i have an ESP LTD B-405.

It's really worth buying if you want to play heavy music.
    I bought it a year ago, and I still get happy just by looking at it :D

Though I did have some problems with the mics, they were a bit too powerful, but the local guitar-shop helped me out.

Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

3. Their 404FM model is a BEAUTIFULLY made bass. It plays great, feels great, balances perfectly. Even the wild looking inlays are done PURRFECTLY!! If I had room for another bass, I would seriously consider one.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I had an LTB B-204 briefly several years ago. It was a pretty nice bass for the price. I always associate ESP with metal, which I don't play, but I thought it was a nice playing, versatile sounding bass.

I generally don't tell people they should definitely buy this or that, but I'd say they're worth checking out if that's your price range. Whether or not you buy one is up to you.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have played a couple of ESP (not LTD) basses and they were amazing.

Until I saw the prices. The MIA ESPs are VERY expensive IMO.

6. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had an LTD, loved it, has a very aggressive tone, which is the reason I got rid of it (I started playing a little more mellow rock.) The only bad part of the otherwise stunning bass was the string spacing, which was a little tight

7. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    MIA??? I think you mean MIJ...

I have an B-2005! What you wanna know?

8. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    I wanna know if its worth the price and what kind of sound it lays down. How do the stock pups sound on it? I looked for a b-500 but didnt have much luck findin one, so Im tryin to decide whether to go with thr B-254 or hold out for the 500. Iv played the 254 but ive never played or heard the 500/2005

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I owned a B 206 string a few years back,and the bridge started to bend right behind the mounting screws.Poorly designed bridge made from shoddy materials. They would not replace it because it was past the 1 year warranty. You could do lots better with an Ibanez,or other brand.

10. sarcasticon

sarcasticon

Aug 14, 2007
    Belgium
    I play a Viper 404, nicely powerful and suitable for some downtuning (still have to try it with even thicker strings though). I can imagine other genres than metal could use it too, as long as you need a strong and rather deep sound, rather than a typically versatile jazz bass sound.

Part of the reason why you don't hear that much about them is that in large parts of the world they're much harder to get than for example Ibanez. Sure you can order them, but in a lot of countries you don't have any opportunity to find one in stock so you can test it.

11. stillborn86

stillborn86 Guest

Mar 19, 2007
    I've got the ESP LTD B-104 and B-55. Both are awesome guitars which I wouldn't trade for the world.

12. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    well, the B-500 and B-2005 are discontinued but I just wrote a review of it on PM to another guy. I'll copy paste it here...

This bass is capable of a variety of sounds. It has a precisionstyle pickup in the neck position and a humbuckerstyle pickup in the bridge position. Both pickups have a middy, slightly compressed sound. While the neckpup has a lowmiddy full sound, the bucker has a more nasally uppermid/mid sound. But this difference is also due to the pickup placements. To complement the pickups there is a powerfull 3 band EQ available.
    The finish of the bass is superb and it's actually a really great instrument for the price. 35" neckthrough construction, ebony fingerboard...
    The reason you don't see it on the internet is because it's a limited 30 year anniversary edition. In 2006 it was rereleased as the B-500 without the 30 inlay at the 12th fret, but that bass is discontinued also...
    Good luck finding one...

13. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I have a B-404SM and plan on buying an F-404FM as soon as my credit card is paid off.

These basses annihilate, clobber and decimate. I fully recommend them, not only for metal but for rock in general.

14. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I used to play an LTD F-205 in one of my metal bands. If nothing else, it looks "very metal." :)

The sound was a little different with the Mahogany body. I've thought about replacing the stock EMG 40-HZ pups with DCs, although I didn't think the sound was terrible - just different than what I was used to (Alder/Maple), and required some different EQ-ing.

15. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I have a Viper 304, and I like it a lot.

16. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I was thinking of doing a post like this myself lol. B-50 FTW!! :p Good beginner bas IMHO Cheap and came in my color :D And I love the fantastical "metal" style of it, even if I don't play metal at all.

17. I had an ESP B205 and It was nice for the price. But, it seems ESP and Schecter all have tight string spacing.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They used to be made in New York City...then their custom shop moved to California. So MIA...yes...very much so. It's only been recently that all of their stuff is made in Japan. The ESP's used to be made only in the states, and the LTD's were made in Japan (or whatever Asian country)

I used to love ESP (not LTD...I hate them)...but I would only ever buy MIA...

19. Correction.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP_Guitars

and

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/

20. I got an LTD C-304 and it rocks. Plays great, balances better than most, sounds huge and versatile with EMGs. And made in Korea;)