Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anybody play ibanez basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tony longbass, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    i just bought a ibanez btb400 a week ago and decided i need new strings and some new pickups. i play funk jazz and some metal. and iuse finger style and some slap. does any body have any ideas? :bassist:

2. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    While I play several Ibanez basses, I'm afraid I'm not much use in answering your query. I like mine with the parts they have. The one time I did try a BTB model, I liked the pups it had. Do you have a problem with the pups malfunctioning or is this a desire to get a tone the current pups won't give you? If the later, what kind of sound are you after?

3. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    im fairly new to bass guitar. i dont have much experience with pickups or the different tones they produce. i think the pick ups on the btb sound good but ive read many reviews saying to change them out. ive heard about semore duncan and bartollini pups but i dont know how they will differ in tone. i want somethin on the funk blusey level like santanas bassist and or flea's modulus but still sound good playin metal like alice in chains,stp and the sort. any ideas? :bassist:

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It would narrow the tone preference to Seymour DUncan Actives ...

or EMG.

Because of the pickup size, it might be possible that Seymour Duncan makes a direct replacement.

For strings... try a set of Labella Hard Rocking Steel..

5. Ibanez and EMG are a definite match. I second that suggestion.

As for strinngs, I'd definitely hit a bright steel of some kind. I play D'Addario (Nickel for me, though), so I'd recommend the ProSteels, or maybe even Dean Markley Blue Steels (but that's from a friend of a friend). :D

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I'm more of a bartolini person. The higher end Ibanez's use these, and they sound great. The bass I just purchased (Ibanez) uses bartolini custom pups and they sound awesome.

Greg

7. Again, I have to agree! I've got Barto's in my custom (non-Ibanez), and they are incredible! However, it's a passive setup, so I can't comment on Barto's active/on-board pre-amp setup.

It's all preference, I guess. EMG would probably be the "cheaper" way to go, but again it depends on what YOU like. :)

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    My bass has active pups with a vari mid 3 pre, and they work great together. Barts are a tad bit more expensive, but they'll be worth it in the long run IMO.

Greg

9. Nice! I personally NEVER pinch pennies when it comes to gear, and though I'm in debt for life, my tone is killer! So again, I must agree, if you're willing to put a little extra cash into your setup, Barto's all the way.

10. ...i do :D
    [​IMG]

11. Nah no one plays them. In fact, you might want to send me your ibanez basses so I can dispose of them properly. I won't even charge you!

:D

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I love my BTB. The sweepable mid control is your friend, so until you explore it, I wouldn't try to change the pickups yet. My BTB is one from '99, so it is alot different from yours, but I think the pickups are about the same.

I would use some bright steel strings to get some extra treble out of those pickups. Mine are very mellow, kind of a Bartolini sound. So a change to Barts isn't going to be a drastic difference, in my opinion.

Remember to try different pickup mixes with changing the midrange. That's how I do it.

Also, congrats on the new bass.

13. im an ibanez man. i play the EDA900 and im trying to pull some beads and buy an SR900... its the nicest bass i have ever played, and half the price of high end basses. I would recomend Bartolini MK1 pups and elixirs or pro steels.

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Damn you ChiliPepper!!! :scowl:

I was almost G.A.S. free....just that close, and you have to post that pic. I've been thinking about a 6'er, and my previous experience with my first bass (Soundgear SR 4), made me not want to go Ibanez again....but this!!! :hyper:

15. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I know this is really going to go against the grain, but here is my opinion after 25 years of trying hundreds of basses, replacement parts, and gadgets: Don't bother. Until you learn what your hands can do and how to maximize that, all the gear swapping in the world won't make one iota of difference. While you are learning the bass, TRY everything (friend's basses, visit every store, read all the crap on the internet), but buy NOTHING. Once you have mastered the playing then, and ONLY then, can the gear upgrades be of use to you.

But then, as I said, this isn't the popular opinion. Good luck.

16. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I own and play a Gary Willis signature GWB1. I love it, excellent bass!

17. Ive got a BTB 406QM ( 6 string version of yours ), and an EDA 905 , both of which are very nice ( ive also got a TR50 which was nice as a beginner bass )

Change the strings first on the BTB also, make sure there are reasonably fresh batterys in it

and toy with the tone controls, i thought about changing them, but changed my mind, i think the stock ones are pretty good!

18. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    first off id like to thank those who responded. the info you mofo's posted is awsome. sounds like ill probably get some bartollinis in the future. i will point out that the btbs pickups are actually very versatile so i might give em a chance. does anybody know the make or model of bart pups that ill need to buy?

19. totally agreed. and in any case, it's silly to buy a new bass if you don't like the pickups.

20. tony longbass

tony longbass

Sep 8, 2005
    omaha
    you guys are really smart. :D i think ill take your advice and stick with what i got. the guitarist makes the music not the guitar :bassist: one day i might graduate to bartollini and then the world should watch out.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha