Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody play with just a single 4x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just so I can know, does anybody play with a single 4X10 cab? I am using my SVT-410-HLF cab with my B2R head and running direct into the board. It sounds very good. The only reasons I am changing to a 1X15/2X10 is because it would be easier to carry around ( even the SVT-410 is a monster), and I am just like all of you guys....I am *never* satisfied with anything. There should be some kind of 12 step program for this.

Skel

2. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    yea i used to just use my trace elliot 4x10 for a while and that was fine i got another trace 4x10 the other week and the two 4x10s together makes its even better.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I used to just use my Aguilar GS410. Every once in a while I'd hook up my Eden 115 to it. I only did that as a joke. That 410 was absolutely amazing. Then I sold everything with the intent of getting a different setup. I don't even know why I did that. I'm saving up for an Aggie 410 again. Man, I hate my stupid impulse decisions.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea - I don't know much, but I do know a couple things - first, the SVT 8X10 cab was *the* cab back in the 70's (I think). But the part that really confuses me, is that, the only guy who used the classic SVT head with 8X10 cab (that I can identify with) is the bass player in REO Speedwagon. I actually did not think his tone was that great. On the other hand - Geddy Lee's tone with (at least this is what I read) some kind of Sunn head with (I think) 2 15's (JBL's) and his RIC - this tone was to die for.

I wonder if I should just try 2 Hartke 1X15XL cabs and see what happens.

Skel

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hmm. Is there any way I could wire two Hartke 1X15 8 ohm cabs in parallel? This way I could have a 4 ohm load, and use my SVT-410-HLF 4 ohm cab along with these. This might sound killer.

Skel

6. i only have a 410 at the mo, so yes

altho someone i know has a lovely ampeg "skunkworks" SVT and an ampeg 810, and the sound out of it is just, woof :)

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And just to set the record straight...I would haul around my *house* to get good tone. I am crazy when it comes to this kind of stuff - I will literally haul around whatever it takes to get great tone.

Skel

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey - what is a "skunkworks"? Also - I keep seeing this "GAS" word or ackronym popping up. Ok - I'm a rookie - what does "GAS" mean?

Skel

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The other thing that always amazes me, is when I hear about these guys like John Paul Jones - in the studio his tone was to die for. But live - I think he might have used Marshalls back in the early days. I cannot think of a worse sounding amp to use for bass....a Marshall? God!

Skel

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Another thing I have wondered about....does a single cab sound better than 2 cabs? Meaning - would a single cab with 2X15's sound better than 2 1X15 cabs? Or would a single 8X10 cab sound better than 2 4X10 cabs? (Of course I am talking about matched cabs when separte). If so, why?

Skel

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    OpaqueBass - what do you mean when you used your 1X15 as a joke? Does this mean your sound was just so outrageous and the 1X15 was just so unnecessary?

Skel

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ahhhhh so many posts!

Just plug the two 8ohm cabs in to any head that will handle 4ohms, its series thats difficult.

GAS stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Lemmy uses Marshall.

The cabs isssue has been debated to no end here. The search is your friend.

Answered some questions Skel? And welcome to TB!

13. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    as said before, all depends on what 410. the 410 hlf is a nasty little monster. should do just fine except for very large venues.

of course I use a really monster 410.........

14. I use a 410 for small, medium, and large-sized gigs, as well as outdoor gigs. I leave my 18" cab at home. It's too much. I should mention that I always have quality PA support (at least the equipment, not necessarily the person running the equipment) at gigs.

The 410 does the job very well. I actually like its sound more and more each gig. That said, I would like to replace everything and get a more modular, lighter setup. (probably 210's, 112's) I am so tired of lugging my 410 around. It's not that it's THAT heavy, but it's awkward to carry it up a narrow apartment building hallway, at 3 or 4am.

I have found that a lot of touring pros and bar/club players use 410's or even less. I imagine some players would use a full stack for visual effect, though. Depends on the style of music, I guess.

My 2 cents,
    Joe

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Jack - thanks for all the answers - at least I know what GAS stands for...I thought you guys all ate a lot of Mexican food or something:)

Ok - I don't know who Lemmy is - but I feel sorry for him.

About running the 2 1X15's - Ok -since these are 8-ohm cabs - you are saying I could run the 4-ohm SVT cab, and in parallel, run the 2 1X15 cabs in series - so my total impedance would be that crazy formula that would be something more than 4 ohms - so at least I wouldn't fry the head.

Sorry about all the questions! I sometimes wonder if I'm better off not knowing anything. Life is so much easier not knowing anything, and I still seem to get good tone!

Skel

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    BTW - I think the cab that would really make me happy is the Bergantino 2X15 cab. That thing looks delicious.

Skel

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - maybe I'm wrong. I did the math, and the total impedance *I* got would be 3.2 ohms. Again - one 4-ohm cab in parallel with two 8-ohm cabs connected in series. Is this right?

Skel

18. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No. Youre head can only do 4 ohms. That means the one 410 OR the two 8ohm 115 cabs. Sorry for the confusion.

I can gaurantee youve heard Lemmy, hes the lead singer and bassist for Motorhead.

19. The skunkworks SVT was an SVT head (all tube) that was released between 1984 and 1989 (if im right) , based on the original ampeg SVT, the only difference was one pre amp tube (because 12DW7's were not being manufactured in the 80's)

Oh, and only 500 were made, each of them was numbered

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hmm. Didn't know that. Ok - one more question and I promise to leave everybody alone.

What is the approach to take when using a solid state head like my B2R when it comes to adjusting the gain vs the volume? What am I trying to do here? I know I am not going to overdrive the preamp - it's not a tube amp. So what should somebody like me be trying to do for optimal tone? I am totally lost with this part.

Thanks - Skel