Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anybody prefer metal cones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cool dude todd, Dec 16, 2002.

1. i was just wondering if anybody preferred the old style metal cones. i find it gives a deeper thicker and smoother sound, but that could just be me:p anywhos just a question.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i like the hartke 410xl's and the 4.5xl's a lot...i'm considering getting two more 4.5xl's. bullfrog also made a cab with aluminum cone drivers, but i can't comment on those as i haven't played one.

3. haha hartke amps are nothing more then in my dreams, i could never buy one because you cant buy them around here and its exactly what i want. sigh. alwell...at least theres some swr workingman stuff:(

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    they usually have pretty good deals on hartkes on ebay, usually with free shipping.

5. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I've always wanted to know how to pronounce that

is it like HARKT, with no vowels in the last part,

or HARKEY,

or HARKAY?

eh?

6. hart key

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i prefer metal cones - 4x12" hartke guitar cabs along with yamaha 1x18" pa subs.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i just checked with the guys that build the bullfrog cabs (alumabass)...they've been discontinued for over a year now...and a search here at talkbass revealed that there was a little bit of a hubbub over it. not much, though... ;) i guess i just missed it. the cabs had someimpressive specs, though--a freq. response of 30 Hz (as to whether it was -3-6dB, i'm not sure), a power handling of 800W and an efficiency of 102dB@1W1M for the cast frame models...apparently the cab didn't have a control for the tweeter, though. i imagine it was a little harsh sounding, but they offered the same cab w/o a tweeter. and oh yeah, these things were heavier than poop.

9. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    For those that can not afford New Hartke cabs you can find good prices for used gear at:
    http://www.musicgoround.com/

Check Out the MG Aluminum Speakers on this page.
    http://allmanmusic.homestead.com/Aluminumspeakers.html
    I purchased one last year as a replacement for a blown one in my Hartke 4x10.
    One could build a custom cabinet using these aluminum speakers or replace speakers in an existing cabinet.

I like the sound and response of the 10" Aluminum cones for my Mids and Highs but I run my lows into another cabinet (crossover at 100Hz) with a single 18. Sometimes I use a second 1x18 cabinet for more volume.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, some of those look pretty cool. i wonder how they would sound for a bass guitar

11. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The front of the MG Aluminum speaker (halfway down the page) looks exactly like the other speakers in my Hartke cabinet. The back is different though. It is slightly louder and cleaner but this may be because the other speakers in my cabinet are 10 years old.

Again here is the link:
    http://allmanmusic.homestead.com/Aluminumspeakers.html

12. I'll never forget the first time I played thru a Hartke (back in 1988). It was a Spector bass, GK400RB, 1x15" XL cab. I was in lust....

The 410B XL is one of my all time favorite sounds.

B