Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody read The New Yorker?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I just headed back to school last week to continue working on my writing degree, and started a class called "advanced writing." The instructor decided to focus the class around a magazine called The New Yorker. As he was working on his doctoral degree in the 70s, he wrote a dissertation on one of the magazine's editors. He believes The New Yorker is the best written magazine in the English language. This is what we are to use as a tool to base our papers on throughout the semester. He has actually purchased 22 subscriptions--one for each student in the class, and we are to pay him a few bucks for the trouble. He started us out with three issues to get started, and we are assigned to write a four page response to what we think of the magazine.

Is anyone intimate with The New Yorker that could offer a little insight? I'm not sure that three issues will give me the complete picture of what slant the magazine takes. So far, I have gathered that it's VERY well written, it's a bit left of center, it caters to the educated of the middle to upper class, and contains such things as poetry, politics, cartoons, and literary critiques. I appreciate anyone who could respond. Thanks!

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
  3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I'll be first one to admit...

I cant read:(

Atleast i am honest..

PS Churchill owns...

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    You have to be intelligent and liberal to read the New Yorker. I'm not sure the two can mutually coexist! :D It is a very good magazine, this from a conservative.