1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anybody run 2-2x10" cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, May 31, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I've been thinking of getting another 2x10" cab (Avatar or something) to go along with my other one. I already have a 4 ohm 2x10" with a horn. has anybody tried this? I usually play through an Ampeg 8x10" at shows, but that's getting too much to carry around and it's almost overkill sometimes. Do you think the 2-2x10" cabs will be able to handle some volume from my Mesa 400+?

2. My mate rob uses two Peavey 210TX boxes with a Trace Elliot AH600SMX. He uses a Tobias bass too (not fair!)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lonnybass uses two Acme B2s with a boatload of power behind them.

You would probably get more lows by adding a 15 rather than another Avatar 2x10. When I got my Avatar 2x10, I was impressed with its low end performance when sitting vertically on the floor. A mini column would be cool...

4. I would seriously consider adding a 2x12 instead of a 2x10. Gives out good bottom without being sloppy and still adds to the mids.

5. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    I used to have a pair of Warwick 2x10s that I used in conjunction with my SWR 1x15 and 1x18 cabs

The 2x10s didn't add enough to the sound so I dumped them and got a SWR 4x10 Goliath III

I figured if I was going to carry a ridiculous amount of gear to a gig it should all be adding somehing to my sound.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I use to pack a pair of the Bag End D210XD's. Plenty loud with a PLX1602. But the last gigs with those cabs I had to pack up and down a bunch of stairs and it just about killed me.

I'm thinking very strongly about a pair of the new Epifani 210UL's. Those cabs are rediculously light weight.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've used two Peavey 210TX boxes for years. They still sound great, and I keep coming back to them after all the other cabs I've bought (SWR, Ampeg, etc).

8. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I have a pair of Bag End D10BDs.

I rarely use both.

One is usually plenty.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Two Acme Low-B2 cabs, with a QSC PLX3002 giving them 900W each. Plenty loud enough and lots of bottom!

Alex

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Yes, I use a pair of Acme Low B2's with a Stewart World 2.1 driving nearly 900w into each of them.

This weekend, I had the rare occasion of performing without PA support (my band is typically routed into full range FOH systems). Stacked vertically, my setup held its own happily against a drummer and a pair of Marshall half-stacks. With a carefully boosted mid at about 515 hz, hearing myself was no problem, and I received some nice compliments from the sound crew on the blend between my stack and the guitar amps.

The flexibility of a pair of 2x10s is awesome...you can stack them in a standard 4x10 configuration, you can go vertical, you can lay them on the floor horizontally, you can put one on each side of the drummer, you can buy a pair of kickback stands and all of a sudden you've got wedge monitors, you can do just about anything!!!

Lonnybass

11. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I've run 2 Eden D210xlt cabs for the past year. Stacked vertically with a PLX-1202 bridged mono. 1200 watts at 4 ohms. It's a very flexible, loud combination. I love it.

12. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I also run a pair of Eden 210XLTs with great results. I used to stack vertically, but lately have been going horizontal and finding it adds more low end.
    If it's a bar gig, versus club gig, I can get away with a single 210 and fit the rig in my girlfriend's corolla