Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody run 2-2x10" cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, May 31, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I've been thinking of getting another 2x10" cab (Avatar or something) to go along with my other one. I already have a 4 ohm 2x10" with a horn. has anybody tried this? I usually play through an Ampeg 8x10" at shows, but that's getting too much to carry around and it's almost overkill sometimes. Do you think the 2-2x10" cabs will be able to handle some volume from my Mesa 400+?

2. My mate rob uses two Peavey 210TX boxes with a Trace Elliot AH600SMX. He uses a Tobias bass too (not fair!)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lonnybass uses two Acme B2s with a boatload of power behind them.

You would probably get more lows by adding a 15 rather than another Avatar 2x10. When I got my Avatar 2x10, I was impressed with its low end performance when sitting vertically on the floor. A mini column would be cool...

4. I would seriously consider adding a 2x12 instead of a 2x10. Gives out good bottom without being sloppy and still adds to the mids.

5. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    I used to have a pair of Warwick 2x10s that I used in conjunction with my SWR 1x15 and 1x18 cabs

The 2x10s didn't add enough to the sound so I dumped them and got a SWR 4x10 Goliath III

I figured if I was going to carry a ridiculous amount of gear to a gig it should all be adding somehing to my sound.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I use to pack a pair of the Bag End D210XD's. Plenty loud with a PLX1602. But the last gigs with those cabs I had to pack up and down a bunch of stairs and it just about killed me.

I'm thinking very strongly about a pair of the new Epifani 210UL's. Those cabs are rediculously light weight.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've used two Peavey 210TX boxes for years. They still sound great, and I keep coming back to them after all the other cabs I've bought (SWR, Ampeg, etc).

8. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I have a pair of Bag End D10BDs.

I rarely use both.

One is usually plenty.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Two Acme Low-B2 cabs, with a QSC PLX3002 giving them 900W each. Plenty loud enough and lots of bottom!

Alex

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Yes, I use a pair of Acme Low B2's with a Stewart World 2.1 driving nearly 900w into each of them.

This weekend, I had the rare occasion of performing without PA support (my band is typically routed into full range FOH systems). Stacked vertically, my setup held its own happily against a drummer and a pair of Marshall half-stacks. With a carefully boosted mid at about 515 hz, hearing myself was no problem, and I received some nice compliments from the sound crew on the blend between my stack and the guitar amps.

The flexibility of a pair of 2x10s is awesome...you can stack them in a standard 4x10 configuration, you can go vertical, you can lay them on the floor horizontally, you can put one on each side of the drummer, you can buy a pair of kickback stands and all of a sudden you've got wedge monitors, you can do just about anything!!!

Lonnybass

11. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I've run 2 Eden D210xlt cabs for the past year. Stacked vertically with a PLX-1202 bridged mono. 1200 watts at 4 ohms. It's a very flexible, loud combination. I love it.

12. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I also run a pair of Eden 210XLTs with great results. I used to stack vertically, but lately have been going horizontal and finding it adds more low end.
    If it's a bar gig, versus club gig, I can get away with a single 210 and fit the rig in my girlfriend's corolla