Does anybody still make Novatone fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnold, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Us 'over 30's' remember the Novatone interchangable fingerboard system. I recently found a neck in storage that I hadn't seen in 15 years. It's in great condition with all four fingerboards. My question, before I put it on a bass is, does anybody make the fingerboards anymore? The idea of not being able to get a refret if needed kind of scares me, although I remember this thing playing well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ASG
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. Went out of business quite some time back.
  3. cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Mark Ranklin now makes interchangable fretboards. I THINK they're compatible with the old Novatones. Give him an email.
  4. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    In the early 80's I saw so many great vintage basses ruined by the Novatone system. The problem is that when you plane the top of the neck flat to apply the steel plate, you remove all of the wood that the truss rod compresses against. The result was the truss rods would push up through the top of the neck and the neck was then history.

A idea who's time should never have come!

5. I still own an Ibanez Roadstar Bass with the magnetic Novatone system. Have 4 interchangable necks. 1 fretted, 1 fretless, 1 glow in the dark fretless (lined) and on stainless steel fretless. I've had this for years. That damn Novatone company ripped me off though for a couple of hundred when they went out of business. I had some custom necks on order.