Does anybody tape their ring/middles fingers together???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Jun 27, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I was just wondering if anybody tapes thier ring finger to their middle finger ( picking hand) when you practice, to give their ring finger more strength. Do you tape your fingers near the nails, or near your knuckles???
  2. I think you're talking about the lesson on aren't you? I never got that either, I mean, wouldn't that just teach you to pluck with your middle AND ring fingers togather? Oh well sorry I couldn't help.
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    That sounds really ridiculous to me.
  4. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Never heard of it. Sounds like it would decrease your range of motion more than help it though.........bah, doesn't matter, Im not fond of picks anyway.
  5. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    I've found that tape on my fingers screws up my jumpshot.

Seriously, that is pretty wierd. Never heard of it.
  6. Nonono, if he's talking about the lesson on Harmony, it is supposed to work like this: You tape your fingers together, so that they get used to moving in a plucking motion, then you untape them, and you are supposed to be able to play with 3 or 4 fingers. I just learned to use 3 fingers the old fashioned way, just does it.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I tape my big toe to my little toe (on both feet) when training in martial arts.
  8. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I just did that but can't seem to stop falling over. :D

9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Stick to the same foot! It helps tremendously. It took me 3 tournaments before I figured that part out. :D
  10. Every morning I have to tape my johnson to my leg so I can walk around in public without a big stick.
  11. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL :D

I beleive I am talking about the lesson on Harmony Central. It's a big detailed lesson, and there's more than just taping your fingers together.

there is a litle exercise your supposed to do for a couple weeks before you actually tape( which I skipped :D ) after you tape your ring/middle fingers for a couple weeks, your now then supposed to tape your middle/index fingers.

It's so long and confusing, i just said F*** it and I just started playing the "My friend of Misery" riff with three fingers.(now I can throw out my picks :)

I must say using 3 fingers does look kinda cool!!
  12. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    This is just my humble opinion.
    I would throw that whole lesson out the window.
    The taping things just makes no sense and the guy gives no real good explanation.
    You can get some pretty insane speed with 2 fingers. Billy sheehan plays with 3 and he must be the fastest finger style player out there. Not that you need that much speed.
    I still want to see and hear someone demonstrate this 4 or 5 fingered plucking. I dont really see how you could produce an even tone with that many fingers.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. The only time I ever taped my ring finger and middle finger together, was when I broke my middle finger....But then agian I was playing middle linebacker, not a bass....:p
  15. But my question is, do you use the "Monster Tape" or can you get by with applying the Green Magic Marker to the edges of Duct Tape and use that?, er - hang on... I think I'm in the wrong thread...

- Wil
  16. So, you tape middle and ring together, play like that for a while and then by some magic you're able to play with 3 fingers?

Ridiculous indeed.

First, you have to know that <b>strength has nothing to do with bass playing</b>. A two year old can pluck a string. Check for an exercise for three finger playing.