Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Anybody use a 2-10 Wedge Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tapp, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I play at church weekly with an Eden 2-10XLT that provides plenty of volume and the low end is respectable (although the B string is a little light). My problem is where I am standing in relation to where the cab is situated. It's sitting in front of me angled up just slightly (because my amp is on top). Soundman says I'm too loud in the house yet it's just right where I'm standing. I'm thinking the sound is going past my knees and not to my ears.

I see where Ampeg has a new angled 2-10 and Eden has had one for awhile. I hear mostly bad things about these cabs due to the fact that the shape of the cab affects the tone. Anybody use em with success??

Tapp

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I can't answer about the wedge cabinets, but could you try putting your cabinet on something, or angling it up to your ears? A lot less costly solution, and you keep your current tone. :)

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've used a carvin 210 wedge for quite some time with good results although I haven't been using it much lately because the band I am in is loud enough for me to crank my 2 15's loud enough for me to hear them. Not sure what bad things would happen from the wedge shape though. Mine sounds fine. A little light in the low end but that's the way the cab was designed it's not supposed to carry the room with low end it's supposed to allow you to hear yourself.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Bear in mind that what you're hearing onstage, (ie. 'sounds just right') is radically different than what is making it to the audience, (or sanctuary in your case)... IME, if I am hearing myself fine on stage using only stage amplification, it can be way too boomy out front. I get around this by cutting the lows and boosting slightly at about 600 to 800 Hz. In my case, this usually allows me to cut through, still hear myself, and not overpower out front...

Like any other bass player, I dread the 'Bass is too loud' complaint, take it personally, insist it sounds fine to me, and all that other stuff... However, I have found that not everybody likes bass as much as I do :D !!

I have used a Carvin RC210 in the past, and I found a pretty radical difference in the bass projection when it was tilted, (less bass out front, more in my ears), which sounds like what you're looking for... Like Eric says, try raising it, try cutting bass and boosting mids, above all, learn to trust the sound guy :)

Good luck!

-robert

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm using two old Boogie Diesel 2x10 wedges in my setup, stacked to look like a 4x10. They sound really good considering there isn't much cabinet size. I sometimes face them up at me, and I can actually turn down and still hear myself. I highly recommend it.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I actually built a wedge style replica cab for my Eden 2x10, then transplanted the speakers etc into it. I also built a wedge cab with a 15 in it, and later a wedge with 2 lightweight neodymium P.Audio 10's . At the time there weren't any bass wedges on the market, an my band was so darn loud I used to have both of these in front of me, as well as a normal 15 and 4x10 behind me....... thank Gawd that band's over an done with.

My wedges are designed so they can stand in the traditional position as well. So I've always got the choice as to which way I face them. For example, I know that I'll be using them as wedges at tonight's NYE gig. The room I'm playing at resonates at 100-250Hz and the poor sound guy struggles to get the bass sounding clean when the bass rig is firing out into the crowd - so I spin em around and everyone is happy. Last night the same speakers were behing me facing straight into the crowd.

I've also devised a setup that actually sounds good on those awful proscenium stages. You know the ones - stage with 3 enclosed walls, designed for plays etc where the actors aren't even miked up so the sound booms and projects. I put 4x10 behind me, 2x10 wedge in front of me. It stops the speakers from coupling in the low frequencies so it helps solve the boominess.

Can you tell I like my wedges :)

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I echo Eric's suggestion...the amp head doesn't have to sit on top of the cabinet. Use something to angle the cab and devise a method of placing the head where you can adjust the controls as necessary. What kind of head are we talking here, by the way?

Or...grab a 4x10 cabinet (or a second 2x10)...that'll put out sound a little closer to ear level!!! :D