1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyon know who can make a thumb rest or ramp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockBoxBass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

I want to get a ramp or thumb rest made. Ive found a guy on Ebay, but I wanted one a lil smaller and lower. He said he didnt have time for custom orders. the standard Fender one is too big. I played Musicmans for too many years and Im used to that playing position. And I want to be more comfortable on a jazz. any ideas??? thanks!!!

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Why not just make your own out of a small piece of wood? Years ago before they were being reproduced, I made my own. Just a little time to shape to suit your need. If you go that route, seal the paint cause I didn't think about that aspect and the black paint started rubbing off on my fingers. LOL

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I can make you one. What type of wood?
    How about $75 plus shipping.

4. I'd like a jazz ramp too. Are you saying Fender makes a "standard" ramp?

And who was the ebay guy, I'd like to see what he has.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
  6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I have a Fender Roscoe Beck IV that came with a ramp. A very simple piece of plexiglas that fits between the pickups and rests on the screw pads on the pickups. There are countersunk holes that the pickup screws go through to fasten it. It is pretty unnoticeable and works like a charm.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I have not purchased one in a while, but I gotten several from a Fender dealer, so check with one of them. I've also purchased from allparts.com, although I don't see one on their site now. Maybe you could check with them when they open. I did see one on a parts supplier wdmusic.com/bass that is like the original, black plastic with screws for $3 plus shipping. You could probably carve down the plastic to suit your needs since you said earlier that the standard Fender one was too big. I'm pretty sure other folks have them, I just can't recall who at the moment, but the above will get you going.

9. I make all of my thumbrests from old ebony piano keys.

10. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

I should have been more clear on the thumbrest/ramp thing. The only thumbrests Ive seen(besides the $3 plastic ones) is the guy on Ebay (link above) Ive NEVER seen any Ramps. The ramps are gonna be very instrument specific, so cant see how a stock one could be produced. I dont do any kind of wood working at all. Ive managed to keep all my fingers by not buying any kind of saws or sanders, so building or modifying one isnt an option. So right now...Im looking for a low thumbrest to simulate the MM humbucker playing postion. something subtle to blend in and not be " what the hell is that thing"!!