1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone actually like phosphor bronze ABG strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They don't feel particularly good on the fingers, I don't much like the tone, and they seem to produce more finger noise than any other string. I prefer tapewounds on acoustics. It seems most people do, or at least flats. Does anyone like phosphor bronze? If so, why?

el_Bajo_Verde, tfer and Levin like this.
  2. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    I've always prefered them on my AEB's (or ABG, as you call it). Perhaps because when I first played a guitar as a child it was an acoustic (my dad's '81 Alverez - Yari), which had Phosphor Bronze strings on it. To me, that's what acoustic strings are supposed to sound and feel like.

Anything else to me is like you're stringing a hollow body electric, not an acoustic bass. Just got a set of Phosphor - Bronze for my Dean EABC.

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Not me.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    In the early 80's I played phosphor bronze on an electric bass and loved the piano like punch and brilliance.

NigelD and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  5. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    No love for them here,I put flats on mine when I got it !

6. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
    Not a fan. The B string sounds like a piano and yeah, noisy as hell.

7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I love them. But you need a good ABG for them to sound right. A jumbo or larger body of 6" depth or more really helps lower the overall resonant frequency. I have a Cort 'Mark Egan' model that sounds like a bass, with bronze, low to high. Wonderful, deep, complex, warm, woody tone that oozes acoustic goodness. Sounds fantastic amped also -

I have a hollowbody w flats, and a P/J w Roto 66s as a workhorse, and most importantly, an URB. So for me, I want the ABG to sound like exactly that - a bass acoustic guitar. I even strum it on occasion, which sucks w flats. I also play a ton of acoustic guitar, so there are technique crossovers that are particularly nice with bronze ABG.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Can't stand the sound or feel of 'em; replaced with tapewounds so my bass wouldn't sound like an acoustic guitar with a thyroid condition.

JLW likes this.
  9. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I love 'em. I string my Fender Kingman with D'Addario phosphor bronze strings because to me, it sounds like an acoustic guitar tuned down an octave - especially when plugged in, which is 90% of the time. I like the folky piano-like tone. If I want warm & thumpy, my solid body basses can get a better version of that sound.

10. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    +1

11. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Isn't an ABG supposed to sound like an acoustic bass guitar? Technically, a solid body electric bass guitar could also be described as a guitar with a thyroid condition, could it not?

It all boils down to personal preference anyway, doesn't it?

12. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    John Entwisle

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Does anyone really like ABG?

Even when I jam with folks playing acoustic, I use a P-bass (strung with flats) with a little amp (pignose Hog30). Evryone agrees it sounds much better and improves the jam...

14. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Clearly some of us do. Considering manufacturers are starting to build more of them again, I'd say we're not alone. I've had a Takaminie Jasmine ABG, a Michael Kelly "Dragonfly" fretless 5 string ABG, and now own a Dean EABGC. Needless to say, I like them.

They're all strung with Phosphor - Bronze strings.

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, it all boils down to personal preference; I merely explained MY personal preferences. My ABG is my least favorite bass, reserved for camping trips and such; to me, it ain't even close to being a "real bass."

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Someone might. I don't.

17. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I used to string my Rickenbackers with Roto Bronze bass for recording and showcases. They do not last long, but it gives the rick a more piano like timbre and I found very appealing for recording. Definitely not your average Ric sound, but definitely never mistaken for a Fender.

18. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I love em on my Breedlove. Warm, rich, and with a very natural kind of brightness that nickel or steel rounds just don't do on an ABG. I have a question tho... Can you use phosphor-bronze strings on an electric? Can magnetic pups pick them up? I've wondered for a while, might be a fun experiment to put em on an electric and see what the tone is like.

19. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    This may very well be my answer.

20. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    No need to get all butthurt... we're all adults here, right? I understand you were expressing "your" opinion, that's what this forum is for, no?

I see why you're getting upset, you're a "bass snob". Technically only a Double Bass or Bass Viola is a "real bass" if you want to be that way. I don't see how using different strings would change whether it's a "real bass" or not.

ABG's range in price from $400 - $2,000. Well within the range of "real" basses. How does what type of strings are used make it a real bass or not? I'd really like to know.