Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone actually own a Walnut Bodied bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovecenter, May 3, 2003.

1. I see a couple of tops, but no-one with a walnut body. Post pics, your thoughts on sounds and how well it fits into your styles. Pretty much anything ya can.

2. My fretted bass, FBB #1046-01, has a walnut body with a bubinga top. It's heavy, but it sure sounds good.

3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    My Yancey 4 string is semi hollow with a walnut core. Excellent bass.

4. Awsome, to those whose are fretted, how do you feel about the slap tone? What about high end overall and ability to cut through a band?

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here's my all walnut presicion bass special circa 1982.:bassist:

6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    works great for slapping. No problems cutting through at all.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats such a sweet looking axe.

I wish I could get one of those. About how much do they go for these days?

Peace
    Nick

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a Warmoth J-bass that has a walnut body/wenge neck w/stainless frets. It is a great bass! I wish I had a camera, because it was the best finish I've done so far(dark walnut stain w/tru-oil). Tonewise it is solid, defined, and punchy. It definitely cuts!

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    These basses were a limited edition, the only year the walnut special came with walnut body and neck. I read somewhere only 100 to 200 were made. The bass is active/passive with tone knobs that work in passive mode. It has a very deep sound and can be Too trebley if you want it to be. This bass makes clip lights stay on all night. It has a tremendous overall boost. You can find one (if your lucky) between 700 and 1500 bucks

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    my FBB #51 is Walnut, there's some audio samples & pics here:
    FBB 51

I find it hard to 'discuss/describe' the tone, so I figure the clips will have to speak for themself. I am very happy with the bass though!

11. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have a Ken Smith BSR4M-G that has a walnut body. I love this bass. Great deep low end and has great growl with the mids turn up.

[​IMG]

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got a Warmoth 5-string with a solid walnut body and a Moses neck. The bass is pretty heavy but it has a real phat sound! I had a fretless Warmoth neck on it for about 9 years and it sound great as a fretless. Very warm and a little extra emphasis on the mids. Here's a pic.

13. Thanks for all the responses guys, keep em coming everybody else. Walnut seems to keep ya'll satisfied. Interesing 3 p'up array on the FBB, looks like a killer bass, and WOW on the Ken Smith, always loved the look and playability of those basses.

14. Well, my Dingwall 6 string has a walnut/alder body core. It cuts through extremely. Walnut is definitely a good wood for a body.

[​IMG]

Geoff

15. Good lord Mr. St. Germaine, I literally stared at that Dingwall for a minute striaght, noting every detail I could before I could even bring myself to post. That is such a work of art, and the fanned frets and staggered bridge pieces seem like great ideas. The scale on the B is somewhere near 38" right? How does that affect your wrist angle and ability to reach say a low C? Once again, good lord.

16. Geoff

You have done it again. Now you will have to show all of your pictures of your beautiful bass again and provoke great lusting and jealousy in all of us.;)

However I once owned a 5 string fretted Wal which had a walnut body. It was finished in a white paint job so you couldn;t see the body. It was a real player and had a great tone. E xcellent for slapping. Unfortunately no pictures of it.

Matthew

17. The B string is 37". The wrist angle in the lower register is fine. The reach can be somewhat large down there on the B, but I still manage and I don't find any discomfort between playing the low registed on this B and playing it on the Elrick I have or on the F Bass I have coming.

She is a beauty though.

Geoff

18. My renaissance has walnut back and sides. It's hard for me to say how good walnut is, because I haven't played too many basses made out of this wood. My bass has an incredible, warm, acoustic tone. I have a picture of the bass, although it has a maple top, so it's hard to see the walnut.

19. If I was you, I wouldn't be too worried. Your fretless 7 string Sei is smoking!

Geoff

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this one is all walnut, including the majority of the neck (with purple heart stringers)...

[​IMG]

the sound is very punchy and grindy, with a dark low midrange and a good bottom end.