Does anyone actually prefer the stock Fender bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 21, 2005.

1. In speaking strictly tone, I think I do. I have the Badass II on my Jazz right now, but for some reason the bass doesn't have that vintage charm/tone it had once before.

2. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I put a Gotoh 201 on my P Bass, sonically I couldn't hear a difference, changed it cause the original was rusty. Looks nice. :)
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I guess it depends on which Fender bridge. The MIM bridges are okay, but mine always felt kinda flimsy, and did not have grooves for the saddles to sit in. I didn't like that, and put on a 201.

My MM sig bass has a Badass on it, but I can't compare that to the same bass without one, as I have never swapped it out.

The bridge on my H1 P-Bass works just fine, and I have no plans on replacing it.
  4. I'm speaking in terms of a new MIA Fender Jazz. The bridge is not flimsy what-so-ever. Its a very very solid bridge, it just doesnt' have mass that the BAII does.
    I'm not sure what I like better :meh:
    W/ the Badass II on there it made the bass more punchy and more sting definiton... and maybe a little brighter too?

For some reason though I sorta miss the vintage tone that the stock bridge had... has anyone had this happen to them?
  5. The bridge on my Fender MIM P was good for a bout a year, then turned to sh!t. The saddles became loose to the point of you having to literally adjust them every five minutes of playing or you would have horrible fret buzz. I ended up putting a badass on the sucker and it worked wonders.

My Fender MIA Dlx J is amazing, however, and I have had absolutely no problems with it. I'm gonna keep it on there as long as I need to. No point in switching out what isn't broken.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Standard Fender bridges are fine with me, I have a Geddy lee w/out the badassII on it and I like it better that way. I played it with the baddassII for a while then removed it. My interest in the Geddy bass was an alder bodied maple w/blocks neck bass with vintage pups for a decent price :cool:
  7. I can't understand all the fuss about Fender bridges. They adjust for string height and for intonation. I have found no need to adjust string spacing, so the stock bridges work fine for me. People talk about improving sustain but I have to wonder how much sustain people are looking for. My Jazz Bass, my P-clone and my Reverend (which has a Fender-style bridge) sustain as long as I need them to. I hear people calling them "flimsy" but all I can say is, go ahead and bend one. The original Leo Quan Badass bridge was designed to provide more adjustability to old Gibson you could adjust individual strings; something Leo Fender addressed in the late 50's with the second generation P-Basses. I believe Fender basses were engineered as complete entities and the components were designed to deliver a certain standard of performance. Looking in the real world, on stages and in recording studios, I see a hell of a lot more Fenders with stock bridges than I do with aftermarket bridges. They work fine for my needs but YMMV.
  8. what type of tone diffrence did you hear when you took off the BAII and put on a stock Fender style?

9. lonote, YOU DA MAN! you just gave me the boost of confidence in my feelings.

I feel in love with the Fender Jazz at stores, and they had stock bridges. I always lusted after a Fender Jazz, and now that I have it, and changed the bridge, it doens't sound like the Fender I brought home from the store anymore.

*sigh* Look on ebay in about 3 days for a posting for a Badass II, pre-sloted. :) The stock one is going back on!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The sonic difference between a stock Fender bridge and a BA bridge amounts to about the same difference as between a red finish and a blue finish.

Um, IMO, that is.

Much ado about nearly nothing.
  11. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    I think they look weak... My gEddy Came with the Badass, i changed on My Bass becouse i feel the BAdass Look More solid and Secure and i trust it more...
  12. Have you ever done an A/B comparison?
    If you did, you would see that there is a HUGE sonic/tone difference between the two. A high mass bridge will almost always yield a different tone then a low mass/bent plate design.
    Which one you prefer is totally up to you.

I find that a high mass design yields a more tighter, more focused, "sharper"?, response. As apposed to the bent plate design that might not have as much of an attack, but some people (ME) associate that with a more vintage type of tone.
    Fender's = Vintage tone, but a change of the bridge, (unfortunately I just found out) will change the bass from sounding Fender.

13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I wanted to get rid off the brightness and was interested more in the natural sound of the bass. That's what I got, a passive alder bodied jazz with vintage pups. I didn't need a lot of sustain (I play funk and r&b). I noticed the bass had an edge on it before I removed the BAII, now it has been somewhat smoothed out. :)
    I have also noticed the mids aren't over shadowed by the highs when I play the thump an pop stuff anymore.
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yes I prefer the stock bridge, I don't know, everytime I tried a different bridge like the BA2 or 201 it made my P's and J's totaly different animals, The BA2 I found had a darker more round tone while the 201 was about the same with just a little more snap, Just a personal preference I guess.
  15. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    +1 on the darker sound.
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I replaced the stock bridge on my 83 J with a nice chunky "fender" script bridge. It was like a "custom shop" bridge or something. The biggest difference was the comfort. The "turn-up" on the old bridge was sharper and had alot less surface area, it welted-up the underside of my forearm/wrist a bit when I slapped. The newer one was nice and smooth and my skin thanked me for it.
    (I wear my basses pretty high and I had forearms like Popeye back then!)
  17. Does anyone know the diffrence in tone between the Gotoh 201 vs. Badass II?
  18. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I like Fenders the way Leo designed them. The original bridge works fine for me.