Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone actually prefer the stock Fender bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 21, 2005.

1. In speaking strictly tone, I think I do. I have the Badass II on my Jazz right now, but for some reason the bass doesn't have that vintage charm/tone it had once before.

Anyone?

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I put a Gotoh 201 on my P Bass, sonically I couldn't hear a difference, changed it cause the original was rusty. Looks nice. :)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I guess it depends on which Fender bridge. The MIM bridges are okay, but mine always felt kinda flimsy, and did not have grooves for the saddles to sit in. I didn't like that, and put on a 201.

My MM sig bass has a Badass on it, but I can't compare that to the same bass without one, as I have never swapped it out.

The bridge on my H1 P-Bass works just fine, and I have no plans on replacing it.

4. I'm speaking in terms of a new MIA Fender Jazz. The bridge is not flimsy what-so-ever. Its a very very solid bridge, it just doesnt' have mass that the BAII does.
    I'm not sure what I like better :meh:
    W/ the Badass II on there it made the bass more punchy and more sting definiton... and maybe a little brighter too?

For some reason though I sorta miss the vintage tone that the stock bridge had... has anyone had this happen to them?

5. The bridge on my Fender MIM P was good for a bout a year, then turned to sh!t. The saddles became loose to the point of you having to literally adjust them every five minutes of playing or you would have horrible fret buzz. I ended up putting a badass on the sucker and it worked wonders.

My Fender MIA Dlx J is amazing, however, and I have had absolutely no problems with it. I'm gonna keep it on there as long as I need to. No point in switching out what isn't broken.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Standard Fender bridges are fine with me, I have a Geddy lee w/out the badassII on it and I like it better that way. I played it with the baddassII for a while then removed it. My interest in the Geddy bass was an alder bodied maple w/blocks neck bass with vintage pups for a decent price :cool:

7. I can't understand all the fuss about Fender bridges. They adjust for string height and for intonation. I have found no need to adjust string spacing, so the stock bridges work fine for me. People talk about improving sustain but I have to wonder how much sustain people are looking for. My Jazz Bass, my P-clone and my Reverend (which has a Fender-style bridge) sustain as long as I need them to. I hear people calling them "flimsy" but all I can say is, go ahead and bend one. The original Leo Quan Badass bridge was designed to provide more adjustability to old Gibson bridges...so you could adjust individual strings; something Leo Fender addressed in the late 50's with the second generation P-Basses. I believe Fender basses were engineered as complete entities and the components were designed to deliver a certain standard of performance. Looking in the real world, on stages and in recording studios, I see a hell of a lot more Fenders with stock bridges than I do with aftermarket bridges. They work fine for my needs but YMMV.

8. what type of tone diffrence did you hear when you took off the BAII and put on a stock Fender style?

9. lonote, YOU DA MAN! you just gave me the boost of confidence in my feelings.

I feel in love with the Fender Jazz at stores, and they had stock bridges. I always lusted after a Fender Jazz, and now that I have it, and changed the bridge, it doens't sound like the Fender I brought home from the store anymore.

*sigh* Look on ebay in about 3 days for a posting for a Badass II, pre-sloted. :) The stock one is going back on!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The sonic difference between a stock Fender bridge and a BA bridge amounts to about the same difference as between a red finish and a blue finish.

Um, IMO, that is.

Much ado about nearly nothing.

11. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I think they look weak... My gEddy Came with the Badass, i changed on My Bass becouse i feel the BAdass Look More solid and Secure and i trust it more...

12. Have you ever done an A/B comparison?
    If you did, you would see that there is a HUGE sonic/tone difference between the two. A high mass bridge will almost always yield a different tone then a low mass/bent plate design.
    Which one you prefer is totally up to you.

I find that a high mass design yields a more tighter, more focused, "sharper"?, response. As apposed to the bent plate design that might not have as much of an attack, but some people (ME) associate that with a more vintage type of tone.
    Fender's = Vintage tone, but a change of the bridge, (unfortunately I just found out) will change the bass from sounding Fender.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I wanted to get rid off the brightness and was interested more in the natural sound of the bass. That's what I got, a passive alder bodied jazz with vintage pups. I didn't need a lot of sustain (I play funk and r&b). I noticed the bass had an edge on it before I removed the BAII, now it has been somewhat smoothed out. :)
    I have also noticed the mids aren't over shadowed by the highs when I play the thump an pop stuff anymore.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yes I prefer the stock bridge, I don't know, everytime I tried a different bridge like the BA2 or 201 it made my P's and J's totaly different animals, The BA2 I found had a darker more round tone while the 201 was about the same with just a little more snap, Just a personal preference I guess.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    +1 on the darker sound.

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I replaced the stock bridge on my 83 J with a nice chunky "fender" script bridge. It was like a "custom shop" bridge or something. The biggest difference was the comfort. The "turn-up" on the old bridge was sharper and had alot less surface area, it welted-up the underside of my forearm/wrist a bit when I slapped. The newer one was nice and smooth and my skin thanked me for it.
    (I wear my basses pretty high and I had forearms like Popeye back then!)

17. Does anyone know the diffrence in tone between the Gotoh 201 vs. Badass II?

18. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I like Fenders the way Leo designed them. The original bridge works fine for me.