Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone build their own label?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Hey everyone!

I was wondering what is the procedure if you want to start your own record-label.

We've been recording our 1. EP and want to sell it to people. Would their be any benefits in starting an own label or is it too much hassle?

2. A long time ago, the band I was in did a cassette and we released it under a "label" name and logo we created. When we did our 45 we got together with some buddies that had their own label, with distribution contacts. We released that and a few subsequent releases as a sort of 'joint venture' between the two labels.

So, I guess, from my experience, is that the "label" and an associated logo add 'legitimacy' to a release, but it's more important to have distribution. I suppose the "label" might help with that- especially if you can get a few likeminded bands to band together under a label banner.

3. Hey, we did the same exact thing. We went the more Goth-y underground route too...anyone remember fanbooks?

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    This bassist I know started his own label a long time ago, and it's really been picking up some steam in the past several years. His name is Matt Jenkins and the label is Future Destination. Check it out at www.fdrecords.com I'm sure if you e-mailed him with questions about this that he would be happy to respond. Hope this helps you, God Bless! -Brad