Does anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, May 19, 2001.

1. Run a pre-amp into a normal head and then out from the head to a cab (using the head as the power amp?)

My head (A.M.P. BH-420) has a preamp input, and i wante to couple it up with SWR's interstellar overdrive.
  2. or maybe the ashdown preamp
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If the head does have a "preamp send - power amp return (input)" loop, I think it should work. If you can bring your head into the store and try it first, that would be the best way to tell.

There's a chance of getting ground loop hum caused by slightly different grounding between the preamp and the head, but this might be fixable, too. Try your idea and see if the signal levels work well (i.e., are compatible - with no overload distortion or excess noise), and then listen for any extraneous hum.
    - Mike
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It'll work but as Mike said you could get a ground loop.

There are a couple of ways to do it. Effects loop or the seperate Power Amp In input. I've done it...and stuck with the AMP.

You can also use the BH-420's crossover and run lows or highs through it for a biamp setup. Just add a second amp.
  5. Yeah I do it. I currently run an SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp into my SWR sm400s's effects return input. This is essentially bypassing the 400's preamp whille using the IOD as a preamp. It sounds good to me. I think you should be fine using the head as a poweramp.