Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else cramp up due to cold hands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Dec 28, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Am I the only one, or do cold temperatures effect your playing? My hands seem to be tiring tonight and I'm beginning to blame the cold. Not that I can complain, these temperatures in California are probably nothing to east coast players and such.

2. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Im from ohio and yes my band has played twice when the temp is below 40. It wasnt very pleasant but my hands didnt cramp or anything. I did notice tho that i couldnt move my fingers and it caused me to be a bit sluggish at times during the set. Just try to keep them fingers as warm as possible.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When my hands are cold, it does affect my playing. Stretching sometimes helps limber them up, but they definitely feel more stiff. Since we practice in a drafty basement where it gets hellacold, I sometimes those thin stretch gloves you can get at Walgreen's for $1.99. They work great. I've only had to use them once or twice.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have the same problem here in Europe, I can get bloody cold here somethimes, and if my hands are cold, it affects my playing. It's like your fingers are all slow, they just won't do their job. Really anoying, are there good stretching execises to solve this problem?

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played in several basements, and cold conditions definitely affect my playing. I can't play as fast, and my playing is less precise. No cramps though. I'd recommend carrying around one of those heat packs that get really hot when you crush them in your hands. Every so often, take a quick break and warm your hands up on it. Helps a bit.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've played outdoor gigs when the weather was a little cold, and I found that my fingers slowed down. I use a pick in these situations. I find that my wrist doesn't slow down nearly as much as my fingers do.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One thing I find as I get older - the more I lay off practicing daily, the stiffer they get. Then again, I used to use 4-strings as opposed to 5'ers.

NONETHELESS - just before a gig, I always hit the wash basin in the green room/men's room and run hot water over my hands and then "whip" my fingers so they make a snapping sound.
    I learned this from a chubby, old, bluegrass guitarist who had such stubs for "fangurz" that you would have never guessed he could flatpick & fret like a devil!

My rabbit fur-lined gloves help a little, too.

I wish I had learned to play cello instead on piano early on. I find cello players have immaculate fretting technique when they pick up an electric bass.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If the Job site, or rehearsal spot is cold, I have to warm up my hands, and the neck of my bass.

I'd rather have the place (Practice or Gig) be warmer than cooler except, in Summertime.

I like warmth, but I hate humidity.

9. Yeah, it happens a lot. Heh, you should try living here! (Ireland) I find the only way to warm up my hands is to actually play, just some 1/4s, then some 1/8s and so on till you're flying! That should get ya nice and toasty!
    Straight from the pages of the book of Dan...

10. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Word. I often play outside here in Miami, and the humidity is just horrible.

Anyway, yes, the cold does affect my playing. Whenever there's a show at school I have to accompany them in the cold, cold auditorium. It slows me a lot. Here's my trick: since we're asked to wear a long sleeved black shirt I just throw some cut-up socks over my forearm. Not little socks, I mean those hiking socks that are meant to be real warm. It isn't fantastic, but it does help a bit.

Brett

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    O yes!

I hate it when I have to play a gig outdoors during the winter.