1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else dislike Journey?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WickedPissah, Sep 6, 2008.

1. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    I really, really, really dislike freaking Journey. I don't enjoy their music, and I don't see the appeal they have. Does anyone else not like Journey?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I really dislike Journey as well, but they're my wife's favorite band. I hear them quite a bit as a result. :meh:

3. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    they're my mother's favorite band. I hear them quite a bit as well. :meh:

:atoz::atoz::atoz::atoz::atoz::atoz::atoz::atoz:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no... I actually quite like some of their stuff when I'm in the mood for it.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    they are ALL stellar musicians...

Steve Smith is one of my fav drummers. Vic thinks he's pretty happening too

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Journey was a true jam band before they got all sappy with the keyboard player and the singer writing hits.

Who'd a thunk writing prom hits would make you money.

7. i despised them "back then". actually i liked them up to the point steve perry joined them, , then i could not stand hearing them.

but now, since my cover band has done some journey tunes, i have a new appreciation for their material. Neal Schon, Steve Smith, Gregg Rolie, Ansley Dunbar... all terrific musicians.

Steve Perry had an incredible voice/range, although i could never shake the feeling that he'd sound the same even if he closed his mouth and let it come out his nose.

8. Is this a trick question?

Neil Schon actually cut his teeth with Carlos Santana I think. They were kind of groovy before they added Steve Perry.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Neil Schon and Greg Rollie both played with Santana at Woodstock.

10. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Neil Schon ftw! If he's good enough for Jeff Berlin, he's good enough for me.

Also, I always point to "Don't Stop Believing" as a great example of the J-Bass sound. I don't know if he used a J or not, but it sounds like it.

11. I thought there was someone else involved with Santana but I couldn't remember his name.

You wouldn't know it from some of the stuff Journey has released but I always thought that Neil was a pretty killer guitarist.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I always got the feeling with Journey that none of them really believed in the Music. It's almost as if they were put together but a focus group for MTV. They were great muscians though, and I doubt they used any tracks on stage. But when you think about it, they were one of the first hair bands. Spandex and leather is their Legacy, I'm not sure I can ever forgive them for that. ;)

I saw Vital information (Steve Smiths fusion band) a couple of times, great stuff. No question he can play.

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Sounds like a Warwick Thumb Bass before they were even around. :)

14. Liberty

Liberty

Jun 1, 2008
    Schon started playing with Carlos when he was 15 (Neal, not Carlos). Showed a touch of youthful talent with that I guess.

15. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    I can not relate in anyway to what they do.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I always jammed out to this song when I was 12...

dig that Steinberger!

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Played all their hits in the '80s. Not a big fan - although I like Ross Valory. I liked "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'", "Lights" and "Wheel in the Sky"

I agree they wee a lot cooler before Perry joined 'em.
    When Rollie left the soul of the band went with him. He and Dunbar didn't want to be in a pop mainstream band.

Remember "Kohoutek"? Pretty prog for it's time - even got some hit airplay! Sounds really dated now. Good times!!

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought they were very commonly disliked. :meh:

I'm not a fan.

19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, he did. At 16 no less. Gregg Rolie was in Santana with him (sang led vocals on "Black Magic Woman), so that's how they got together.

Which period of Journey are you talking about? Their early (pre-Escape) stuff is really good. I would highly recommend Infinity and Evolution. I really like the Frontiers album as well.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't actively dislike them in a sort of nostalgic type of way.