Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FleaisGod, Jan 12, 2001.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I was wondering if any other bass players out there pop in there favorite CD and play along while pretending to be part of the band at a show. (including getting "too" into the music at times :)
    -Rob

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No... just you.

:D

3. yeah... I also think it´s just you.

:D :p

4. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    ...yeah...

5. seeing that your screen name is fleaisgod i am getting scary visions of you putting in a chilli peppers CD after you put on a tube sock. what if your parents walk in?

6. do you have a giant lightbulb hat? :D

7. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    .....Anybody???:(

8. I thought i was the only one!

I hook up a CD player to my Crate and bring it out on our deck in the summer. The full experience. :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks like it's just the two of you.

10. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Freaks! ;)

11. Ok, I am always the first to band together with the "freaks" as it was put, and I'll do it again! :p As if all bassists don't stand and play along to the cd. It allows for great timing of the songs, correct speed, and by hell i'll jump around if I want to.

See its also good prep, cause i turn up to rehearsal and do the same things that i did whilst playing to a cd and ppl work off that. All band members jump around, head band etc. why not practice in one's room?

I reckon many ppl say we're freaks cause they don't want to admit they do the same thing. hahaha hey we have to play with drummers and guitarists i thought we would've been used to embarassment! :p

Merls

12. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    or not....:)

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    man i used to ALWAYS do that to my rush and iron maiden cds. in my underpants :eek: :D ooo, cold bass cold bass.

14. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Well, I put on my favorite Flecktone's CD...Hang the Fodera...close my eye's.. The Sinister Mister starts..
    I open my eye's...I am not 5'9"..black..and I am lost
    after the first 10 seconds. I'll just keep my eye's shut.
    What a great tune!!
    Dan

15. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I jump around playing to myself most of the time. Even if my bass isn't plugged in.

So yes. I am a crazy mofo.

16. Crazy as a loon :eek:

17. i just finished lisening to johns song and its great, but i think i just found out the answer to how he does those fast neck runs. :D

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm tellin' Mom:eek:

Actually when I was much younger I tried to mimic Verdine White's moves in a 10x12 bedroom. I didn't check the ceiling thoroughly and when the crane started to lift me, I was knocked cold by an overhanging joist.

When I finally came to... there was the most glorious feedback coming from my Crate...:D

Ahhh, youth.

19. Negative_Zero

Negative_Zero

Jan 8, 2001

Your right!!!! i do that all the time! peppers especially, i love playing soul to squeeze and it is the best!!!!!!
    you are the man!!!!!!!

20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I used to "pretend" I was in Metallica, Guns and Roses, Bon Jovi, Faith No More and Alice in Chains. However, once I was in bands regularly, I stopped doing that because I guess I didn't need to any more. The reality was so much better---and so much worse, too.

Now I'm "retired" from being in bands, but the urge to "pretend" to be in the band on the CD has not returned...except a year ago, when Kid Rock's "Bawidaba" brought the spirit back big time for awhile. (Thanks, Kid Rock.)

Actually it would be nice to have the energy to play along with Limp Bizkit or Creed and jump around with my bass agin like in "old times", but...oh, my aching back!

Jason Oldsted