1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does anyone else favor the neck-side stingray pickup position?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Apr 22, 2010.

1. i play an OLP stingray. i can never stand the sound of a 2 pickup bass with both pickups on equal volume. that phasey sound drives me insane. so i always turn one pickup down a hair to fix the phase problem.

what ive found is that i always favored the neck side. this wasnt that strange to me, as i always roll to the neck side of a jazz as well. but today i played a lakland 5502, and despite the preamp and sharp fret edges, it was a wonderful playing bass. great B string, easy to play maple neck. good fretboard pop.

playing with the controls, i see a massive MM style pickup, thats home base for me, and a j pickup out front. so i roll to the j pickup. not bad, a little woofy. i go to the MM side. ew.. phase issue. so i hit the toggle switch. i tried both positions back and forth. switched between the mid pickup and the neck pickup as well. tried every combination imaginable, and i have found that i like that neck side MM position better than the J neck side.

im not even entirely sure what to call that position or where it is in terms of measurement. but i cant get enough of it.

anyone else a fan of JUST that spot?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Sounds to me like a Pbass crave.

3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I have a SR5 that I have kept the switch in the neck position for years at a time. But I wouldn't characterize that as P-bass like.

4. isnt the J pickup right about where the P bass pickup is? the spot im talking about is just a little closer to the bridge

5. i photoshopped them all together to make sense of all this. bridge and 12th fret have been lined up.

the spot im talking about is the second green line. this is what i have been using for years.

today i discovered the pink line and loved it.

the first 3 lines on the left all sound anemic and gross to me. some people are into the lo-fi plinky thing, but it drives me insane.

somewhere between the pink and second green line (what this thread is about) is paradise. a great deal of space away from the first side of a P bass.

seems like the lakland J pickup and the bass side of a P bass are about the same. just a little closer to the bridge than the J side i always roll to. i dont think id ever bother with a jazz bass again if i could find a 5 string P with a jazz neck.

i know there are differences in body woods and pickup types, but bass for bass, no matter what configuration, i feel like the pickup position gives a good idea of the overall tone.

amyvj4.

6. bumpage. i didnt photoshop all that mess for nothin! haha

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If nothing else it is a good reference drawing. I'm keeping it.
    Add in a 70 jazz and 4 string Stingray and we're all set. :)

8. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Nice work on the diagram! Check that line going through the bridge coil on the 'Ray and the bridge pup on the Jazz... and yet, they sound nothing alike, which only goes to show.

I play a Stingray5 fretless HP. The only noodling I ever do with the pickups is on the piezo blend knob (and lately I'm finding I most enjoy the sound of 100% magnetic or 100% piezo, and not so much the blends in between).

When I am playing the magnetic pickup, I always have the toggle in the forward/neck position. I just find the coils in series to give a warmer, fuller fundamental for fingerstyle, which is what I play. The back/bridge/parallel position is not bad, just not as nice. The middle position (single+phantom coil) is useless to me, but I understand why people who play a lot of slap/pop like it.

Of course, bear in mind that when you're comparing an OLP with a Lakland with a EBMM 'Ray, you're comparing apples to oranges to avocados. These have different pickups and different preamps. I'm not even sure if the OLP is wired the same as the EBMM... you seem to be suggesting that on the OLP you can solo either of the humbucker's coils, and this is not the case on the EBMM with a single pup. And when you get multiple pups in the equation on an EBMM, things get even more complicated. On an HH you can't solo any coil individually; all positions are combinations of coils.

Fortunately, the good folks at EBMM provide switching diagrams. You can get the ones for the various configurations of Stingrays here (just click on DIAGRAMS AND SCHEMATICS) :

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/stingray.html

9. you're right. there are a TON of variables here. but it seems i tend to favor that same spot between 2 very different basses. odds are thats just my personal sweet spot. say i had a grabber and i could choose my pickup position, THAT would be it.

the OLP has 2 volumes, so i can make any mix of the 2. i normally run the bridge side halfway down. it takes away some of the buzz while fixing the phase issue.

the controls on a real stingray never made sense to me. but im all passive anyway, so it doesnt matter. id like a passive 5502 :)