Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else feel that alot of their stuff doens't work right?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 24, 2005.

1. I hate it when the things I use stop working properly, and it seem to happen all too often. It will usually be a situation where it sometimes works, it somestimes doesn't, and you never know wheather it will work or not. Here's a starting list.

-My preamp. My Ampeg SVP sometimes works properly, but often I'll get a really weak signal accompanied by static and crackling noises. I took it into the shop and they said they fixed it, but it came back a week later. Fiddling with the screws on the rack case for some misterious reason can help make it work/unwork. This annoys me greatly.

-My cellphone. Sometimes the speaker works, sometimes it doesn't. (I'll have it replaced for the second time when I get home.)

-My headphones. Actually they're fine now, but that's only because I shipped them back to the manufacturer for a replacement. The front two channels worked on and off, the rear two died entirely, but the center was fine. (surroudn sound phones)

-The electronics system in my car. Sometimes everything's ok, but often it will make a constant beeping sound and the internal lights will stay on because it thinks a door's open. We've taken it in many times, but the problem keeps coming back. Often the signal will turn on and off as it decides wheather a door's really open or not.

-My bike. It always rolls smoothly and properly. However, it doens't always pedal properly. Sometimes the pedaling makes the wheels spin, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it knocks the chain off.

-My internet connection at home. I'm at college now, and have had no issues here, but at home, our Verizon dsl is totally random in wheather it's gonna work or not. Verizon tech support blows.

-The backlight on the temp meter on my comp. Sure, I can live without a backlit temperature meter on my computer, but this still goes in the list.

-The router we were using at home died a few months after we bought it. Tech support replaced it under warranty. A few months later, it dies again. Warranty's up. Thanks Dlink!

-As for computers, my current one's functioning flawlessly (except for that backlight), but in the past I've had nightmare situations.

Anyhow, I'm sure that there are many other things in my life that don't work, but these are some off of the top of my head. Do you ever get the feeling that too much of your **** doens't work right?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe you emit a magnetic field. Keep away from my stuff, magnet boy.

brad cook

3. Well, my bass whammy and 105Q pedal don't work, the first is my fault because of paranoia, and the second, well... It's been 3 years and I don't know what it is.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow dude that sucks.

Sometimes the lady where I buy my morning coffee makes it a little too hot. That's about the extent of it for me.

-Mike

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Brad tries fervently to mask his strong attraction to david

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :bag:

Hey someone has to fill the Latimour-shaped void.

brad cook

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my SVP never sounded great, so i bought a GK 1001RB-II on monday. now if Eden would get off some asses and send my the tweeter they couldn't seem to assemble properly in the first place, maybe i can really hear what my new amp is supposed to sound like.

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

yeah, if i type my password in on my cellphone too fast...it shuts off.

my 2 year old truck has spent more time in the shop than most 10 year old vehicles.

i have had pretty good luck so far with bass equipment though.

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    They make pills for that now, you know.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My laptop adapter is screwed up for the 4th or fifth time. It won't put power to the computer unless it is jiggled. It was a fauly solder joint, but after repair, it still got screwed up. Bad design.

My relationship with my wife isn't working too well right now either.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have no problems with my gear because I maintain it. It's getting my hands and fingers to play the right notes on the bass that makes me crazy.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i just heard a decent thing about this on NPR the other day. the guy was essentially saying that there isnt enough of a market demand for products that will last/are durable as peopel want the lates greatest things and that drives the market more than reliability. in fact consumers put reliability way down on the list when considering a purchase.

i thought about that. made an intersting observation. with a few exceptions the most quality things i own that i expect to own a long time are my bass and amps. kinda freaky huh?

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I can never seem to get my fingers to work right :meh:

14. Learn to fix things. Problem solved.

15. :eyebrow: The only thing in that list that I could fix myself is the bike, and to do so I'd need specific parts that I don't have.

16. In the past 7 months, I've had my car croak twice, 2 new laptops die, 2 Ipods go under and my 2 favorite pedals just stop working. Rumor on the street is that I've been playing bass too long and emit a low frequency that slowly corrupts electronics and other otherwise inanimate objects.

17. We should start a support group.

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I don't expect anything to work in the long term, whether it be my computer, car, bass or amps. Everything will get junked in short order. It's unfortunate that nothing lasts these days. I honestly think that there's a conspiracy to make computers "die" a few years after purchasing them due to all the junk/spyware/adware. I can't imagine that anyone actually makes money off of all the **** that's on my computer.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am not going to read any of this but just going to say... topic sounds like a personal problem...

Good luck with that..

:bag:
    Cheers :D

20. Lol, kserg was thinking along the same lines. I actually realized that this was a probably what most people would think as they read this, and hell, I myself thought of that or I wouldn't have realized it, but yea.