1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. chrisbmets

chrisbmets Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    Has anyone else noticed that the used bass market seems to be extremely slow right now? I see lots of great basses sitting unsold for months and many are priced to sell. In addition I've been trying to sell my 2018 MINT F Bass BN4 for months now with no luck whatsoever. I'm jonesing for a jazz bass and this F bass will not sell. I feel I have it priced farily reasonable. Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else feels this way and if anyone has any idea why it seems to have slowed so drastically.

DrZ, CereBassum, PennyroyalWe and 6 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's a buyer's market. You wanna sell you gotta sell cheap. There are too many people and too much stuff.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Matt R, DeaconBlues09, Balog and 46 others like this.
  3. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    It almost always feels slow when you're a seller.

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    People often have unrealistic expectations WRT what their used gear is worth, especially when there are so many instruments available at low price points. If you want to sell used stuff fast, price it to move.

bassballs27, Balog, booch29 and 17 others like this.
  5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    There's always only one reason something doesn't sell.....price.

/

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    It also depends on what your selling and if there is a market for it. I consigned my Modulus Q6 and it lasted all of 1 day before it sold.

Bones

chrisbmets and TolerancEJ like this.
  7. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have over 450 bass gear transactions since 2000. My stuff moves pretty quick because I price them appropriately. Lots of gear sits here and on Reverb for months or years because the seller refuses to budge on price. For example, there's a guy here on TB that has been selling a pickguard for $60 FOR OVER 3 YEARS even though the same guard can be bought new for less. If you feel your gear is "priced to sell" but does not then it's clearly too high.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    One Way, Matt R, Fred Fratto and 33 others like this.
  8. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    I wish you were in Birmingham England, I may have been able to pick up a few bargains!!

birminghambass and TheDominoKid like this.
  9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    No international shipping! (Just kidding)

BassBeginer64 and TheBlueFalcon like this.
  10. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    I'm sure you are much happier where you are anyway!! :D

11. The gear market is flooded. Unless you have something unique, you’re unlikely to get the return you want if you bought new. So don’t buy new, or only buy unique items. Even better, only buy unique items used at lowball prices.

12. ^^^this!

chrisbmets and TheDominoKid like this.
  13. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I'm just a buyer, but I rarely see stuff for a price tempting enough to buy yet another bass, much less something I like. I pretty much need to see a price/instrument combo too good to pass up.

14. We shall keep an eye to the Fbass PJ 40th anniversary on the Classifieds ... it’s going to break some chart permanence records, for not to talk about the B. C. Rich Eagle which is constantly making in and out since three years now, I believe ... ehm ...

15. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    It's funny, there have only been a few things that got my attention, and they all sold in a hurry (largely Sadowsky Metros).

16. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    These days I don't even toy with the idea of selling a bass unless it's a pretty sure thing that it'll sell or that someone has approached me with the idea of selling a bass to them. I recently sold a Sadowsky on consignment through Sadowsky themselves. That's the only way I would've gotten a fair price for that bass and I'm so glad I did it that way, it was painless.

chrisbmets, Susqmike, edencab and 2 others like this.
  17. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah it is. I’ve been trying to sell a Kala U-Bass for two months without a single hit. Crazy slow. Dang thing is priced low too.

18. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Only if I am trying to sell something...;)

Like others have said, it's a buyers market (isn't it always?) and as a seller, you need to price to reflect that...or wait.

Good Luck!

chrisbmets likes this.
  19. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    Tell me about it. Ive been trying to sell my Hog/ebony board G&L L1000 for 2 months now on my philly Craigslist but no takes:meh:

murphy likes this.
  20. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Only because I’ve controlled my G.A.S. now for 27 days now....:smug:

oldrocker, chrisbmets, Mili and 3 others like this.