1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Are you referring to just your items for sale in TB classifieds?...or items listed in TB classifieds in general?

If the latter, how can you know that? Cash offers for items in the TB classifieds are normally made via PM.

Double E likes this.
  2. Probably because the classic 4 piece rock band is now in a similar position to a big band in the 50's or 60's. I'd imagine the maket for double basses and horns slowed massively in the 60's as guitars took over.

3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    This is simply not true... your personal experience does not translate to reality. If you check out this link that I posted earlier Sold Basses you will see that literally hundreds of basses have sold here in the last month alone. Folks are obviously out there making cash offers to complete these transactions.

Sachelis likes this.
  4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

obviously, I cannot speak for everyone. I can only speak for myself and the several friends that I communicate via p.m. here regularly

I’ve sold lots of stuff here on the classifieds myself and have noticed a trend recently that suggested nobody’s buying.
    It’s not just here either. It’s my friends in retail, and eBay sellers and reverb etc. that have noticed a slowdown in sales as well

5. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    List price for a 1962 Jazz Bass in sunburst was around $280. If you put a 1962 Jazz Bass up for half of that I guarantee it will sell.

6. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Again... not what I am seeing at all. Looks like plenty of basses are selling.

Sachelis likes this.
  7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

so it’s fair to say that our experiences differ. That’s fine. The essence of my original point was that I don’t think that people are asking too much for their Instruments. I see lots of prices listed that I find quite reasonable and fair. I believe all the bases will sell. But I’ve noticed that it seems to take longer Recently than it has in the past

chrisbmets likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

for every one wannabe who is buying = two wannabes who are selling! it's a buyer's market. ;)

LBS-bass and Wisebass like this.
  9. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Oh no. You have to start at 35% of half of new;)

10. Now that's my kinda market! :thumbsup: :roflmao:

11. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    Darn, I'm looking for an upright.

Lance Bunyon likes this.
  12. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    SOLD IT!
    It only takes one buyer-sold my pretty and pretty sounding Rogue VB100 Beatle bass.
    Two weeks on CL asking $165 usd w/Labella flats, suede Franklin strap, new gig bag. Had to price drop because GC just put them on sale for $149.99!
    Got $127 cash, guy buying it for his 17yo son as a step up in tone from the Ibby starter ax.
    So everybody happy, I go bass pawn shopping tomorrow, hot free money in my fist, seeking a p/j style tone monster.
    My MIJ 2014 vintage p-bass has the pups in a central location, best spot for tone (and one reason why sex is so popular).
    But now I want to try to make that Seinfeld pdungpdungdungdung bass sound and for that I need a p/j with a bridge pup.
    That Rogue looked and sounded so good though, with the Labella flats. Light, short scale so easy to play, and real old school thump.
    But it crippled arthritic old me after 20 minutes playing it sitting-wrong height for the leg.
    Hard playing it standing too, I gotta stare at the fretboard sometimes and the hollow body thickness obviates that.
    And a fearsome neck diver despite the wide suede strap, twisting and dragging down my shirt-and not in a fun way.
    Money is nice, you only need one buyer. roge-beatl-bass_unbxed(2).

JRA and Tad like this.
  13. I can relate to the younger generation not being interested in the same things as the older generation. I inherited a bunch of china pieces from my mother. I don’t want them and nobody else in the family wants them. I checked with a consignment shop and they’re not interested. I dumped it off at a secondhand store instead of trying to sell it. I just wanted it gone and have the extra space in my basement.

My mother would probably tear me new one if she knew! :eek:

14. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It seems to me like the boutique hype has died down in the last few years - certainly where some brands are concerned. The trend now seems to be focused on the cheaper end of the spectrum (I'm sure Sadowsky's recent introduction of the Metro Express and the Satin series is no coincidence). Also, a lot of the folks who can afford the more expensive stuff are older and many have been around the boutique block by now. The thrill has probably died down a bit and the market here reflects that. But I've also noticed that a lot of the asking prices for second hand basses are ridiculously high. I see people listing MTDs (for example) for more than what I paid for mine new six or seven years ago. I'll sometimes see basses listed by Canadians and think, "That price has to be in Canadian dollars" - only to then see that the asking price is actually in USD.

15. ..and inspired by LSD! :laugh:

GregC, Winky, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  16. Yes. I have a pristine EBMM Bongo 4 HS with piezo on Reverb - a pretty rare configuration - that's been sitting for over a month with almost no interest, and it is PRICED TO SELL. Going to post it up here on TB.

Last week I essentially gave away a minty Spector Core 4 for $400 after it had been sitting there for a couple of months.

I suffer from a lot of GAS and I have a small place - if I don't like something I move it out quickly so my GAS is usually about 70% self sustaining - buy one/sell one. But lately I can't have any fun. :sour:

Meanwhile I'm chalking it up to the summer season - hope that's all it is.

chrisbmets and Green Knight like this.
  17. And if you gave it away I guarantee it would sell even faster. :thumbsup:

Fresh Eddie likes this.
  18. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    TB Seller: 1962 Fender Jazz, all original. $250 + shipping.
    TB buyer via PM: Hey nice bass! Would you take $200 shipped ?

19. +1. Speaking for myself, my GAS for boutique basses was fueled in large part by curiosity since I can’t try any of them locally. If I could, I might have realized they weren’t that much better than what I already had.

20. LOL!

TB buyer: Weight? String spacing?