1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    TB tire kicker: Oh man... if only it had 5 strings!

2. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    If that thing was 32'' scale length and 1/2 an ounce lighter I would be all over it.

If it is any consolation the UK market is just as grim:

UK Seller: 1962 Fender Jazz, all original. £250 + shipping.

UK buyer via PM: Hey nice bass! Would you trade for this refinished Squier bass with a dodgy Fender decal? I painted it myself and it looks good enough from ten feet away. One of the pickups is crackly but I'm sure it is a five minute fix. It needs a new pickguard but those are £5 on Ebay so easy enough to replace. Would benefit from a refret as well if I'm honest. It easily plays as well as my mate's Custom Shop, so how about we for a straight trade?

or...

UK buyer via PM: You want to trade for this 5-string OLP Stingray? It is easily worth £400, so how about you send me £100 via Paypal Friends and Family, and you drive 2 hours to my house to pick it up?

or...

UK buyer via PM: I get paid a week on Monday, and if my Traben sells then I'm all over this bass. Please can you hold onto it until then and mark it as sold? I'm totally going to buy this bass.

UK buyer via PM, day before sale: Actually exactly £250 worth of damage has just occurred to my car/boiler/roof, so can you hold onto the bass for another week for me?

UK buyer via PM, day of sale: I really want your bass. Would you trade for a Stagg Les Paul Custom copy, a Zoom guitar multi-effects pedal, a cable and one of those stick-on plectrum holder thingies? I really need a bass.

UK buyer via PM:

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Chris :)

Great popcorn thread!!! :thumbsup:

Country or western? (insert pic bob ' s countr

blues_brothers.

It was always like that! :D

You can' t be a bassplayer without a bass! And there were always basses in shops! :laugh:

buy new=> lose money (when you buy an instrument, a car, a house, or when you marry :roflmao:)

Used comes cheaper! :D (but I get your point! Times have changed, kids don' t play R&R these days)

Yes! And you can see folks buy stuff that was crap when it was new,

but suddenly changed into "magic mojo fairy dust" (vintage = old + marketing)

Seller' s expectations are higher these days than they were 25 years ago. (at least for some stuff)

Let them :crying:!

Don' t buy a bass to sell it! (and don' t marry to divorce! :D)

[QUOTE="JRA, post: 23015980, member: 251921"]for every one wannabe who is buying = two wannabes who are selling! it's a buyer's market. ;)[/QUOTE]

:laugh::roflmao: fixed that! Too good to be hidden!

greetings

Wise

4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    ...and matriculated by THC! :)

Bass Viking likes this.
  5. They won’t be giving them away but I wouldn’t be surprised if vintage prices do go down. Much of the $$ is based on nostalgia which the younger generation doesn’t relate to. Time will tell.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I believe that the prices are largely based on the fact that almost all *real* vintage gear worth owning ended up in the hands of Japanese collectors starting in the mid-90s and we'll never be able to buy these back again...

Bass Viking and Lance Bunyon like this.
  7. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

My G.A.S. For a few things is starting to get unbearable so there might be a slight uptick soon!!!!!!!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm good with this, as long as your uptick in G.A.S. is indirectly proportional to your T.A.B.

9. B-Mac

T.A.B.?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    IMG_20181130_205001_01.

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "I’m on my 5th rum and tonic..."

... T.A.B.

It hurts more than you'll ever know, for having to explain it. Let's try again...

... what number am I thinking of?

12. B-Mac

Wait second bob a louie.....you’re crossing different threads here.....

Green Knight and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    With new items being able to be purchase with no freight, or some places with like 35 dollar shipping it hard to sell an item and cover the freight cost to seal the deal, I was wanting to sell a used cab for a fair price and shipping was $65 and the Pay pal fees, said local sale only and I will wait. some times when I purchase used items I will ask if we can cut a deal on shipping and I will pre pay the shipping cost and e mail the UPS label, works great due that the seller does not loose a bunch of cash for shipping I get lower cost on the shipping.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  14. B-Mac

74?
    That would be my next bass (Total Acquired Basses)

I’m not at my favorite watering hole now

I’m trying to figure out how to sing and play bass on Don’t Fear the Reaper as the bass line is not too difficult

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. Yes. A market is a market. You exit with cash or you stay in.
    This market is flooded with high quality new, as well as high quality used, and that’s not going to change.
    Player instruments that are vintage should be affordable. That’s good for everyone.
    There’s so much quality new stuff for non-players that very few actual players see competition for purchase on vintage non collector pieces.
    The average refin vintage (50s to 70s) bass with swapped out pickups and replacement parts needs to become affordable. The market is shrinking and that’s not gonna change either. Less people, less rock, more computer music. No money, no glory in playing real instruments. Not for a long time and not soon.

chrisbmets and Green Knight like this.
  16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Stop GASing and spend that time playing.

17. I'm going back to the part where people are just pricing things emotionally rather than sanely. Case in point:
    As some may know, I've been looking for an ESP LTD B-206SM for some time, got my eye on a couple for sale locally, just waiting on the budget to say it's time to move on one. One got listed today, get this, for $625! Now, they sell BRAND NEW for $569. And, there's two others listed locally, one at $350 and one at $270. So this guy listed his $65 above new and at least $270 above the competition. When I asked this seller about his listing and why he had it priced so high, his response was "Mine is listed below msrp." I told him "Nope, they sell for $569 brand new." He insisted "Probably not the same thing." I then linked the website to Guitar Center and linked the two others already listed and his response was "I don't know what you're getting at, I'm selling it for what I'm selling it for." I'm not "getting at" anything dude, other than you price is WAY too high. And this is why the market is slow, prices are just wrong.

18. The seller may be right about his price being below msrp but so what? Stores always charge less than msrp. Does he really think people are so stupid they won’t compare prices?

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    We have a relatively free market.

1) Price = Demand / Supply

2) The price the seller originally paid means less than zero.

3) Smart and serious sellers investigate recent actual sale information, price accordingly, and then drop prices as needed depending on response.

4) As a seller, you have to get that #2 out of your head.

Shipping cost management is an issue to me, at least here on TB. As a seller, I’m perfectly OK with buyers bargain hunting. But, once the bargain is struck on a selling price, there can be some pretty scum bag dynamics, where buyer expects seller to pick up 100% of the shipping cost. On a new item sale, that’s a much different deal.

Particularly here in the TB community, I find buyers who are unwilling to contribute to shipping to be bad citizens. The shipping concerns have all jacked their costs over the past few years. Selling large items like cabs is massively impacted. Insurance on pricier basses is increasingly expensive. Working out a good deal as a buyer is one thing. Putting the screws to the seller on shipping is bad behavior. And, THAT attitude is shutting down a lot of potential deal making.

20. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I figure shipping is always lost $$$ for the buyer...not the seller. However, sometimes a seller will pay for or subsidize shipping as part of the final negotiated price which is fine.