1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Believe it or not the cost of shipping the cab are not the problem it is packaging it ! had a deal on some fender 2 x 10 cabs and cost to ship them through UPS was like 65 bucks total, the cost of packaging them was like 70 bucks for materials- HD Boxes - Styrofoam Corners - Bubble Pac - Sealing Tape, said forget it , Buy local !
    If one scratch or a ding happens in shipping even if you insure it through the wazzzo, if the receiving party also used Pay Pal and files a claim against you- you are screwed ! and not in a good way!
    Pay Pal will always take the buyers side, I have sold enough items through them to know this. Ups looses it, damages it or the USPS does the same its on the seller .

ajkula66 likes this.
  2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    That is the fly in the ointment... while we are all enjoying a time where great gear is available to us through a few keystrokes, sometimes at very reasonable prices, we must be aware how this is will to impact the used market. Those boutique bass cabs you bought new nay not net you much on the used market compared to what you originally paid.

Speaker cabs have always been a risky item to buy used anyway and it's never really been easy to recoup a decent percentage of your investment.

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Speaker cabs are local only. That said, I did FedEx a Mesa Scout combo from Maryland to Florida for $60 including box and insurance. They had to have screwed that up.

4. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    I’m sure it’s been mentioned already, but since the overall perception of the US economy is a positive one right now (politics aside), people seem to be more willing and able to buy new. The used market always thrives during an economic downturn. It’ll swing around again.

I don’t think it’s “slow” right now anyway. Certain things move very quickly if they’re “in”. Fender is doing well currently. Even you mentioned that you’re trying to move boutique gear to get some Fender action. That’s reflective of the market as a whole IMO. Fender is hot stock. Not that it’s ever done poorly in the bass world overall, but it seems to be what’s what right now.

chrisbmets, mexicant and matti777 like this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

Shipping a disassembled bass within Germany is still reasonable, under €30. I simply figure it in, and go the "free shipping!" route.

6. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Shipping within Canada costs about $70 USD, but it's nearly twice that to ship to the USA, so free shipping for me is a bit of a gamble. If I factor enough into the price to cover international shipping, then not only is the overall price less attractive, it is also inflated for my compatriots. Meanwhile, if I only factor in enough for domestic shipping, then I get burned when an American buys it, which, given the difference between the sizes of the two markets, is much more likely. Having said that, I have taken the advice of the overwhelming majority in this thread and offered free shipping on the not-pink Kubicki I have in the Classifieds right now. You guys are right. When it comes to selling higher end gear, the positives of free shipping substantially outweigh the negatives.

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  7. Oig

Oig Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2019
    I repeatedly cut the price on my Carvin LB76 so I could sell it to pick up a decent 5 string (I have a strict one in, one out understanding with the wife, and I usually make sure new acquisitions are totally covered by gear sales). Anyways, when the Carvin finally sold six or so weeks later, she put the kibosh on a new five because family funds were at a low ebb. I ended up putting $1100 of gear money into household expenses. Voluntarily, lol.

Of course, it goes without saying that she was right. But boy, was I pissed at the time.

Charlzm, B-Mac and chrisbmets like this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

...and you're still married. :) I learned this lesson too late.

Oig, Charlzm and chrisbmets like this.
  9. chrisbmets

chrisbmets Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    My rule with the Mrs. is that I must now sell a bass in order to fund another one. It's fine though. I have three great basses and I'm now able to sell a bass and use the proceeds to buy an equivalent high end used bass so it's like I'm just trading one for the other. I recently sold my Lakland USA 44-94 for $1725 and bought a gorgeous used USA 44-64 P bass for exactly $1725.

Charlzm and B-Mac like this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    As long as I have an ad posted I can rightly claim that I’m trying to sell it. :D

(No really, I’m trying as hard as I can)

11. chrisbmets

Dec 8, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    LOL!!! Unfortunately in my case, a bass has to sell BEFORE I can pull the trigger on the new one.

Charlzm likes this.
  12. This sounds like when my ex-wife told me I had to sell my car. I listed it about $20k above what it was worth. :roflmao:

13. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    It’s always a battle between supply and demand per brand and sometimes a specific model.

This year has been exceptionally slow in my opinion. There are some great buys out there...but there are some high asking prices.

Buyers dictate the price. If there’s no buyers...then the answer is pretty obvious to sellers...it’s price!
    Timing can be another issue to though.
    If there is no one in the market, there’s no one to buy.

Many people don’t understand trades, but in a time like this...if money is getting tighter, why not consider trades?
    Sure, there’s always more risk you may not like the trade, but you might be able to trade for something that’s easier to sell and could get you some cash.

keithbroussard and chrisbmets like this.
  14. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Yeah, I've seen some high asking prices. To the point of, just wait for Guitar Center's 15% coupon and buy it new. Also, some 20-30 year old Sadowsky basses at very close to current new pricing. But if you're patient, there have been good deals as well.

bassballs27 likes this.
  15. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    I am a buyer, modder, repairer, builder, player... I buy quite a bit but some of the stuff I see is priced way to high .. silly high. Once again it is a buyer's market. I rarely sell any of my basses so I don't know what it's like from a sellers point of view but I do know the market is saturated with used instruments so if you are selling anything common like a P or a J, budget or midrange get real with your pricing. F basses are beautiful but it's in a niche segment and it will take time to move it.

bassballs27 likes this.
  16. I'll bet a lot of wives have caught on to this scheme! ;)

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  17. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    On my side of the border, Long and McQuade never offers coupons. They occasionally have sales and clearouts, but nothing like guitar centre. I’m fortunate to live not far from Buffalo, NY, so I’ve been able to take advantage of some deals at GC. But with the value of the US dollar VS Canadian dollar these days...I’m staying home.

18. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger

Jun 3, 2012
    Seattle
    Tell me about it. I've been trying to sell my '03 Carvin LB75A fretless for quite a while. *I* think it runs circles around a lot of spendy boutique basses that cost 4x more. Maybe the fretless (unlined) market is a very small niche. If I was still gigging I wouldn't dream of selling it but it's too good to give away for chump change.

19. Bass1969

Bass1969

Dec 29, 2018
    Oh yeah. Way slow and way too many used basses on the market when one looks at eBay and Reverb. And silly prices being asked, too. People look at the Vintage Guitar price guide and think 'whoa, my XYZ bass has to be worth $$$ at the highest end of the scale'. Probably not.

Dave Neal and keithbroussard like this.
  20. chrisbmets

Dec 8, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    I agree with you 100%. If anyone wants to trade me a Lakland USA 44-60 jazz bass (preferably with block inlays) for my F Bass, I'm good with that!

bassballs27 likes this.