1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    IME some types of basses are just harder to move. The sweet spot for boutiques is five strings... not fours. Sixes are tough, it took me a year to move my first year MTD 635 for what I wanted but I was in no rush. Fretlesses are tough too. Even my 77 Carl Thompson fretless four just broke even on what I had into it.

Basses worth over $2k that aren't in high demand can sit unless the price is very attractive. That's how I pick up many of mine.

CereBassum and Afc70 like this.
  2. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    I personally am tired of dealing with people buying in the pre-owned market. I don't want to ship things and pay for that free shipping mentality. I'd just rather sell to a store and let them deal with the young and the restless!

On the other hand, I refuse to buy from anyone using the term "rare" in an ad...lol
    I'm negotiating right now with a dude who thinks because you don't see many of something this supports a ridiculous price. He hasn't heard of "options!"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Dave Neal likes this.
  3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Where is it listed?

4. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    And sometimes that’s all it takes.
    Trades only work when both sides are happy with the deal. Have you tried asking people who have the brand and model you’re looking for if they’d want to trade? Posting a wanted ad can help too.

chrisbmets likes this.
  5. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I was fortunate to be able to move a couple of Roscoe 5’s lately.. but, yes, it seems like it takes longer these days to move an item, especially sell, compared to times past. I’ve got a killer Curbow Petite 5 string, that I’ve been tempted to sell or trade, but I’m reluctant to post, due to the seemingly slow market, & narrow window of potential buyers (Imo), but I’m ok with it sitting in the case until I see a potential trade or buyer. A few years ago, it seemed easier selling a higher end bass.

6. Conrad romeo

Conrad romeo

Jun 17, 2018
    The problem with buying a used instrument from the private seller is usually cash only . buying a new instrument can be charged on a credit card or on a payment plan

Green Knight and Winky like this.
  7. Levitamin

Levitamin

Jan 17, 2009
    There is a guy here on CL selling a vintage Danelectro bass for like $1500. The same vintage model routinely sells for maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of that on eBay and Reverb. It's been listed for at least a year. People are crazy.

When I see items I want that have been sitting for sale forever, I always make offers or email the seller. Sometimes I get lucky. There was a new numbered, limited edition, Audio Technica anniversary microphone sitting on Amazon forever at $479. Probably the last new one available anywhere. I emailed the seller and asked if they would take $200 for it. To my shock, they did.

8. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I still have my Square account and can accept a CC, and you can link a PayPal account to a CC if you have to (did that once).

9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Do you mean "rare"? Gosh, I sure hope so. lol

Dave Neal, matti777 and chrisbmets like this.
  10. chrisbmets

chrisbmets Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Central New Jersey
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll post a want ad and maybe that'll do the trick!

11. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    No way, cash all the way. Guy could charge it back easily. Or create all sorts of trouble for you. Maybe he gets the bass and breaks the truss rod trying to adjust it, then return it to you. Makes me very nervous. I don't even think selling it to him with a receipt that says "as is" is enough.

12. Little Hexes

Little Hexes

Jun 30, 2019
    In addition to people listing their gear for prices that are too high, a lot of folks also fail to write a compelling product description. First and foremost: the neck condition. Is the neck straight? Does the truss rod work? What's the action at the 12th fret? Fret buzz or dead spots? Neck dimensions. The quality and quantity of photos is also critical: Is the instrument shot in good light, from all angles? If there are mods to electronics, I want to see photos of the wiring to make sure it's all attached (I have been burned before on this, lol). And, finally, if the instrument comes with a case, I will generally go with that over the same guitar without a case, because shopping for a separate case is a hassle.

I follow used bass listings daily, waiting for real deals (ones too good to pass up) on a handful of instrument makes/models I'm interested in. I take my time to follow and see what the pricing trends are. I have come across good deals and purchased on-the-spot when I see them. It takes a lot of time and diligence.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The majority of private used sales I've dealt with have taken paypal or other payments. It's another cost to factor into the selling price.

14. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    Yup...

Typing contact-lens crossed! lol

15. Oh come on. I kind of enjoy the ads titled "Like New" and the only description is "$450 firm" and it has one picture that was taken by a drunk guy in a dark room with his finger half covering the lens. :roflmao:

GregC, Little Hexes and CereBassum like this.
  16. TB Seller:
    1962 Fender Jazz, all original. $250 + shipping.

TB "buyer" via PM:
    Hey nice bass! Always wanted one - too bad I can't buy it now. What's the weight?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  17. BadCaps

BadCaps

Feb 9, 2019
    The main problem I've seen is that people aren't looking to buy gear they're going to use anymore. They're merely looking for "steal deals" that they can flip for a profit. So unless you mark things way low (less than 1/2 market value), nobody pays attention. Sometimes that doesn't even help. I've recently tried to sell an amp on Offerup for basically 1/3 of what it has sold for on Ebay, and it's way below what many people have asked on other sites; yet not even a single offer on it. I can remember putting stuff on Craigslist years ago and having it sell in about 1 hour.
    Greed for big profit has taken over. People only want to find something like an original fender tweed 5e3 for $40 and then sell it for $3000.

18. Joecooch

Joecooch

Jun 19, 2016
    Florida, USA
    I always have couple of basses for sale. The cheap stuff ($200 - $500) always sells pretty quick. It's anything over that, that can takes some time. Craigslist is ok for a $200-$300 bass. At least around here. I used to like Reverb.com to sell on, but they've gotten so expensive. They fee you to death, I sold a MarkBass amp a couple of week ago on the Reverb site. With all the fees they took 10%. Outrageous! Ebay is my go to place of late. At 1 1/2% sellers fees on music equipment and free listings you can't beat it. And once you have a track record on the site, they pay instantly. I love that!!

CereBassum likes this.
  19. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Good luck with Ebay if a buyer decides they want their money back for some ridiculous reason. Which will happen.

CereBassum and ajkula66 like this.
  20. Joecooch

Joecooch

Jun 19, 2016
    Florida, USA
    I have yet to have a return on Ebay. Had a couple of non paying bidders, but no returns. Reverb has returns too. I know because I've been the returner and had a couple of people do the same. After 4+ years and some 275 transactions on Reverb, and 5 years and some 390 transactions on Ebay I have have a perfect feedback scores on both. It's being honest and up front and taking care of your customer. If someone returns something I just sell it again.