1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Self-admittedly, I've always been a "Wishlist weirdo". My wishlist is an elaborate spreadsheet where I record prices and weblinks to all instruments I GAS for and I have located online (TalkBass, Reverb, etc.) Checking my list quickly, I have 42 TalkBass classifieds saved. There are absolutely remarkable basses available. The desire is present, but the money is not.

Also, I've already met my yearly quota of 2 basses per year that I set for myself. It helps to ease my wife's concern.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It’s not just the used instrument market that’s slow - new instruments too.

Lownote38, xbud, chrisbmets and 4 others like this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Quotas are overrated and you can’t play them either. :smug:

justjake and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. Haha, I understand you. There is a 3rd bass that is nagging my mind. lol :D But realistically, if my choice is a quota or wife, I must go with the wife.

timplog and B-Mac like this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Happy wife...Happy life.

6. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Slow Bass sales in the golden age of TalkBass?

"It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Phud, foolforthecity and mikewalker like this.
  7. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Just to emphasize what others have been saying about price, I recently bought an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 after it had been listed on Reverb for only 7 hours. It was priced right at $380 shipped. Didn't think twice.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Ironically the last 2 basses I lusted after I could not find. Selling is tough and Imho makes people reluctant to buy. Around here even the stores are reluctant to take trades.

9. Expand your market... Facebook, Craigslist, Reverb, eBay, and always put “Motivated seller. Make me an offer.” Also, talk that poopie up like a used car salesmen! Make appear to be the bass/gear of their dreams. If you really want to move it, budge on price...

xbud likes this.
  10. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    OP says a lot of gear is priced to sell, but I don't see that. The market for used gear always looks to me like people are pricing emotionally. I see used basses at 75% of new pretty regularly. I see Sire basses in particular in the classifieds here all the time with prices that are higher than new once you add shipping. I don't get it.

The prices aren't causing people to move; I'd figure your couple year-old bass in really good shape will probably sell at about 60% of new and go from there.

High-end stuff always takes a long time to sell, even if you do have the price right. There's just fewer people in the market.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Cyborg, TheDominoKid, jongor and 10 others like this.
  11. I could probably do ya a good trade in on the wife.....:D

DrMole and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Nope. I've bought an amp and a bass this year. Sold three basses.

What I have noticed is a staggering amount of stuff, particularly here on Talkbass and Reverb, that is overpriced and will never sell for what the owner is trying to unload it for.

Additionally, as the price goes up the number of potential buyers drops exponentially. OP, you're trying to unload an F Bass. Your buyer's pool is going to be VERY small and even if you price it low, you're going to probably be sitting on it for a year or two. More if the threatened economic downturn strikes.

xbud, rojo412, justjake and 3 others like this.
  13. MynameisMe

MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    Steamy Florida
    I recently saw a Fender American standard P Bass for $500 and it's sat there and sat there and sat there and finally somebody bought it I was shocked.
    it looked real nice with a traditional sunburst finish on it.
    I wasn't in the market for another one so I did not bite on it.

14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    The trick is to be patient. Have a clear idea of what you want, your price point, then weight it out. Eventually it will show up.

That said, the first gently used Mesa WD-800 that shows up for about $700, it’s mine...and i’m patiently waiting

xbud and mikewalker like this.
  15. My bass for sale isn't even used, it's new.
    I have a completely new, unplayed Squier VM/CV70's (NEW Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (60's spacing) body with a NEW CV70's Jazz Bass neck (maple w/black block inlays) on CL in Chicago for a month now and not even a nibble. Not even one text message on it. The plastic is still on the pickguard along with a sticker, plastic still on the pickups and tuners....it's untouched except for the neck swap... but... crickets.
    I need to sell it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  16. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I habitually "window shop" for basses on my phone at night. If I see something that I like priced low, I'll buy it right away. I don't need new gear, but on the rare occasion I stumble upon a really good deal, I don't pass it up. I also sell low when i want to move something... If you buy low, you can sell low.

17. Well, that depend on the bass you’re offeri... Hey, wait a minute! Haha :D

Alex Bass likes this.
  18. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Very slow. You see the same basses for over a year on eBay and Reverb.
    People don't have disposable cash.
    If they do, they seek a deal way beyond what should be possible. Like 25% of used value.

I have a 1941 Kay M1 which I'd like to sell cause I'm so horrible on upright bass.
    I don't see them selling anywhere near what they were selling for 5 years ago.
    Also, the price of high end custom instruments' has almost doubled in that same 5 years.
    Things are rotten.

19. $20

or do you only really want to sell it :smug:

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  20. $20 ?? ..that's crazy, BassClown...:roflmao: