1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    That's interesting...

I had 89 transactions on eBay over 14 years with 100% positive feedback. No returns and no hassle dealing in USPS money orders. I'm a player not a business. I stopped using eBay due to Pay Pal over the sale of a vintage Lakland J.O. 4 to a good dude in Japan. No problem with anything except PP wanting to hold my $2K for SIX MONTHS because "it was my first PP transaction!" I have never used eBay again.

I currently have +/- 70 5 star transactions on Reverb and one 4 star with a total wackjob from Boston. A stroke bag who diddled me for 4 months AFTER being the first person to look at a super clean 30 year old custom color Bass (I was helping a pro who deals 6 days a week in a top guitar shop in Austin sell because he doesn't want to deal with selling on his off time), drove Reverb crazy threatening Pay Pal intervention on his behalf, because he wanted the lower price that the owner declined four months prior, before giving this a** a discount.

This dude changed my entire outlook on doing this anymore, anywhere!

CereBassum, Winky and ajkula66 like this.
  2. Agreed. Reverb has gone done the tubes in A LOT OF WAYS.
    Never compared the fee schedules with tax etc - Reverb started taking tax 'for you'... Does EBay come out better now? How about the shipping?

3. Joecooch

Joecooch

Jun 19, 2016
    Florida, USA
    They all take tax for my state now so either way it's a cost.

As I stated earlier, my last 2 transactions on Reverb they took 9.8% plus the sales tax. Ebay charges a flat 1.5% on all music equipment plus the Paypal fee. Works out to 4.5% plus the sales tax. I'm a player not a dealer, but buy and sell a lot. One, I like to try out different basses. Two I buy them a little edgy, fix them up, sell them. I used to delude myself I could make a little extra money. Not! It's turned into just a hobby. Make a little, lose a little. In the end it's a break even proposition. Although by doing, I've learned how to repair and setup a bass. Huge plus!!

CereBassum likes this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The used market has been slow for a long time. Particularly for higher end basses. I've always had good luck selling my under $300 basses quickly. The more they cost, the slower they sell, in general.

EDIT - I just looked at the bass for sale section, haven't looked in a while. No wonder nothing is selling, the prices are crazy. People asking $400, $500 (and more) for Squiers, and other basses that used to be inexpensive being put out at crazy asking prices.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Dave Neal likes this.
  5. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    So true, People selling basses as if they are made of gold ... words like vintage and rare. Or modded cheap basses with all kinds of pimping ...lipstick on a pig.

lfmn16 and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It's particularly ironic when they brag about the mods on their vintage bass. You feel like saying, "You know it's only worth all that money if it's original, right?"

Reminds me of an episode of Pawn Stars when Rick told the guy, "Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable."

7. Yup, low supply + low demand doesn’t = desirable.

Dave Neal and lfmn16 like this.
  8. +1. Many people see right through the BS, it can actually work against the seller.

Dave Neal and lfmn16 like this.
  9. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Perfect example of a buyer dbag. Got this today.

Screenshot_20190916-163035.

ajkula66 likes this.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Total D Bag.

BeefPie84 and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  11. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I would have told him $550.....

ajkula66 likes this.