1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    This! I was going to say the same thing - custom to you means unfamiliar to others. Your dream bass may not even be a consideration at any price for most people.

And we've never had so many quality basses at affordable prices as we do now. Even when basses are very desirable to me, I find it extremely hard to buy them if they cost three times what another very good bass costs.

And the third factor is, the generation of us old guys that grew up with EB-3s and Hagstroms and Hofners is dying off and the next generation is not dreaming about the same basses we did. Demand is falling rapidly on many (but not all) vintage instruments. Times are changing.

DrMole, mdlewis, uusak and 1 other person like this.
  2. Most TB members already have between 17 and 124 basses. Might have something to do with it.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Looks the same to me too.

I see a lot of people pricing things 10-15% below buying new and wonder why it doesn’t move. Or who seem to think slapping the phrase “rare” on something (usually it’s nothing more than a limited run paint job) will somehow magically up the selling price.

I tried to explain to a friend that unless he’s pricing at least 30% below new for most gear that’s still in production, he’s going to be in for a long wait before he sells anything.

He was highly offended and ignored me. And even worse, he had an unfortunate habit of getting indignant and a little snotty with potentially serious buyers who made what I thought were very reasonable offers.

He’s also been unable to move anything he has listed on eBay or Reverb.

Meyatch, Mili and uusak like this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I’d watch it. Several times. Especially if you did some cool Oliver Stone type effects.

Put it on YouTube. You’ll go viral and make your money back that way.

5. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    It's a buyers market at this point. However, you can still find a great gem if you take the time to search through endless threads and ads.
    Some people are holding on to their instruments because they are evaluating the market. Can I make a profit, or more importantly, do I really want to let go of this instrument that I have played for so long, or even mods expenditures I have made that has made the instrument a gem. Who knows?
    I can relate my personal experience that I have been very sorry to have sold some of my instruments that I have tweaked to my personal specs. On the other hand, I have purchased some gems that sellers have also tweaked. Happy hunting. I enjoy the hunt.

Relsom and mikewalker like this.
  6. Loudart

Loudart

May 30, 2014
    www.MetalRecordingServices.com
    I you have been trying to sell it over 30 days. Its priced above market. There is always a hungry shop with one too many on the wall. That can get another wholesale. That is the key, used should not be priced near wholesale with expectation to sale. No one smart will be interested.

Balog, uusak and Tad like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Part of that is because the price isn’t necessarily the only thing that keeps people from buying high end gear.

People shop for what they know. If you come by with some exotic instrument, it doesn’t necessarily matter if you offer it for half of what one usually goes for. Unless someone’s specifically in the market for one they’re going to go with the more familiar Fender, Ibanez, etc. etc. brands and models.

8. Loudart

Loudart

May 30, 2014
    www.MetalRecordingServices.com
    Exactly right you could an h9 eventide 350 new shipped with a warranty. There is one on here for $500 make no sense.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve been having some luck selling Mexican jazz basses but i only buy if I can add the price of new strings to the cost and be reasonably assured it will sell for a profit. I’ve also had some luck selling the same basses modded and coming out ahead. I’m not making college fund or retirement money but i’m not going in the hole and i usually move a for sale bass in a couple three weeks. That said, it’s been more than six months since i sold a bass, but i haven’t tried to sell a bass in those months, bit i’ve been doing OK with parts. I’m working on lightening my load and i’ve got a couple more basses and a decent pile of parts that have to go.

10. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow Banned

Aug 6, 2019
    When used basses/guitars are only 10-15% off of a new price, I’ll use the payment plan for the new one.

If the new one is on sale.... even better.... in the last 2 weeks I got 17% off a closeout price.

Retailers are easier to bargain with than most private sellers.

Meyatch, DrMole, Mili and 6 others like this.
  11. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    I recently moved some of my gear, price is everything. People looking for used gear are looking for a bargain so I priced a lot of it at 50% of new street value, took only a few days to sell.

12. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    I think they may have been underpriced, but an Alembic, 70s Fender Jazz Fretless, Sadowsky Metro 5 and NYC 4 all sold within a couple days locally. I snagged the Sadowsky NYC and went back for the Alembic and it was gone (2 days on market).

TolerancEJ and MattZilla like this.
  13. May I ask why you bought new instead of a screaming bargain used instrument in the first place?

Balog, Charlzm, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  14. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Summertime. I'd rather spend money on summer stuff, and now Xmas is right around the corner...

15. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    I'm selling an Ibanez locally for $500. They were $800 new. I priced to $500 to accept the inevitable lowball that will come my way of even lower. I keep getting a text from an annoying guy telling me $270. I'm not selling it for that. I don't care how long it sits. Its a matter of pride. But I also don't buy basses to rely on reselling them. If I can't afford it sitting, I don't buy it.

Kevan Campbell and Phud like this.
  16. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings
    The used market is not very good at all right now imho. I was forced to settle for about $2500 under my lowest asking price to sell off a recent custom.

17. Phud

Phud

Jul 2, 2017
    Ohio
    In my opinion :oops:_ some sellers think they have solid gold items and get pretty snarky when asking questions about an item or requesting better pics or lower price. Granted it may be worth the asking price I don't know, I can't play the thing or tell from a poor pic what to expect. They will show a manufacturers or dealers pic or a crappy pic of it. And...my favorite peev, no description other than the description Reverb or whatever the site offers.

Granted the seller may be some one that doesn't have a clue what it actually is they are selling just what some buyers or collectors guide listed as the same or similar.
    Ebay does have some of the same problems but has it's buyers feedback to look up and it also seems a better link between buyer and seller. TB also has a good system.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Sounds like a bitter seller Where is this Stage 2 4 string that will ship to Canada for $2k
    Ps the only offer I got on my us jazz was $450 so I know

19. bluepeep

bluepeep

Mar 19, 2002
    Long Island, NY

MAYBE

You shouldn't buy crazy Blue Basses...... :D:laugh::roflmao::hyper:

Charlzm and uusak like this.
  20. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    This makes me think of a negotiation I attempted with a seller about a 4003s that was marked up about $400 higher than what it retailed. He eventually found somebody else to buy it. He also tried to tell me it was new even though he bought it a year ago.

To keep this relevant to the OP: I like the idea of owning a F bass. The downfall with selling a custom is hoping someone can live with the specs the seller ordered.

I like custom basses, but it helps to be prepared to live with it, potentially forever. Otherwise, you are taking a bath on the price.

mikewalker likes this.