1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Just wait for the next economic something or other and load up......on real estate and stock.

I guess you could go 2-for-1 on basses too.

2. Um, I didn't buy "it", I bought two brand new basses... then I swapped necks...
    I still have two brand new basses. One I'm keeping and the other, I'm selling.
    Just because the necks have been swapped doesn't mean they aren't still in mint, unplayed or "new" condition.

3. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    The lefty market actually seems pretty good right now at least for the interesting and somewhat hard to find stuff. I’ve sold three pretty cool guitars in the past week and a half. Saw a rare and sweet Japan Epiphone Riviera last night and just bought a maple board ‘85 Peavey Foundation bass (for some reason).

Green Knight and mikewalker like this.
  4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    You may be limited on interested buyers, thus keeping it longer (unless you are willing to wait).

uusak likes this.
  5. People in the market for custom basses are after something very specific. Unless you find someone after exactly what you have all you are selling used is a bass, not a "custom bass"

No but it does mean that either
    a) you swapped the neck because it was bad(from a buyers perspective)
    b) it is an option the manufacurer doesn't provide, presumably because of low demand. They should know.
    Either case seems likely to lead to a low sale price.

6. Well, at a bit over 30% less than you'd pay for it "new", you can get my "new" one and have cash left over for some better pickups or tuners.... I can wait because I have no other choice but I do not want to keep it.

7. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    I think it's 3 issues. ...

1. The guy that just is charging way to much
    2. The people that refuse to except a new bass cost way more than it did just 5 years ago. Music man is a perfect example of this.
    3. Way less kids,are playing and buying instruments. Sad but true

Muttleybass and mikewalker like this.
  8. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    IMHO you are completely correct concerning customs.

As for the second part, in some cases the neck is a major aesthetic consideration. A Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is a good example, as swapping the neck will probably turn some buyers off.

9. It looks just like a Geddy Lee bass, just with a black pickguard and 60's pickup spacing.
    JUST like what Squier was calling the VM 70's bass not too long ago......

Yep, over 30% cheaper or $100 less sounds pretty good to me.

10. I bet they didn't stop selling them because they were swamped with buyers......

uusak and ShortyGetLow like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The stuff I like seem to go fast!

12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Unless a seller is selling something that is in high demand (which *usually* is NOT the case), then the asking price for a second-hand item should be AT LEAST 30% less than the cost of buying it new. I say that because, in many cases, if the asking price is higher than that, many buyers will simply throw in the extra bucks to get it brand new. Sellers of second-hand items have to make it "worthwhile" for buyers to opt for the second-hand item. That's just the reality of it.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    You are not Fender. So what you are selling is a “used parts Squier bass.”

14. Also, a modified instrument can be a red flag to buyers because they don't know the competence of the person doing the modifications.

15. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Don’t take this wrong, please.

This is a difference in perspective.

You think that you have two new basses.

The first thing that I thought when I read your original post was that was a pile of leftover parts that someone put together.

To me, a “New” bass is one that is bought at the store that no one else has owned.

Just last week, I bought a “like-new” Fender Mustang that the seller said that he had played for less than an hour total since he had purchased it. He stated that he was a guitarist that bought a short scale to figure out bass and maybe do some recording. What he figured out was that he wasn’t a bassist.

The Mustang still had all of the protective plastic film and the stickers on the pick guard, pickups, and tuner keys. It didn’t have a mark or a ding on it. It may have been “like-new”, But, it wasn’t new. He asked $280. I didn’t even haggle with him. I paid his price.

What you have is nothing like that. You bought two new basses and took the parts that you wanted and put together a bass that you wanted.

You took the parts that you didn’t want and screwed them back together. That is a bunch of lightly used parts assembled into a bass.

It’s not a new bass.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Balog, TomB, Frodolicious and 23 others like this.
  16. Hardly surprising. I see used Squiers for sale all the time. They're a dime a dozen.

DrMole likes this.
  17. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Its the end of the summer when people have just finished using their disposable income for fun or at least family vacation.

F Bass has a limited market as well like many other boutique instruments. I've played an above-average number of instruments and never even seen an F Bass in real life. Hard to know you want one when you know nothing about it.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    Kansas USA
    It is slow, but I blame the sellers first and foremost, for the price and the lack of salesmanship and detail when documenting an instruments condition and value honestly.

I do have one thing to say here too:

-----LIST PRICE MEANS NOTHING-----

Nobody pays list ever. When I see that in a listing I assume the new price was 70 percent of that number, and then cut that in half and go from there.

For example, a new bass that "lists: for 7000 sold new for somewhere between $4500-5000 and is worth about 2500 used, maybe a bit more depending on rarity in the market. Same applies for any other brand. A bass owned for 1 day or 1 year is still a used bass.

I've seen some nice Roscoe basses going for around $4000 used, mint. We all know roscoe's sell new for around $4000-$5500, and can be had on clearance for less than that. A used Roscoe made recently on average will sell for $2500-$3000, sometimes less.

My point is that people that list their stuff too high always look to me like they're just waiting for a sucker to come along, and they're usually the ones who are snappy when answering a question or potential offer. It puts the responsibility on adults with money and the internet to do half an hour of research to make sure they aren't a fool with their money.

I've also seen some comments on the "salty seller" attitude. Yes. Seen alot of that. I hate being lowballed but can't blame them for trying. You never know who might need the money for GAS.

At the end of the day the stuff doesn't sell so they don't get their money. It think it's a bit self unaware to blame the market though, like your fat lazy friend who always seems to be single because there "aren't any good guys/girls left".

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  19. And for $275 (asking), it's a deal.

I thought I was Fender... crap.

DrMole and mikewalker like this.
  20. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Agreed.

Disagree.

There's too much stuff here that's priced within sight of new.