1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else feel that the Used bass market is very slow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrisbmets, Aug 28, 2019.

1. I bought two new basses, swapped necks and then have two "used" basses in mint, unplayed, unused, un-dinged condition. One is for sale, and it is now considered "used", since I bought it and am not a store.
    The ad says "like new" BTW...Squier Jazz Bass

2. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    When Fender started the VM line for $279 or so, I bought a used '77 reissue Jazz for $100. The kid I bought it from met me in a truck stop parking lot with the bass. No case, just him dragging the bass out of a small car that had a pizza delivery sign on top. I just wanted the neck, so I didn't even look close at the whole bass, I just looked at the neck & frets, gave the kid $100 and left.

I got the bass out of my truck the next day. It was dusty, but after cleanup, it didn't have a scratch on it. The pickguard looked new, no playing wear at all I could see. I could hardly believe it. I used the neck on a Pbass body for a while, then put it back to original & tried to sell it. I found out why the kid sold it to me for $100. That's all it was worth.

Cheap new gear creates REALLY cheap used gear, and we are in the golden age of cheap new gear.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    No

cmcbass likes this.
  4. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    I understand what you are saying.

But, it’s not “like new.”

There is no such thing as a new bass like the parts bass that you are selling.

For me personally, once a bass is “upgraded,” “improved,” or “modified,” it is no longer worthy of consideration. I wouldn’t buy a bass like that. Some folks don’t mind and that is fine. I do.

You may be as skilled as John Bolin, or maybe not. I have no way of knowing.

I don’t know that.

But, I do know that some feller put together a bunch of parts and is saying that he wants to sell a “like new” bass.

I would and did pay $280 for the Fender Mustang above. It was worth it to me. I would not pay $275 for a pile of Squier parts that some feller put together. It might be worth it to some folks.

Like I said before, we just have a difference of opinion. Opinions aren’t right or wrong, they just are.

5. Swapping a neck for another one isn't exactly putting together a bunch of parts. And if it isn't brand new at the store but it's brand new, in the same condition as it was at the store, it's "LIKE new".. not NEW but LIKE new.

Go argue with Websters..Definition of LIKE NEW

6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Modified like new.

Plectrum72, uusak and flojob like this.
  7. Right, and it is pretty much stated in my ad. Any MORON could figure that out..

8. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    I’m not arguing.

I just have a different opinion than you and Webster.

And obviously, so do all the people that aren’t buying.

Not an argument, not right, not wrong, just different.

I hope you find someone soon that has the same opinion as you and feel as if they are getting a great deal. That would be a good thing for you both.

9. Well, you could go to GC and buy one of their "new" basses that they don't even maintain.
    At least mine is set up properly. That is a better deal right off the bat.

10. I'll be honest, I'm almost sad that I even commented on this one and if I was the OP I'd be really regretting having even asked by this point. Let's not forget that we're all supposed to be like minded people with a similar passion. Jeez...... :meh:

11. Unless you are selling the body and neck seperately, it clearly is not the same as at the store. Whether it is worth an as new price is for a buyer to decide. It seems for the moment they think not.

Balog, uusak and SactoBass like this.
  12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    We're talking about a hand built F Bass here not a ******* $275 POS Franken-Squier....well the OP was anyway. If you think the markets are the same for a 2008 base model Ford Fiesta with three different colored doors vs an immaculate 2008 Lotus Exige you're talking when you should be listening. Totally different mindsets and different markets. And sorry 'bama but when you're selling high end anything emotion does play. Now at this point I know you're hell bent on tearing me a new one and straightening out my Canukistan arse once and for all. But before you get going on that keep reading....then count to ten and actually think about it. It'll show if you don't.....

100% agree^^^. The entire market for high end basses is very small and selling one used is often a waiting game. Then consider that with most private sales of this kind buyer and seller are not close geographically. All the buyer has to go on are pics and and the vibe he gets from the seller. I spent over $10K this year on two "used" basses I bought without playing first. I still think it was an absolutely insane thing to do but it was the only way I was ever going to get an instrument by a certain luthier who's only built a few of these basses. He's at the end of his career and stopped taking commissions but even if he would build me one $10K wouldn't even get me in the door. It took a few months to be in a position to buy the first one and another couple for the second one. Not sure who was more lucky, the sellers or me.....

People selling stuff like this can't be under any illusion anyone will want it quickly if they want it at all. And if it does sell you'll be doing well to get half what it cost new even if it's mint. If you didn't consider this before you dropped the cash it might be an expensive lesson in how things are these days. And if you have priced it fairly be prepared to wait for the right buyer while you ignore the jerkov lowballers and clueless wankers.

mikewalker likes this.
  13. It's not at a "as new" price. You think asking $275 for an unplayed Squier Jazz Bass isn't a decent deal? And pretty much everyone buying will be asking for a lower price and I would expect that and will probably listen to offers....
    It's not a friggin' Alembic that I put a Fender neck on. It's pretty cut and dry.
    And.... it's only available locally because I won't go through the hassle to ship it...so........anyone can inspect it until the cows come home and find nothing wrong with it and if they like the way it feels in their hands, that is what it's all about. This isn't some collectors item bass that I'm trying to pull the wool over their eyes with.
    It's a Squier Jazz Bass, unplayed. With a different, but "like new", unplayed neck from another Squier Jazz Bass that fit perfectly in the pocket and plays great.
    I'm sure Timmy is going to be freaking out that it isn't original.
    I know people on TB are.
    Sorry I bothered to enter the discussion.
    I used a couple of wrong terms in my discussion.
    Then I get the typical smart-ass answers.
    Bunch of bar band hacks that ran Jeff Berlin out of here too.

TB'rs don't have to buy my bass. Go practice selling beer.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes.

15. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    Kansas USA
    It looks like you're mad at his opinions. It's not a good look. It's all opinion after all.

I think TB needs this thread, please don't get it locked by the mods for stuff like this.

16. There have been threads on Talkbass about a slow marketplace for as long as I've been using Talkbass - about fifteen years! You take the rough with the smooth. That said, I definitely think in the UK there has been a considerable slowdown in the gear sales market in the past five years, so I just keep the best pieces for myself now.

17. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    And yet you still don't have that ESP bass because you won't pony up a little extra dough. Just buy the damn thing and be over it. Now go wipe your chin....... you're embarrassing yourself.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. So out of curiosity I decided to check guitar centers used bass prices vs. new prices. I picked 3 semi random used basses and found their new counter part.

New Squire Contemporary Active Jazz Bass $399.99+tax vs. Used $274.99+tax. Which is a 32% difference from the new price.

New Fender American Professional Jazz Bass $1549.99+tax vs. Used $1089.99+tax. Which is a 29% difference from the new price.

New Ibanez SRMS800 $949.99+tax vs. Used $799.99+tax. Which is a 26% difference from the new price.

I could go further but I'm lazy and it seems like guitar center has a system of trying to keep used basses that they also sell new at about a 30% discount which makes sense. I'm sure is you look hard enough you can find better deals....But how do talkbass used basses compare? I did exactly the same thing as above and picked 3 basses listed in the classified section of TB and compared them the new price.

New Fender American Elite Professional P-Bass $1949.99+tax vs. Tb Classified price of $1675 (cost of shipping added to sellers price). Which is a 15% difference from the new price.

New Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV $599.00+tax + Hard Shell Case (129.00+tax) total $728.00+tax vs. Talkbass Classified w/ hard shell case $475.00. Which is a 35% difference from the new price.

New Ibanez SRMS805 999.99+tax vs Talkbass Classified price of 675.00. which is a 33% difference from the new price.

Looks to me that TB's are pricing their used gear almost the same as GC's used gear if not a little better. This was totally science and if anyone disagrees then they obviously don't know how to science as hard as I do

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I didn't read the whole thread, nor do I have to, because this is exactly right.

Unless you have a very rare instrument, you're not going to get top dollar for a used instrument out there. I don't plan on selling either of my Stingrays anytime soon, but if I did, anyone can see there are hundreds of used stingrays for sale elsewhere on the internet at any given time. Unless someone is willing to pay a premium for my color combo, it's going to come between people who don't care that much about color just trying to get the best deal.

I've sold a bunch of things in the last two years and all have sold relatively quickly. In fact the item I've been selling currently has been on the market the longest. Seems I can't give it away.

uusak likes this.
  20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I think your 50% of new is a little too buyer friendly. I'd wager that 65%-75% of new is more appropriate.