Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else find it anoying that...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Basroil, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Bassists who slap usually get more popularity, even if they arent very good, then great bassists who pick or fingerstlye? (Im not talking about famous people, just normal bassists.)

2. I think it is more that bassists who slap usually get more popularity from non-musicians(or atleast non-bassists), even if they aren't very good. Anywho, this is annoying, but makes me strive more to ignore the less educated and practice my instrument.

3. Jack Nicklaus once coined the phrase "Drive for show. Putt for dough."

I think it could be adapted to "Slap for show. Groove for dough." Slapping is showy and garners a lot of attention, yess. But if a player can't groove (no matter WHAT the style), he's not going to be paying the bills with his playing.

As Victor Wooten (who is much more than just a "slapper") says in song..."You can't hold no groove, if you got no pockets"

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember seeing an interview with Marcus Miller, where he said how he was playing loads of sessions, but his Mother would say she couldn't hear him! :(

Then he started slapping and she knew that was him - so his mother would listen to any record and if it had slapping on it then she could say - that's Marcus! ;)

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Slap pop probs gets more attention from non bassists is becouse its a sound which makes the bass reconisaable, if ur holding a groove in the back ground most people wont reconise what ur doin and r paying attention to the singing and lyrics or the guitar solo, but once a bass starts to do a little slap pop it becomes more noticeable and people will reconise that sound for bass and people tend to like it

6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Before I got into the bass, the bass didn't exisit to me... I didn't distinguish it from the main song... I think someone suggested it to me cos I have huge hands... I've fell in love since... and every song is now about the bass, nothing else ;P

Slapping and popping are great techniques imo... I've not yet seen anyone who over uses it.