Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else forget to sing backup during a gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vegaas, Mar 1, 2004.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    So we had a gig Saturday night. We were really on, I had a great time. I was really into it and grooving like there was no tomorrow. I hope all gigs go as well as this one.
    My only problem is that I am so into what I am playing that I forget to sing backup! :eek:
    I only backup on maybe 5 of our songs, but I either completely forget until half way through the song, or; I remember, but; I am far away from the mic and get to it about two or three words into the backup lines.
    I have sang backup in all my bands, and I always do this. Why? I dont know, as I said, I think I am so hyped when playing a gig that I totally lose myself in my basslines.
    So, does anyone else have this problem?

P.S. There was one downer to the show, and its part of the reason Milwaukee is known as a cover town.
    We opened for a very cool jam band. Well, after the headliners first set, a woman approaches their singer and tells him she wants their money back because she doesnt recognize or like any of their songs! :mad:
    I felt bad for these guys because they are talented. I really enjoyed their music. I hate when people dont give original music a chance.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Uh, do me a favor, lady and leave. Errrrggggh.

< Insert stinging Frank Zappa Line here >

I used to think it was me, but now I understand it's them.
    They go to listen to music, and don't take the time to
    listen to it. Very annoying to me.

The best thing you can do for a musician is tell her or him
    that you are a fellow musician, and really enjoyed their music.

That counts for a heck of a lot more than:
    You guys really rock man! Can you play Freebird?

3. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    I think there should be a law that lets you shoot people like that.

Sort of reminds me of a SNL skit. Two guitarist are stumming away on some campus, and some girls come up to one and says oo a musician lets sleep with him. The other musicians starts to play some simple famous song and then they girls are like oooo i know that song and run over and start kissing and hugging him. Then the other guy plays another popular song and the girls run over to him. After like 7 songs back and forth one of them plays something and the girls just pause and say, "i dont reconize that one", and the guys then is like "o its an original" and the girls are like "you suck" and go off and sleep with the other guy.

I think there should be a law that lets you shoot people like that,IN THE KNEECAPS, jeez I'm not some sick wacho.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Back to the original topic:

No. Almost never have that problem. I do on occasion get distracted by someone in the audience or some other unexpected event, but usually things go just the way they do in practice.

Do you hit all your backup cues in practice? If so, what's so different about a gig from practice that makes you forget?

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

At first I was a "cluckin' chicken" afraid to sing back-up vocals. Now, I have to do it. It's all part of the attitude of the "rock show". Sometimes, the show's even musical. :eek:

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Back shortly BEFORE I learned to play and sing at the same time I was in a band. The Lead singer heard me singing while I was setting up my gear and thought I was pretty good so he asked me to sing some backups. The guitar player that was singing backup at the time wasn't a very good singer but his timing was good. Carl, the singer thought I had a better voice than Mike, the backup singer/guitarist. So he thought both of us together would be better still.

Now the catch. I couldn't sing while playing bass yet. I didn't have the mental independence to do both at the same time. When I tried I turned into a spastic chimpanzee. So Carl suggested songs where I could come in while NOT playing.

It didn't work. If I was even holding my bass, I would inhale and open my mouth in time for the cue...and couldn't make a sound.

The first one we tried was REO Speedwagon's "Time For Me To Fly" The first time that the backup line is supposed to come in with 'time for me to flyyyyyyyy' I took a big deep breath stepped up to the mic and went " " with a confused look on my face. It was bad. I mean really bad. :bag:

But I got better...eventually. :bassist:

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    It is a strange thing. I really dont have much of a problem in practice. Every once in a while I will forget and come in late, but at a gigs I always am rushing to the mic and coming in late. Part of the problem is that I move a lot while on stage. I think if the backups came early or real frequently it would be better. However, most have long gaps between when I have to sing, and I just am so into playing my basslines and putting on a performance that I realize at the last moment I need to be getting ready to sing my backup lines and I aways away from the mic.
    Oh well, as I have stated, this has been an ongoing problem for me for a long time. I think I just need to make backups as important to me as the basslines.
    I was just curious if I am the only one absent minded enough to do this during gigs.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Another thought on this-vocalizing and playing: I sometimes hold the bass like Bill Wyman so I can see where I'm playing and sing at the same time.
    I mean, like who cares what it looks like? The song gets played and nobody looks at the bassist anyway.