Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else have a library of bass pictures on their computer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cerb, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    As of right now I have 2.86 gigs of picures in 173 folders, arranged by the maker of the bass. That's 7,182 bass pictures to G.A.S. over.

Does anyone else have anything like this, or am I just wierd?

2. Mine is not nearly as extensive but I haven't been at it long either... :cool:

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Hehe, maybe I'm just an internet junkie. All of that is only about 5 or 6 months of work.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Gilty.

It isn't too long though. I have a few on the upstairs comp too though from when I was grounded.

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I dont have a single bass picture on my computer , I guess a picture just doesnt do it for me , I dont get any satisfaction from a picture

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    It's more of a habit now than anything. I see a picture, and I save it to my computer without even thinking. I rarely even look at them :meh: . They are all on my iPod too.

7. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I save pictures as a reference library for cosmetic ideas for future custom projects. I have a folder full of pictures of burst finishes, a folder for zebrawood tops, a folder for fingerboard inlays, etc.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm very much the same way, although I don't organize them in the same way. I'm also glad I'm not the only frea... umm, player that does this. :smug:

9. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    I haven't counted them but I know I've got in the hundreds. I tend to save anything that catches my eye. I'm about at the point where I do need to catalogue them better. By manufacturer would work but I'm a Gibson nut so for that folder I'd have to subdivide it by year as well. :bassist:

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Same thing for me. It all about ideas. :D

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Just right click on the folder that contains the files and click properties. It should tell you how large the overall file size is and the amount of files/folders in it.

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I've got a bunch. I use them as desktop wallpaper and change them every few days. Nothin like a good lookin' bass! :D

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have (had) a few! Actually I just deleted a bunch of them. I also "collect" pics of vintage synthesizers, since I can't really afford to collect the real things. ;)

14. I sometimes make alot of different CNC body programs and use good high-res pics of basses as templates. So yes, I have an extensive library.

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've got a few. Usually I save them if they have a finish that I like or give me an idea for a bass I'd like to have designed.

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I save any and all pictures of interesting lefty basses that come up on ebay, plus any basses that filter through my own set. I must have close to a thousand pics by now; I try to categorize them by make, model and year of manufacture. Maybe one day I'll do a lefty bass book......

17. I've got a small assembly of pictures of basses I hope to one day own. Made the list years ago though. It should be much bigger.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got a collection of Elrick pics I've found on the web, just because the Elrick site has very few and there's a lot of really unique ones out there- most of them come from online bass shops, and I figured if I don't save they might take them off when they sell.

Anyone want to see an Elrick singlecut seven-string? :)

19. Yep, me too, mainly pictures of Rickenbackers and oddball basses that I either:

a) would love to own, or
    b) know to be absolute rubbish but the style is soooo cool

And usually a good smattering of *real* and *fake* models for comparison.