1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone else here use the slapring?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JimmyTheSaint, Mar 10, 2008.

1. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    Does anyone else here use the slapring?

2. nope but it looks like a fun toy. i have thought about getting one.

3. pondus

pondus

Mar 28, 2006
    If art is partially about avoiding the cliches, don't say "In the house", don't start your novel with "It was a dark and stormy night"..... and don't slap your bass. ;)

4. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    Get one so that we can swap ideas about technique.

5. perhaps I shall hah

6. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    This?

7. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    A what now?
    nvm found it

http://www.slapring.de/en/productinfo/slapring/index.php

looks fun but i have doubts about double thumbing with it.

"Quite a few bassists got blisters when they did slapping, others used Gaffa - both of which is not that great. So, a thing called "SLAPRING®" is just what you need."
    Price of progression my friend, price of progression :smug:

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
  9. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Well bruce willis has one so I'm sold...

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I think I want one because I play funk type stuff and I can't keep timing with slaps and i think it has to do with not having enough meat on my bones so the added weight might help. I also lose alot of fundamental when I slap... perhaps a bit too much. But let me guess It probably costs $50... I'll take it for that if I also get the girl

11. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    100000 bass players here, and after a year I'm the only one who uses a slapring?

12. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, it doesn't look atractive to me... at all.

13. Thegian

Thegian

Aug 14, 2008
    Wow ... thats my school, wasnt really expecting that.

And that IS very good marketing, could definitely see me buying a new strap. I agree with the "price of progression" thing though, it shouldn't happen anyway unless youve got a horrible technique like Flea for example.

14. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Love it.

I don't see the point to the slapring, seeing how I think using your thumb sounds better anyway. But then again, I don't really slap that much at all anymore. :eyebrow:

15. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    Words of a hater, no? I mean, playing in any of the major or minor keys is also a cliche--or even playing notes at all!

In any case, after 2 1/2 years, no one else out of 100,000 bassists here uses the slapring?

16. jg919

jg919

Jul 7, 2010
    NSW Australia
    Hi!
    I use a slap-ring I made for my thumb, primarily for Mark-King inspired bass licks & when i play disco-esqe lines, if you will.
    I also made one for my index finger, which I use on my upright bass, to counteract the slap of the string on the fingerboard - it goes 'pluck, choke, slap-slap', and I get a GREAT 'tak-a-ba-ba, tak-a-ba-ba' like rhythm going on in 4/4. Triplets are great too, when I take off the 2nd slap.
    ...All in all, yes! I use them haha - never seen one available, so I suggest making your own!
    JOHN

17. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    What's next - the pop tip?

18. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    This. People love to see things more complicated than they actually are.

19. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    Interesting idea on that home made job. It's all about getting the sound you want, right?

But that's a negatory from me on the pop tip: one benefit I get from the slapring (the Gerald Reese brand) is that it raises the amplitude of my slaps on the E and A closer to that of my pops on the G. That kind of non-stompbox compression works well with my envelope filter.

Also, you can't beat the slapring for the ease of its double-thumbing capability.

20. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Why not just wear a wide ring on your thumb? Then it would have more than one use. I would think Tungsten might sound good. Plus then you don't have something as cumbersome as that slapring covering most of the length of your ring.