Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone else miss the goliath II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 11, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'll admit it, i miss the old swr goliath II (2)

yeah, the eden xlt has more bass and low mids and i spent a long time with a 210 xlt

and of course epifani has become the next best greatest thing

alas, (i sold my goliath II to finance some smaller cabs, hey the damn thing was heavy and i was poor)

but ya know, i still miss "that" sound, boy i miss it.

i tried to like the goliath III but,........god those things are UGLY!

What the heck were they thinking when they changed the grilles on their cabinets?

does anyone else besides me still think that the old style was the baddest look ever?

come to think of it, their new amps are UGLY too....

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bump because i like seeing my stuff at the top of the list
    lol

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Okay...I'll bite...my old Goliath II is really somebody else's Goliath II...only I still have it and he doesn't.

You can see it at last Saturday's gig...it's about 1/2 way down the page...need to scroll a bit.

http://www.bluzharp.com/nadoes/

Tornadobass

4. I miss SWR Engineering period.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i recently spoke with a gent who i met at Rudy's today, and while we were discussing cabs, he mentioned how he still has and loves his single Goliath cab, even tho he now owns a pair of Epifani 1x12 cabs.

6. geez..I for one don't miss mine at all. A crappy sound from my brand new Goliath II. Nasty spitting whizzer, drivers that bottomed out regularily...bleah. Probably wasn't suited to my playing (or something) 'cause so many seemed to dig 'em; good for a quick sale! Mine started to crackle when pushed at all, this shortly after my purchase. Good riddance. Sorry!
    :p

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Good news for Donne and other SWR Engineering fans.Rumor has it that the 5 year no competition clause that Steve Rabe agreed to when he sold SWR is just about up and he might be getting back in the bass amp business.Don't hold me to that though,that's just what I heard.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I do kinda miss mine. I ran it with an Ampeg V-4b. It wasn't a bad rig for raunchy old blues. But I sure couldn't drive it very hard.

The guy that bought it just LOVES it. Lucky him as I wouldn't really want it back.

9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Don't miss mine at all!! There are much better cabs built today.