1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone else play backwards-Anchoring the pinky, not the thumb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tekhna, May 22, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have been anchoring my thumb much less lately, and resting my pinky on the G side of my p-pickup. It is feeling much more natural to me, plus I like the sound more using my thumb, pointer and middle fingers instead of pointer, middle, ring.
    I'll post a picture of how I play later in case I didn't make any sense here.

2. I get what you're doing -- it's similar to my own technique -- but I don't see why you'd anchor.

3. a guy I've been taking lessons from for about a month now does this when he slaps. he can get some killer speed up, but he only uses his first 2 fingers when playing fingerstyle too....says he started slapping like that after seeing some guy in a clinic do it. he's got me putting my thumb and first two through a hair scrunchy to keep mine tight. seems to be working so far.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, when i play, i use all my 5 fingers and never anchor anything, not even when i slap ;)

5. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    tekhna...are you a converted banjo player?
    ;)

6. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I do both, depending on the song. I'm a converted guitar player, so I have a lot of wierd technique.