Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else play backwards-Anchoring the pinky, not the thumb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tekhna, May 22, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have been anchoring my thumb much less lately, and resting my pinky on the G side of my p-pickup. It is feeling much more natural to me, plus I like the sound more using my thumb, pointer and middle fingers instead of pointer, middle, ring.
    I'll post a picture of how I play later in case I didn't make any sense here.

2. I get what you're doing -- it's similar to my own technique -- but I don't see why you'd anchor.

3. a guy I've been taking lessons from for about a month now does this when he slaps. he can get some killer speed up, but he only uses his first 2 fingers when playing fingerstyle too....says he started slapping like that after seeing some guy in a clinic do it. he's got me putting my thumb and first two through a hair scrunchy to keep mine tight. seems to be working so far.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, when i play, i use all my 5 fingers and never anchor anything, not even when i slap ;)

5. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    tekhna...are you a converted banjo player?
    ;)

6. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I do both, depending on the song. I'm a converted guitar player, so I have a lot of wierd technique.