1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone else split their signal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BullCityBass, Apr 27, 2006.

1. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I have been messing around lately looking for a great tone and found an interesting setup that I like. I was wondering if anyone else is doing anything crazy like this or is it just me...

first my gear, I have an Alembic F1-X, Radial J48 DI, a MOTU Traveler and a QSC plx 2402.

I love the sound I get out of the Alembic but I have always been a tinkerer...

so now what I am doing is running my warwick into the J48 DI, taking the inst. thru and running it right back into the input of the Alembic. I am then taking the Low-pass output from the Alembic (with the x-over set to 800Hz) and running that into my MOTU traveler so I am using my Alembic for lows only. Then I am taking the DI output from the J48 and running it right into my MOTU full signal.

So now my sound consists of the warm tubey lows coming out of my Alembic and full signal SS tone coming out of my J48 DI and mixing them together in the MOTU and I really like what I am getting.

I am just wondering if I am crazy or is anyone else splitting their signal to get a different sound???

Chris

2. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Well, you went a little farther than I have, LOL, but I do split my signal between my Pod XT Live and a V-Amp Pro, just so I can play around with different combinations of tones. I was using the V-amp thru the Pod effects loop, but wanted to have each output independant of the other.
    As an experiment, I tried running the mixer 5 signals...... Direct, from the bass.....the Pod sound, the V-Amp sound, and 2 mic'd sounds, one a Beta sm52, and the other a RE20. (the amp saw a blend of both the Pod and V-Amp thru a tiny mixer). I can't say it was really necessary, but boy, did we have some fun!
    It's all about having fun and playing with our hard earned toys, right?!?
    The hilarious part was that at the end of the day..... the engineer only used the direct and Pod sounds to any degree, but did throw the RE20 underneath it for a fair chunk.
    But what the heck, right? you don't know until you try.

3. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    I split my signal via a TC Chorus pedal then the one signal goes into a compressor, a volumen pedal and to an Sound City 120 with an old Park cab with an 18".

The other signal goes to my pedalboard with about ten pedals and to a Peavy MK III with a Peavy cab with a 15" an two 8".

That way I can ad any kombination of efx without loosing the bottom.

4. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    so my setup is pretty tame in comparison... The uncolored sound coming from my Radial DI was too clean for me so mixing the two made me a happy camper.

I always read in Bass Player pros who run their signal in a few different directions, just didnt know how many people around here actually do...

chris