1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone else suffer from "F.T.S.?"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Sep 26, 2008.

1. A few days or so...

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Every couple of weeks.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. A few months.

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Once a year.

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Never.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Frequent Tinkering Syndrome.

I always seem to be tinkering with my string height, pickup height, truss rod adjustment, intonation, etc.
    I just can't seem to leave my basses alone.
    I'll be happy for a couple of weeks and then I start tinkering again.
    I only have one bass that I hardly ever mess with and I've been playing it for 15 years.
    Maybe I should of become a bass tech.

2. Lately I've really been messing with my tone and set-up. I could see how it would be easy to get addicted to tinkering. It seems like I'm always curious as to what an adjustment here or tweek there will do to the feel and tone.

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I do like every month or so. But I'm very scared of the truss rod, because you can mess your bass up for good with that...

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I am always messing with my setup! I am king of FTS!

I always think: "That's pretty good action, but I can do better." Then it turns out to be: "Nope. I can't get it better." Then I try it again later.

5. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I was afraid to mess with the truss rod for a long time, now it's no different to me then adjusting the pickups. I just make sure I only make slight adjustments, never turning the nut more then a 1/4 turn per adjustment. I usually wait a day before I'll adjust it another 1/4 turn if I think it still needs it.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I almost never make any adjustments to my basses. They are really very good and stable. My Modulus' are extremely stable as well.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my stingray used to get tinkered with every other week.

on my p-bass, it took me awhile to get it to where it's perfect. the action, the intonation, the string height, pickup height, radius, etc etc. now that i have everything perfect and know how it feels, if something is off due to the weather or whatever, i adjust it. no need to over do things. it's a very stable instrument.

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    My bass was excellently setup when I bought it, and I have no desire to upset my setup. I've tweaked the truss rod once for a little more relief, and that's it.

My guitars have all been seriously tweaked, but then they have all had poorly done nuts. String height always too high.

I've come to the conclusion that tweaking is the main excuse for not practicing, so I've stopped doing it.

9. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I sometimes rock my pickups, or adjust my action, but I never fiddle w/ the truss rods -
    I have enough problems keeping my SH#@ in tune. I would recomend letting a pro make those adjustments - or at least learn what you are doing and why. My daily bass is a neck thru - which is really nice - I am not much for bolt ons.