1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone else use a guitar cab (and love it?)???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle Hanky, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I use a 1973 Peavey Century 120 into a 1976 Kustom 4x12 loaded with JBLs, and I love the sound. I know the head only kicks out 60 or so watts in this setup, but it seems to be plenty durn loud to me and everyone else who hears it. I also dig the deep, punchy lows I can dial in.

Does anyone else have a similar setup? Am I doing myself some sort of grand disservice???

Jefenator and 10cc like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    60 watts, 4 speakers: 15 watts a speaker. Should be fine. Maybe add an HPF.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Enjoy!

Jefenator and Uncle Hanky like this.
  3. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I used a Sunn Beta 202 2x12" (100 watts) for a bunch of years way back before I got my first Ampeg cab.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  4. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I kinda feel like the 12s give more definition and punch to the lower registers (I play a five string tuned to Bb standard and a four-banger in the same).

5. Some bass cabinets are fine for guitar, some are not
    Some guitar drivers are fine for bass, and some were even designed for bass originally, like Celestion's Heritage, which I believe Hendrix made popular for guitar players.

One of the things that bugs me is most drivers won't go over 5 kHz, but yet we have EQs that can bump in the 7 kHz or higher...

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  6. I had the whole stereo split ala the "Ric-o-Sound" from my Yamaha BBN4 and Aria SB basses at one point-

At The Rig's largest, I had a custom 212 open back cab with a pair of Eminence Legend 125s running at 16 ohms) for the bridge PUP, while the neck PUP ran through an SWR 410 and 118. That bridge channel would just growl like crazy (the "preamp" was a SansAmp GT-2 pedal, set for "center/high gain/tweed" and all controls at 12 o'clock.)

The neck PUP channel went to a Trace Elliot (or Ampeg, depending on my "mood") preamp. Both channels got "leveled" by a modified (as in "modified to not suck!") Alesis 3630 rack compressor, and finally a pair of Behringer 5 band Parametric EQs (one for each channel), which drove my (still in use) SWR ST-800 power amp, running about 400 Watts to the 410/118 combo, and much less than the 8 ohm rated to the 16 ohm "top end" 212.

The pedal board at that point was dual channel as well, with way too many pedals!

The "idea" of that rig still resonates with me... I miss it.

zon6c-f and Uncle Hanky like this.
  7. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    The other day I experimented with my small Yamaha THRC112 1x12 sealed/closed back guitar cabinet that I loaded with an Eminence Swamp Thang guitar speaker and lined with polyfill. I plugged my Fender Rumble 500 head into it and it actually sounds killer with a bass boost on the EQ (at home practice levels). Surprisingly full sounding with my Jazz and P basses, and really complimented my Bass VI very nicely. Since the internal volume of the cabinet is about one cubic foot, maybe a hair larger, and it already has the polyfill, I might throw an Eminence Beta 12A-2 in the cabinet so I have a 28 pound bass cab for practice and small, drummer-less gigs.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  8. bklee

bklee Supporting Member

I had a Peavey Classic 6X10 guitar amp that I converted for bass by replacing the speakers with Carvin neos and having Chris Barnett (great tech!) change a few things in the amp to make it more bass-friendly. The drawback was I enclosed the speakers and actually had to use two 8" speakers at the top because I couldn't enclose the amplifier itself since it protruded down into the cabinet. That amp uses an unusual hybrid design--SS pre-amp and tube output stage. I must say, considering the limitations of my carpentry it sounds very good. It has rich mids and highs. The lows flex the cabinet pretty hard (again, my lousy carpentry). It also weighs a lot. It resides in the studio.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  9. Used to ocassionally stack a 4-12 guit cab stop my Sunn 1-18vh for outdoor gigs
    Ultimate prog tone Could hear 4-12 and feel folded horn Ear candy

A 4-12 bass cab wouldn’t have distorted at lower frequencies as the guit cab did

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  10. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    20 years ago I thought that I needed to have an 8x10 to pair with my SVT. I sold my Peavey 412F cabinet to help pay for it. I still think about how great the 412F cab was, and the 810 was sold off 15 years ago.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  11. MuffledBoomy

MuffledBoomy

Apr 19, 2017
    Tulsa
    None
    No, but I use guitar amps (with bass cabs) and love them! I have friends who use 4×12"s and sound great.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  12. 10cc

10cc SUSPENDED

Oct 28, 2013
    I've used many 412's with bass heads and guitar heads. Love it!
    This is a sunn head and Ampeg 412

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Did you play that rig live? How did it connect to FOH?

I played numerous guitar heads, and at one time I experimented with a guitar combo added to my bass rig.
    I had a fuzz pedal that took all the lows, I ran one signal into the fuzz and from there to the guitar amp and a clean signal to the bass rig. It sounded quite tasty, but I dismissed that whole Idea. I am not a rockstar and I had several long discussions with FOH people before that wanted to use a DI in front of my amp while I wanted to have my cab miced - I just ran the scenario through my head where I enter this discussion, wanting a DI signal and two mics for the bass.

basscapes and Uncle Hanky like this.
  14. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    This video is a little hokey, and doesn't cover a whole lot of bases (har!), but it's still interesting.

15. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    No
    I've never played through a guitar cabinet that sounded anywhere near as good as a quality bass cabinet

Mvilmany and Uncle Hanky like this.
  16. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I have noticed there seems to be more inter-compatibility [between guitar & bass] with old school tube amps.
    I've come to strongly favor a tube amp for most of the things I do. I've been looking for a nice, simple small cabinet without any sort of tweeter or crossover. They're not nonexistent in the bass world but they do seem pretty few & far between. Might have to expand my search parameters and see what's out there in the guitar realm.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  17. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Ah, but have you tried a huge old vintage guitar cab like mine? One loaded with state of the art speakers?

18. I gigged a 100W tube guitar head into 2 x guitar 412s for about many years. Still have the head and one cab but it hasn't left the house for about 20 years.

It had loads of mids and was loud as hell but the bass was seriously lacking and I definitely didn't love it.

I bought it at a time when the distinction between bass and guitar rigs was far less defined (in the UK). Marshall did make a bass version of their guitar amps and cabs but they were way out of my price range.

The main criteria was could it run all night with the volume at 100% without blowing speakers? You would need to run it like that to have even a slim chance of keeping up with a guitarist because they had either the insanely loud Vox AC30 or the same stack as you!

No, but I do have a state of the art speakers in state of the art lightweight cabs and have absolutely no desire to go back to "huge" cabs.

If you are happy schlepping a huge cab about then your back and joints must be in far better condition than mine.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  19. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Hahaha! I'm in my mid-30s and am not being immodest when I say that I am very, very strong. So I'll enjoy my enormous vintage equipment as long as I can! ;)

delta7fred likes this.
  20. Yea, enjoy it while you can.

I've been gigging for 50 years this year and my heavy gear is long gone (or stays home).

Uncle Hanky likes this.