Does anyone else..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Does anyone else watch a bass demo/review on YouTube and half way through you can tell like "This person is not a bassist" and because they arent, the review tells you nothing except the specs. Their lack of skill doesnt even let you get a good feel for what the bass sounds like. Tell me im not the only one who notices this as another thing bass players go through

2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Sometimes I actually prefer that. If the player is really accomplished, the bass is going to sound like them a lot more. And that can get pretty far away from the way I'm going to sound on it. As a crappy player with no musical talent myself, sometimes it's best that I hear what the bass sounds like in the hands of another crappy player with no musical talent. That's not a hard and fast rule, of course, but just sometimes that can be a good thing.

Also, I tend to look for more functional items in a bass, like ergonomics. For example, reviews where the reviewer demonstrates the balance of an instrument are extremely rare, if practically non-existent. Even on reviews of enormously expensive boutiques, there is frequently zero mention of the balance. I've seen I don't know how many reviews where there's evidence that the player is subconsciously struggling with neck dive on an exotic boutique bass costing 10 large or more, but the guy keeps going slapping it for 10 minutes with the "Baseball Bat" grip on the neck. Or his forearm pushing down on the body, etc. I just want the guy to put it on his leg in playing position and let go. For 10 grand, the reviewer could at least perform that one simple test. Then put it on the strap and do the same test. Takes maybe 1 or 2 minutes out of the review.

Another functional item is the electronics, but it's sufficient to me to show the limits. Bass all the way up/all the way down, treble full up/full down, for each pickup etc. Don't spend 10 minutes on "here's my favorite setting, with the treble on 5 and the bass on 7". I don't want to hear someone else's preferences, I just want to hear what the bass is capable of, stop-to-stop.

So the basic idea here is really really extensive reviews of an instrument get less and less useful the longer and more detailed they are. Strange but true - the longer it goes on with the reviewer's favorite settings and playing style, etc., the further it's likely to get from what I'm going to do with it.

I just want to see and hear the bass. Not the player...

But that's just my personal preference when it comes to reviews. Others may prefer something else, but I've found the most valuable reviews to be just the most basic meat-n-potatoes here's the bass and its features, etc.

L

3. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I can't say that bothers me because you still get to hear the bass. The ones I don't like are the ones that are about a bass but all the sounds are various shades of overdrive/distortion, you can't really tell what the bass sounds like at all from those.

4. Interesting perspective. I respect it.

JMacBass65 and MynameisMe like this.
  5. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

For me, as soon as they start "slappin' da bass", I'm gone. I'm a slapless, tapless root thumper.

gcb, JMacBass65, Chrome Dome and 13 others like this.
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    As soon as I see a pick strumming 1/8th notes, I move on. The issue is that anyone can start up a youtube channel and post their stuff up like it matters. I definitely don't just browse joe blow's bass videos, I stick with seasoned players, and people who don't waste tons of time rambling on in videos. The internet is a wasteland of mediocrity, just like humanity. :D

7. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I'm with you! If someone plays badly on a demo how do you know it's not the bass that's hard to play? Yes I know that works the other way but it's harder to play a good bass badly than visa versa.
    A good player will show off the nuances of an instrument, have better insights and maybe inspire your own playing. I rather pick up riffs from great demos than poor tutorials. I note a lot of players let rip when they're trying to sell a bass. More than in tutorials where they already got your money.

GodPlayedBass likes this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Each individual rises to their own level of incompetence.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don’t watch a lot of demos/reviews but yea, a certain percentage seem like, “guitar guy with tiny fingers and dainty touch turns all the knobs and still basically sounds the same..just a little more tinny or less tinny”

JMacBass65 and J_Bass like this.
  10. Yes, I do that all the time.

I read that someone sometimes prefers that.

Personally, I can't stand a badly played bass in a sound sample - because I truly cannot get an idea of how it sounds when they're freakin' hammering away with the right hand, half plucking half hitting it, pulling it out of tune by playing too hard, all on the wrong part of the string to get decent to, while also fretting like their life depends on it to the point where it goes out of tune or buzzes.

Ugh

JMacBass65 likes this.
  11. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I remember when Davie504 first started posting vids and I thought wow, where in the world did this guy come from and blown away by his playing. Now I watch his vids and wish he’d shut up and play SOMETHING, ANYTHING.:laugh:

J_Bass and MynameisMe like this.
  12. I love when it's a 5 string and they only noodle on the upper register

BassJeesus and Samatza like this.
  13. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Some examples please?

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Listen to three youTubes reviewing the same bass and they sound completely different. What's that tell you?

Absolutely nothing. Listening to videos to hear the sound of a bass is a waste of time. Having someone run through the specs of the bass is also a waste of time. I can Google and read just fine.

DrMole and ajkula66 like this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Demos mean nothing unless you know exactly what the amp they're using does to the sound.
    I bought a bass after watching a demo of it that made it sound VERY aggressive, but when I got it here it sounded less aggressive than the bass I already owned.
    The demo player insisted that it's the sound of the bass, but the Pinnick pre-amp being used is FAR from a transparent pre-amp!

Beej and BassJeesus like this.
  16. Whale guy

Whale guy

Jul 12, 2018
    Absolutely. And I'm with Beej, the minute I see a pick, I'm out.

On a different note, I'm amazed at how some people can play amazing stuff with really bad technique. I recently saw a video of Kinga Glyk playing a nice solo, but her fretting pinky was curled up tight and completely off of the fingerboard the whole time. She could play circles around me while on a washtub bass.

17. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Nah, I’m not that judgy of other musicians. And when it comes to YouTube, my policy is “ya get what ya get and ya don’t get upset.”

scuzzy likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    So this is a stupid answer, so what, I'm stupid, so there.

I'd wish for a less advanced bassist on an online review. Why? Because a really talented slap or jazz player can make a decent bass sound really great on a YouTube video review. That's the point, right? I'd love to see some 1-2 year player fingering opens, 1,2,3,4,5... frets same force, same technique, then hit a couple thumbs, then cross a couple harmonics, especially in the lesser harmonics, I know the 12 octave will sound fine, gimme the 2nd fret. Then clack with a pick on some of the same frets. Let me know what the bass sounds like when it is played instead of showing me how good you are at playing bass. Case in point, how many Glarry videos out there sound pretty good? It's just me. But I'd wish for a player to try out the bass the way I would play it in a store, deliberately and slowly so I can hear what I like and don't like.

DrMole, J_Bass and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Meh... if their playing sucks, I move on. I don’t care if they’re a “bassist” or not.

20. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Ed Friedland "the Bass Whisperer" has always been an excellent reviewer, IMO. If I'm interested in a bass, I usually do a search on him and see if he's done a review of it.

L

Copperhead, JMacBass65, Mili and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021