Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone else's SVP rattle like a biatch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 8, 2004.

1. I've started playing bass again, and my preamp keeps on pissing me off and reminding me of how much I think it sucks. Sure, it sounds great, but it makes a ton of noise (buzz, and yes, I'm positive it's the preamp), and now I think I can blame another problem on it: Rattle! I've found out what part of my rack is causing the rattle, and yep, it's the SVP! It seems to resonate most at C and its overtones, and that pisses me off as I like that note alot.

Why can't the SVP just do it's job and sound pretty, without the extra bull****?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Solution: a piece of foam between your cab and rack . . .

3. :D classic.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a new svp and it has a bad buzz. I just changed tubes and no difference. The pre has a slight vibration when I turn it on. The buzz is so loud that it would overtake a ba112.

It has a great tone otherwise. Its going back and I wouldnt recomend one.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

No problems with mine. Bought it used from boogiebass (thanks, bb!), who had retubed it according to Lord Valve's recommendation.

OTOH, my SVT-3Pro can be a bit noisy during warmup. I haven't retubed it yet (not enough noise to bother).

6. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I had one and I also noticed that during the warm up you could feel a slight vibration and hear some hum. It lessened once the unit was warmed up. I also noticed some noise through the horn in my SWR cabinets, nothing like everyone else described but noticeable. When one tube became microphonic and started to make a high pitched whistling noise I retubed it with NOS Rca tubes and that cut the noise down substantially. I now have the 4pro and it is totally quiet. What makes these SVP preamps noisy like this?

7. I think it has something to do with how much they suck. Yea, that's it. Who wants one for a sansamp? (the svp does sound pretty good though, I never denied that.)

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Mine's pretty quite but I went through a lot to get it that way. I'd go with the SVP-CL if I ever need a new preamp.

9. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    What did you have to do to quiet it down?

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Let me get this straight... you hate the pre amp because it rattles from physical vibration while sitting on top of your speaker? Thats pretty silly. Everything in my rack rattles when it sits on top of my speakers and thats why I dont put it there. :rolleyes:

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Nope! Plug it in, turn it on, turn up the power amp, run and get ear plugs because the buzzzzz is so loud. Not hiss or crackle but buzz and hum. I think the other guys svp rattles when he plays.

12. Mine buzzes for about 2 seconds after powerup, after that it's a great sounding and noiseless preamp.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Oh Im confused. I thought we were talking about physical vibration. Ive heard about the (electrical) buzz in these units but I didnt think that was what he mentioned. Sorry... :bag:

14. Well, it does both. I always knew that it buzzed a ton, and I was just reflecting that, but I just now narrowed down the rattling to the SVP in my rack.

15. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    It does that two, not rattle but a slight vibration that "feels" like the "tone" of the buzz.