Does Anyone Ever Practice With A Drummer Only?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 1, 2001.

1. yesterday I had a jam with the drummer of my originals band, and for the first time in ages actually enjoyed a rehearsal situation- I feel a lot better about my playing too- and chordal/tapping/effects bass ideas seem to sound good enough without a guitar being there......:)
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My Korg ToneWorks Pandora's box has about 748,000 rhythm patterns ;) . It's a personal practice tool. I find it's really healthy, creatively, to just dial up a rhythm pattern, set it to the bpm's I want and throw a bassline over it out of the blue.
  3. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Playing without a guitarist allows you to stretch out a little bit with rhythms and groove. You don't have to worry about playing in the same key as the drummer! Sometimes when playing with a guitarist and drummer, I'll start a groove, but the guitarist just plays whatever he wants. It kind of grinds everything to a halt.

But anyway, playing with just a drummer is great! Just make sure you get a good drummer: one that actually LISTENS to you......
  4. words that ring very true......very true indeed.......
    a guitarist who'll pick up on what the bassist is playing and complement it- is that the holy grail?

I find that playing to a drum machine is good for working on timing, but a bit monotonous after a while, and a drum machine won't play off stuff you come up with, and change dynamics if you play different sections (unless you program it to).
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The drummer from my band and I are generally the first two to show at rehearsals, followed usually by the percussionists (congas and timbales). We usually get a pretty cool groove going by the time the keyboardist and guitarist get there and get plugged in. Lotsa fun, and some cool stuff as evolved out of it. Also, the drummer and myself are going to start working on the Lincoln Goines/Robby Ameen book "Funkifying The Clave" as soon as we get through recording and mixing our CD. Should be fun :D.

Oh yeah, and like Rick, I practice with either the Korg PX3B or my Boss DR-5 all the time at home by myself, so I'm always working to a groove.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been so lucky. For quite a while I was playing regularly with a guitar player that toured with Cindy Lauper and then with Scandal (Patty Smyth). He *was* a groove! All by himself. Combined with the rest of the band, it was truly amazing.

Too bad we're not playing together anymore :(
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i definitely practice alone with our drummer. that is the BEST way to make sure that we "tie the knot" so to speak.

most of the times i lead rehersals anyway, and most of the problem spots or wrinkles in our practices tend to revolve around the drummer, so us practicing together is the best possible solution to that issue.

besides, it sounds really good when just the 2 of us play. when we can make the songs groove and sing musically just the two of us, then we know that we are playing the songs tight.

i can't recommend practicing with the drummer alone highly enough - the most productive practice i've ever had.
  8. halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I bought a Boss DR-770 drum machine and I play along with it. I love it because I can practice all kinds of different styles of music. It has loops of funk, reggae, blues, samba, rock, pop and every other kind of beat you can think of. I agree that it can get a little monotonous because it does not respond to dynamics, but it does have a pedal (10$ extra) that you step on to get a fill and a variation plus you can easily dial up a whole different beat in a microsecond. You can also program your own beats and rhythms for entire songs as well. I highly recommend it especially if you aren't in a band and do not have timely access to a talented drummer. I find that if I practice with it I am more than ready for those times I get to jam with a real drummer. My time is definitely better and it's fun.

9. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah man, I love to jam with just my drummer, or just my guitar player, or just my vocalist. It really helps to write, cause instead of getting comments from four people while trying to write in front of them, it is only one on one. It also really helps to expand the styles of writing with which I can use. We always try to mix things up, as to not sound repetative. None the less, when you write in the same environment all the time, the songs sometimes start to sound similar. So it is kind of like tossing a flat salad and bringing it to life.
  10. usally i am am the first one at practice and it is at my drummers house so usally i will practive ith him for like 2 hours before actual practice and i usally find beter ways to throw in fills and **** like that!! but my drummer is pretty cool because he will go out of his way to make it sound extra good all the time!! he's only 16 to and he is so damn good!! been playing since he was 6!! odd!!
  11. Every now & then at reahearsals, or before the entire band shows up, the drummer'll be screwing around and I'll throw a little something over it. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I've noticed that so far I've only really had one successful session like that, where we've kept what we played.
    Ah well. I tend to just screw around on my bass when I'm at home or trying one out in the shop or whatever.
    I'm sure my post would be a lot easier to understand (to myself, at least... :p) if I weren't so friggin' sleepy.
  12. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    From time to time, my drummer and I pratice alone.
    But never more than an hour. We get bored (a lot) passed that time.
  13. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I haven't had a drum and bass session for a while, but my band's drummer and I used to jam together at least once a week. I agree that it can sometimes be hard to stay interested, but you need to try and make it more interesting - we wrote about five songs from just playing together, and eventually brought in a guitar player from outside our normal band. But you know what happens when you add a guitarist... :(
  14. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I can only that I'm quite jealous after reading this thread. Since I don't really make a career out of music yet, and my career sometimes eats up more time than I like to even think about, I'm stuck bouncing around drummers just to try and practice normally with everyone in our band. I would love to be able to do one-on-one's with a drummer, I've noticed that if I slack on playing with a metronome and without a good drummer, I tend to lose my timing a little. Guess I need to buy a drum machine. It should be a little better than the annoying tick of my met...
  15. I used to practice regularly with my band's old drummer, who spent a year at PIT in London. It was fun and the experience taught me a lot. Unfortunately the present guy cannot practice loudly in his own house and we can't afford the extra time/money for more rehearsals.
  16. Drums and bass seem to go so well together. Without the guitarist screwing you up, you can just lay down some grooves and just spontaniously jam! It's really fun!
  17. i love jammin with just drummers i ont really enjoy jamming with guitar players cause i like to move around the finger board a lot and mess around and change rhythms to trick the drummer and i think it sounds cooler with out the guitar player wankin!!
  18. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    My drummer and I do it all the time. It's the only chance we get to go totally nuts and do everything to excess. You kinda have to behave a bit with the whole band around.
  19. I am glad that I found this thread because I have just started to practicing with a drummer. Not that I do it often, 3 times in a 4 months period.

I have to agree, especially with John Turner, that those few times have been the most productive practices I have had. I had heard practicing with others will help you learn faster and not get caught in a rut.

I have only been learning as a hobbyist but practicing with a drummer is changing my mind about practicing with others.

Side note:
    Gards comment about him and the drummer starting a groove and everyone else just comes in when they get there reminds me of a concert that I worked. It was a Brian Adams concert and the bass player came out to warm up, then the drummer showed, then the keyboardist and so on. What started as a warm up for one turned into a great jam for the band.