Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone experience this while you're sleeping?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, May 2, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys. I've been wanting to ask this question for quite some time, it's been bothering me alot.

Have you guys ever

a)have a REALLY bad nightmare you're conscious..awake but you just can't open your eyes and you feel like you're being pressed on real hard and something is just preventing you from opening your eyes..

b)you're conscious..knowing that you're in bed, etc and you're being pressed on like something's lying on you and you just can't open your eyes..and you're just trying so hard to open it..like a massive struggle and then you finally manage to open your eyes.<--not having any nightmare..just struggling to open your eyes and stuff...but youre awake..only with your eyes shut and feeling really sleepy which contributes in the "struggling" part.

I get both of these alot...well not alot, alot..but it happens from time to time...and most people I talk to doesn't experience this..and its freaking me out.

Yesterday was probably the worst experience I've got. I was sleeping..and then suddenly there was a real BUZZZZZ in my ears and I go "oh sh!t not again"(which shows that I'm conscious..extremely sleepy but conscious at the same time..you know what I mean) and I fought really hard to open my eyes..finally did..and when I did I just felt extremely sleepy like I have to shut my eyes..and when I do...INSTANTLY....BUZZZZZ...yup again..in my ears..and another struggle. And guess what it happens for the THIRD time. I've experienced alot but not the BUZZING..well probably once or twice or even thrice but I've never experienced this three times in a row in a single night. And you know what's freaky. The third time, I hear something said "You can do better than that" while I was fighting to open my eyes. I really am conscious and knowing whats going on, trying to open my eyes..I finally did, uttered some prayers and it was gone. Just talked to my parents about it and they said its called Incubus or something like that. They've never experienced it and I think most if not everybody I talked to regarding this has said theyve not experienced this before.

I'm slightly freaked out..I'm quite pissed actually..."You can do better than that"? What was that about! Gimme some peace will ya!

Maybe it has got something to do with me being born on Friday the 13th...I don't know, man...have you guys ever experienced this..any discussion related to this is fine..Sorry to blabber

2. sounds a bit like sleep paralysis. i experienced it as a child. check out this site.
    screwed up stuff, man. hope all is well with you.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You'll have to ask them.
    :D

Terrible joke, sorry. Hope you get better.

4. I used to have this problem I was terrified of the dark, I'm still kinda frightened...but not nearly as bad.

It gets better as you get older.

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Haha good one. No, its okay. I'm just a little freaked out thats all and it doesn't help that I've just watched "The Scariest Places on Earth" so yeah I need a little laugh to get back to my senses.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aahhh, we are venturing into the world of dreams.
    That is always fun.

FYI here is Merriam Webster's defintion of Incubus:
    Main Entry: in·cu·bus
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin incubare
    Date: 13th century
    1 : an evil spirit that lies on persons in their sleep; especially : one that has sexual intercourse with women while they are sleeping -- compare SUCCUBUS
    2 : NIGHTMARE
    3 : one that oppresses or burdens like a nightmare
    ----------
    Nightmares can be caused by anxiety, stress, tiredness,alcohol or drug use and a variety of other
    issues. Try some relaxation techniques. Avoid alcohol for a while until this doesn't bother you.

There are a variety of books that deal with dreams in the field of psychology. Check your library.
    Conscious dreaming is known as 'Lucid Dreaming', a lot has been written about this lately. Check you library for texts there, I have seen some interesting ones. Some of these should help you understand these normal phenomena regarding.

On a personal note, I know that watching horror movies really freaks me out, they give me horrible dreams, so I don't watch them. AT ALL.

Get some sleep ...

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I second Floyd´s opinion, it´s most likely sleep paralysis.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    HOLY MOLEY!( ;) )
    ****! this used to happen to me! I thought I was crazy, no one I told about it believed me, they had never heard of anything like it.

what happened to me a few times was I'd wake up and, I **** you not, I FELT like a demon was on me, like a picturesque demon, diablo style, that's freaky...I never thought about it much.

happened to me maybe 6 times, hasn't happened in at least 4 years

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That'd be me :)

About your problem though - wow! I've never had anything like that. Sounds bizarre! I hope you get it sorted, but let us know how it turns out.

10. I read Floyd's link. (good work, man;) ) I didn't read every single word, but, I did notice that there were no references to this phenomenon happening to someone sleeping with a partner. It seems that from the reports collected, this only happened to people sleeping alone. The reports also indicated that it happens mostly to adolescents.

Mike

11. Ive had that once, I had a nightmare and when I finally realized it was a nightmare, I couldnt wake up no matter how hard I tried. Eventually my dog started to nudge me and I woke up all sweaty and shaking. I was really scared.

12. have you ever heard of the band dredg (they're my absolute favorite band on earth, and i don't usually tell people about them)? their most recent album "el cielo" is based on sleep paralysis... they have had people write them their experiences with sleep paralysis. then they made songs from the journal entries (which are in the album booklet). it's very interesting. i e-mailed them my experiences, and they put it on their site here. it's the second one from the bottom; scroll way down.

13. here's what i wrote:
    I think I may have experienced what is sleep paralysis when I was a younger child. Whenever my eyes shut, I would hear a sound like a huge pumping piston, or some macinery of the sort, operating underwater. It was not a droning sound; it was rhythmic; like a heart beat, but more evenly spaced between beats. Opening my eyes, staying awake, would prevent this. Once I was asleep, I heard this sound, unceasingly, I remember that vividly. The visuals were usually that of a train, a dirty-orange colored train, flying towards two unknown people, whipping trash and newspapers in it's wake. It was not on a track, and I could see none of the surroundings. I could not move towards them to help, or shout out a warning. They seemed oblivious to the train barreling directly at them. But it never hit them; the entire episode it was almost there, but never seemed to get their, before it was
    over. This happened frequently, at night. It was frightening, but became routine after several months of it happening on a semi-regular basis. But
    still bonechilling. Only one occurence was different than this.
    I was in a room of my home, doing nothing in particular, and my older brother was in the adjacent room. The room has a wide doorway, and no door, so I can see, from my diagonal, half of the room. My brother was on the side which I could not see. Behind a bed on the other side, something began to rise. A presence, a creature, something with malignant intentions rose up into the room, as if from the floor behing the bed. I tried to warn my
    brother, but I could not scream. I saw my own mouth moving, the muscles in my jaw straining, but no noise was made. only the pulsing beat from all of the occurences. This only happened once. I thought that my brother would surely be killed, and that it was my fault. If I tried to move, the presence sensed my attempt to stop it, and would look at me, smiling somehow, and I would be rendered motionless. I suppose I was motionless the entire time, since it did this to me whenever I even thought of moving at all. All that moved was my mouth, screaming soundlessly.
    I could never remember how these episodes ended. They lasted for what seemed like infinity, and I awoke not knowing what had happened at the exact moment before my consciencnious; only what had been happening for what seemed like
    years as I slept. I think that I was awake before they ended, but did not realize it yet, and still could not move or speak. What is this? I pray it
    never returns to me.
    chris wood
    age 15
    braintree, massachusetts

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Geez Chris! That's scary stuff!

That second episode you describe, the "creature" - you say you were awake before it ended... so, you were awake, but still imagining these things, but unable to stop it?

Interesting stuff, though, especially for a younger child, that sounds like a terrifying experience.

Not something I can relate to at all, I should be grateful for that. I've had very few "nightmares" in my life - no particular ones stick out in my memory, and nothing like that. And generally, if in a dream, I realise it's a dream, I find I wake up.

Still, I hope these episodes never return to you - and I would be interested to know what causes them.

That first one you describe, with the train... you were a young child at the time? Was it recurring? When I read your description, I actually thought... past life? But that's just me :)

15. I've had similiar experisenses too many of the above...

When I was a lot younger - around 8? I once split my knee of pretty, got that cleaned up and got a cast. That night I was in my bed, I closed my eyes, and I felt all the blood rush to my head, as if i was panicing while being hung by the feet upside down.
    I'd imagine it if as about to be burned, hanging by the feet, and then Id be stuck watching this...

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow, what you said. I'd never heard specifically of Sleep Paralysis, but when I read that description it was like YES! That's exactly it.

Happened to me twice when I was a small child (4-6), and twice in recent years.

The last time it happened, the sound I heard in my ears was what I'd heard earlier in the day playing a video game. It was as if it had been recorded and was played back.

I've never had the crushing chest bit though. Mostly figures in the room near me and the sound playback.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. I'm pretty sure these episodes have been the most terrifying moments of my life.

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, I've had that happen to me once.. There was this threathening man-like shape standing by the side of my bed, slowly moving closer to me. I knew I was dreaming, but could not wake up, move, scream or do anything. Kind of scary, really.

19. moley-
    i think i was conscious before i escaped from the episode. youknow how when you wake up, you're not up-and-about as soon as you're technically awake? well, it was like that i think; some state in between sleep and fully-awake.

VERY terrifying. as in being awake all night literally frightened to even close my eyes.

not with sleep paralysis. you know that it's a dream of some kind, but can't do anything about it. some people who have had it needed someone else to physically move them and wake them up out of their episodes.

yeah... i was in elementary school, and they lasted a little bit into middle school. The train was the one that happened on a regular basis. i would hear the noise i described as soon as my eyes shut, and once i was asleep the visuals would start.

20. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Freaky.

I have had something akin to that, though quite different. When I was young (probably between 6 and 12), I would get sick and fall asleep. There would be a pounding, mechanical, rhythmic noise...loud, persistent, like the sound of an entire army of iron-clad soldiers marching in step. Then I would fly up to the ceiling, much closer than I could physically get, ie, closer than I could focus or even get to the ceiling without touching my nose to the ceiling. Then I would proceed to fly back and forth across the ceiling, focusing on the minute details. I would then wake up sweating.

Mine past experience is different, but I thought maybe one of you would be interested in looking something like that up and seeing how it relates to sleep paralysis.