Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone happen to know if...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Oct 29, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ... brain freezes are bad?

I had about two or three today eating some ice cream. I always get them, and finally today I decided to start to worry.

2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes - they are a strong indication that you are eating too much ice cream.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No, but eating ice cream 3 times a day might be.

4. And if they are? Who cares!? Gonna die anyway, and I think "Died of a brain freeze" is a pretty cool epitaph!

5. It's actually when the temperature in your mouth is cooler than your body temperature.

Just breath in through your nose and out of your mouth, and you'll be fine.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    yes, they turn you into a CSNY fan :D :bag:

7. My hubby had a bad brain freeze incident today. He came out of the petrol station slurping one of those ice slushy drinks. Then he got in the car and started to drive off - hit the brakes, and was holding his head, making a right fuss and groaning and shouting - "uh, uh, braaaainnn freeeeze"! At first I was laughing at the fuss he was making (it also gave him pains in his back - weird), but then I got annoyed when he wouldn't get a grip, and people were waiting behind our car to get out of the petrol station.

Anyway, after a good minute or two later, he finally recovers, and he doesn't think any more of it - although I was somewhat amazed that anyone could be such a drama queen about brain freeze! Well, later on that evening, his eyesight went really weird. He temporarily lost part of his vision at the edges, and could see squiggles etc., much the same as people do before they have migraines. He doesn't get migraines, and didn't have one after that, but, the vision problems returned a couple of times more after that.

Weird. I don't know if it was connected to the brain freeze incident or not. But defininetely a strange coincidence if it wasn't!

Sorry it's not much help, but thought I would mention it. If anyone else knows anything more about it, I'd also be very interested to know if it could be harmful.

8. +1 At a Name That Tune I entered a slurpee chugging competition(I was the DD so no alcohol for me), I lost(only cuz the winner cheated 4 times even after the judge told her to stop). Afterwords I got a huge case of brain freeze and stomach freeze. I got a hot chocolate and my brain freeze went away when my mouth warmed up.

9. how do u cheat at a slurpee competition? :eyebrow: 4 times no less :p

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Last time I went to Russia... i counted... for 1 month i had around 8 ice creams a day on average... (I was there in winter time)...

How do you know that Russians are badarse... its not that we eat ice cream when its below 35c (-35c) outside while walking around the city... but the fact that at 2am when it was probably below 40 we had to stand in line to get some ice cream:)

(Strangely when it’s cold outside ice cream does not seem all that cold.)

I always hear about this brain freeze but i don’t think i ever gotten one... i am probably immune to it... what is it?

Cheers

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I meant two or three brain freezes. I can't eat that much ice cream, it'd make me sick.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    wow...i'll have to try that.

Another good way to find relief is to place the source of the brain freeze (i.e. ice-cream, slurpee, etc...) on the inside of your wrist. It works, scientifically I don't know why...but it helps.

13. Well, the chick took a gulp before we had to start, took another big swallow after that, gave some to her friend(about half full now) and then instead of having the slurpee down on the table she had it up at her lips pouring it in slowly before the competition started. Pissed me off cuz I lost by about the one small gulp she had at the beginning. The other dudes were about 1/4 of the way done by the time we finished. Didn't take very long, maybe 10-15 seconds or so.

14. Its when your brains feels really really cold after drinking cold beverages or eating cold food really really quickly.

And I know what you mean, my parents are both russian, and I live in Canada, a lot of the time during winter here Im eating ice cream/drinking slurpees at -30C. I just wear a toque and everything is fine.

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I can get with that style. I grew up in a family where ice cream was standard fare no matter what the weather or temperature. I'll take it at 10 below.

16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

You don't hear people talk much about the blessings of being in a really cold place in the winter, but aside from there being no mosquitoes, it sure is nice being able to leave ice cream in the car all winter and have it always available! :hyper:

I'll eat ice cream a dozen times a day if I'm in town going around the shops, or if there's a lot of it in the fridge! :D

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Amen brotha. It's god's food.

I don't keep any in the house so's I can fit through the doorway.