Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone hate beatle basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Jul 31, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I was at an extremely high quality guitar shop near my house, and I checked out the bass dept. The store is an avid collector of fine vintage instruments, so I tried out one of the covetted Hofner Violin basses. I might not have played it as extensively as I could have, but man... I thought that it was one of the worst sounding basses Ive ever played (for that money at least). Does anyone feel the same way?

2. Yes.

I haven't played the real deal, but all the violin style basses I've played have been clunky and dead sounding. I don't like them.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Duh. SO don't buy one.

4. +1 They are what they are... if it's not for you, cool.

5. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Why do so many TBers like to actively disregard peoples' questions on other peoples opinions? I mean... if you dont like the question because its subjective, then why bother posting? If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it. Its also hypocritical. :confused:

6. I actually thought we were being nice.... I was actually agreeing... they have a very unique sound that many people (at least today) don't like. So... if the poster doesn't like them, it's actually very cool.... :confused: Sorry if that didn't come across.

7. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR

hmmm... my bad! :D
    Actually that was a question that has been bugging me for some time now. A lot of people here do it, and i guess that just made me get it out. Sorry!

8. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Oh, and that wasnt to you anyways. It was the the guy who said "duh"

9. No problem...to be fair... my post really didn't add anything either... I was just trying to keep the thread from hurtling in the 'those things suck I can't believe anyone would pay this and that for them... etc.' direction :D

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm not a big fan of them either. The sound is dead and flat, and the body is so small its hard to play (at least for me). Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough... :confused: Weird body design overall IMO.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Not the most ergonomic of bass designs.

Being a big McCartney fan, I've tried (and failed) to love them and all the clones.

12. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think that the body design was sort of revolutionary, and looks good on paper, but I agree. It just doesnt work too well. I think that I was also playing a lot through the bridge pup with flatwounds... :spit:

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't "hate" any basses... seems like a waste of energy. There are basses I like and others that are okay and some I'd rather not play at all. For me a Beatle bass is a specialized instrument and if I weren't going to use one in a vein that it worked well in, I wouldn't. OTOH if it worked for a gig or recording I'd have no problem with using one.

It's just another tool.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1!

Wait, was I not supposed to say that :D :smug:
    Not my thing, either. Not the shape, nor the tone.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Not for everyone for sure but I dig em...

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    ps: Anyone who knows Pat also knows he says "Duh" a lot...[​IMG]

He's also quite a jogger....

[​IMG]

17. Ha.... you are evil! :ninja:

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They've never been my bag of chips, never liked them, always thought they felt cheap. Best playing Beatle Bass I ever played was the Epiphone, which I thought was head and shoulders up against the flimsy, thin-sounding Hofner.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Oh, I dig them, I love to see guys playing them and it's really nice to see Sir Paul playing his, but me pick one up?

I tried, I really tried, but definitely not my thing.

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D