1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone have a Antoniotsai?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Solarmist, Aug 14, 2007.

1. I've been watching them go by on eBay for some time. The inlaid work is amazing-very beautiful guitars. Are they any good or do they just look good?:confused:

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

They look nice, but apparently fall apart easily. There's been a few threads about them. Search away!

There was a recent thread here.

3. Their Acoustic Guitars seem to 'fall apart'. Or start cracking around where the inlays are. Their basses don't seem to have the same tendencies. I owned two for a good while and they held together just fine. Got some fretwork done on one and after that it played perfectly! Stock, the fretwork isn't great, and an electronics upgrade might be good too. The inlays looked pretty sweet though :)

Here are some pictures of the two I had:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v106/JasonFan/7-String Art Rose/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v106/JasonFan/7-String Goddess/

And a soundclip:
    http://www.artistcollaboration.com/users/loki/Art Rose - Boogie.mp3

With the bass EQ on the preamp boosted quite a bit, it sounded great to me :smug:

4. catoblepas

catoblepas

Jun 26, 2007
    manhattan
    third thread in less than that many days. why are they blowing up all of a sudden? hahaha.

well, mine hasn't come in yet - i won it on ebay today and i know it's super pretty. a five banger. i'll let you know how it is as soon as i get it.

5. Cool. Shipping takes a while, coming from Taiwan and all. Let us know your thoughts when you get it. Certainly some nice looking basses for the price, and a great deal if you put a little extra work into them :)

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    IMHO I think the inlay work on most Antoniotsais looks like a dog's dinner, very much an after thought. Most of the time it doesn't fit with the guitar and I don't see the point of inlay work for the sake of inlay work.

7. That's all he does to them, that's why it looks like an after thought.

He buys the basses from a company in China, then he inlays them.

8. He doesn't actually inlay them himself either. It seems that he just designs the inlays and then people on his team do the work. To me, most of the inlays are way over the top, especially when they start going all around the body.

9. Yours is a stunner dude. Nicest one I've seen of his... By far!!! :)

10. Before you buy one, check THIS and THIS. Apparently they have a pretty bad reputation in the craftsmanship department.

11. Those articles relate to the thin slices of wood in acoustic instruments. The inlays in full body slabs of wood have not caused any problems, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of any issues...

12. That's true, but I wouldn't buy anything from them considering their history of ignoring customers who have been sold defective products.

There was this message on the second page that I linked to.

Howdy, I purchased a solid body 5 string bass guitar from Antoniosai through ebay in November 2006. It has no major structural flaws and the inlay is of good craftsmanship. I have watched it with much eagerness as I read this web page after I paid for it. Two months has past, everything is as it arrived. It does have a pickup selector which has never worked and pops loudly if moved the longer I play. I didn't think that was worth returning since both hum buckers are working. The frets hang over the side of the neck a little in some areas. This is noticeable when I grab the neck tight or slide on the strings, it does encourage proper hand technique. It arrived in a well padded gig bag, deluxe quality. The packaging was low quality. The box it came in was all but destroyed and had been re-taped by someone to keep it together. Styrofoam was missing in and crushed. This most likely is the burden of shipping from such a distance, even though the shipping and handling is high. One could say the Styrofoam did its' job, I guess. If it was not for the gig bag it would have been disastrous for the bass. I also play Classic/Flamenco guitar however after reading several web pages about the quality of the hollow body guitars, I want be buying it from Antoiniosai.
    Thank you for the information. E. B. 2/01/2007

Obviously not as severe as the hollow-body/acoustic experiences. I still wouldn't trust them though.

13. Yeah, I'm not sure if I would either. I will say that a dude on here (forget his name offhand) just one a KILLER looking one of e-Bay. Minimal inlays (the over the top ones reek of gaudy anyway), and it just looks killer, with a real Ritter vibe. I posted a pic of it on another Antoniotsai thread. I'll go find now...

14. Found....

IMG_6125.

15. Yeah. Just make sure that you really read through that website. It's very misleading. There are very few 'posts' there from people with actual first-hand experience with the instruments, and the few that do really have problems are almost all related to the acoustic instruments.

Almost every single post on that 2nd website is someone just saying "thanks for this website/info, now I'm definitely not going to buy one". Blablabla. Makes it look like there's a lot more negative reviews than there really are.

Customer Service isn't very good, since he's in Taiwan and doesn't speak english all too well. I dunno, isn't an issue for me.

16. Wow, thats probably one of the best looking ones Ive seen thus far.. Wonder where one like that could be found... :confused:

17. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Here is mine

100_1186.
    100_1191.
    100_1188.
    100_1187.

I got it used to see if I liked a 7 string or not. It is not a bad bass at all. It had some fretwork done before I got it and it plays as good as a $600 bass should. The electronics are pretty good too, not much definition or refinement but a good ballsy sound. My one beef is the weight. This thing is dog assed heavy!!!!!!!!

They are not a custom instrument by any means but I get nothing but compliments on the inlay work and sound. Some of the inlay work is tacky but some like this one are not too bad at all.

18. catoblepas

catoblepas

Jun 26, 2007
    manhattan
    i just ordered it and it should be coming in about a month or two.

edit:
    that would be me.

19. Where did you order from?

20. Oh I know. And you were told in the other Antoniotsai thread that I (we) expect a THOROUGH review!!!! :D

Seriously though, good luck. I'm way eager to hear about that bass dude!